• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What's the deal with Cox, then?

Quality player, who works really hard, normally, as well.

I'd have thought he'd be one of the first three or four names on the sheet.

The general consensus here appears that we should drop our two top scorers:thumbdown:
Didn't realise that being top goalscorer gave you immunity from ever being dropped.

Wordsworth has been poor recently and needs to be dropped, it doesn't matter how many goals he has scored.

A couple of changes but not massive. If Ferdinand is unfit move White there and Demitrou back in.
Wordsworth stays in as he is well worth his place in the side and is liable to score goals more than Timlin

Smith
White Thompson Ferdinand Coker
Atkinson Wordsworth Leonard Mc Laughlin
Ranger Cox

Subs Bexton. Demitrou. Innis. Timlin. Amos. Fortune. Mc Glashan

I wonder, despite the good strikers we have, if their roles do not overlap too much. Who is the out and out scorer? Cox? For me he has done very well this season and scored goals but, as his assists show, he is just as likely to create chances as take chances. Ranger is a unit without a great goal scoring pedigree. I am sure he has it in him at this level to bag a good few but he primarily seems to be a target man. The same can be said for MAF. Fortune has done brilliantly with us and is a great advert for professionalism. He has added some goals but in the main he puts himself about, very well, and feeds others in.

For me, out of the options, Cox is the most likely to score regularly and I would probably prefer him to be more selfish. He has a lot of assists but more of his efforts to supply others have failed to end in a goal as the others are less accomplished in front of the onion bag.

Quite how the team sets up best is a quandary. 4-3-1-2 would be ideal with Cox behind Ranger/MAF and Robinson. The problem is it would leave the midfield light and probably narrow. I have no answer to this. So in the main it may be best to stay 4-4-2 and get Cox to be more selfish. I believe it would reap more reward.

A couple of changes but not massive. If Ferdinand is unfit move White there and Demitrou back in.
Wordsworth stays in as he is well worth his place in the side and is liable to score goals more than Timlin

Smith
White Thompson Ferdinand Coker
Atkinson Wordsworth Leonard Mc Laughlin
Ranger Cox

Subs Bexton. Demitrou. Innis. Timlin. Amos. Fortune. Mc Glashan

Wot, no Robinson??? I thought he was very effective on Saturday.

Wot, no Robinson??? I thought he was very effective on Saturday.

I am going to Coventry but did not go to Gas. So cant comment on that game, from what i have seen latley/
Robinson is a very good signing but I think Ranger and Cox would be more effective.
We have a very strong bench. No O'Neill or to me Robinson is behind MAF and Mc Glashan. Hard Choice though!!

I wonder, despite the good strikers we have, if their roles do not overlap too much. Who is the out and out scorer? Cox? For me he has done very well this season and scored goals but, as his assists show, he is just as likely to create chances as take chances. Ranger is a unit without a great goal scoring pedigree. I am sure he has it in him at this level to bag a good few but he primarily seems to be a target man. The same can be said for MAF. Fortune has done brilliantly with us and is a great advert for professionalism. He has added some goals but in the main he puts himself about, very well, and feeds others in.

For me, out of the options, Cox is the most likely to score regularly and I would probably prefer him to be more selfish. He has a lot of assists but more of his efforts to supply others have failed to end in a goal as the others are less accomplished in front of the onion bag.

Quite how the team sets up best is a quandary. 4-3-1-2 would be ideal with Cox behind Ranger/MAF and Robinson. The problem is it would leave the midfield light and probably narrow. I have no answer to this. So in the main it may be best to stay 4-4-2 and get Cox to be more selfish. I believe it would reap more reward.

Agreed - I think Cox could play a role behind a strike force ........... and he was asked to play this role away at Rochdale and sometimes (as in the Port Vale game) Cox comes deeper to get the ball when there is bugger all service being provided. The big question is how to set up the rest of the midfield so that the team is not vulnerable to attack?

Maybe Wordy could be left out but that leaves a big void in our ability to score goals from midfield positions. I am not sure if Amos is a goalscoring midfielder, if he is then give him a go. Otherwise possibly play Cox in Wordsworth's usual role. I hope we don't just rely on Atkinson and Timlin to make forward runs into goalscoring positions, we have had that problem in the past, they very rarely score and are better in breaking up play. McLaughlin needs to start, maybe we then do without Wordy.

This is what the Coventry fans think of MAF by the way ............

He was **** poor but would be first on the team sheet versus the shower of **** we have this season.

...... basically a poor mans Tudgay in my opinion, and I don't hold Tudgay in especially high regard.

All he did was hold the ball up & it took him a minute to turn.. saw no footballing ability in him whatsoever. Would go down as a Coventry City great if he was part of our current squad.

He looked unplayable on one day, performance against Shrewsbury at home comes to mind.

However that was about the only game he showed up. 95% of the time he looked like a poor Sunday league footballer, and I'm not one to just throw about phrases like that. His touch was absymal, the legs had gone, he turned as slow as a truck and one of the worse finishers I've seen at the club. He was so bad that our fans resorted to mock chanting of 'Fortune, Fortune' every time he completed a successful pass or did something other than being total ****. Most city fans were glad to see the back of him, I don't think we've missed him and I think he would make us even worse than we currently are.

It took him a long time to get going. He did a lot of holding the ball up but not a lot else until the last handful of games where strangely enough we picked up some form again and started winning some games. Based on his last few performances you could say he would have been a difference here this season, based on all his other performance's you would sat he'd be typical of all of our players pretty much this season.

I am going to Coventry but did not go to Gas. So cant comment on that game, from what i have seen latley/
Robinson is a very good signing but I think Ranger and Cox would be more effective.
We have a very strong bench. No O'Neill or to me Robinson is behind MAF and Mc Glashan. Hard Choice though!!

I was at the Bristol Rovers match and I thought that Theo was very effective when he came on. I agree that it's a hard choice between Robinson and McGlashan but I think Robinson is just ahead at the moment.

Stat (bound to end tonight) ;

In their last 20 home games, 100% of the 20 goals scored by Coventry have come in open play, whilst 0% have come from set-pieces.

Wouldnt surprise me if the side that finished the game at Bristol start tonight.Depends on who the injured players are.Would like to see Macca and Robinson start the match so we can get at the Coventry side just like Bristol did to us on Saturday.Anything less than 3 points would be dissapointing

Back