• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricket Book

Fewer tests were played back in Headley's era. His fewer tests were over a longer period (not helped by an interruption for WWII in what would have been his prime). That said I didn't realise Pollock played tests over as many years as he did.

Spin never died out in Asia. The West Indies carried on playing pace until this decade; occasionally picking Benn is more a reflection on their pace attack these days than on Warne's impact. In Australia pre Warne there was Tim May (and Stuart MacGill was a contemporary), now there's nobody. South Africa weren't playing test cricket pre-Warne, plus their spinners have been crap. Who does that leave? NZ - Dipak Patel opened the bowling in the 1992 World Cup, that was pre-Warne. Warne's biggest impact is probably in England. Ian Salisbury and Chris Schofield won test caps almost entirely down to Warne (although Salisbury was first capped before England had faced Warne) and the current generation of leggies in county cricket (Munday, Beer, Lawson and Rashid (although leg-spin in Asia never died) can probably be attributed to Warne. I think it is a lazy cliche to say Warne changed spin bowling and re-invigorated it and it is a predominantly Anglo-centric or Aussie-patriotic view to say so.

Sangakkara's 192 in Hobart was one of the finest innings I've ever seen - up there with Gooch's 154* at Headingley. That wasn't against Bangaldesh and it wasn't in Sri Lanka. His average may well be enhanced by playing a fair number of games at the SCC or against the Bangles but this boy can bat. He averages more than Gilchrist did against South Africa (53 v 47) and India (42 v 27) plus if Sangakkara did pad his average against Bangladesh, he's had to face Australia (41.91) something Gilchrist has never had to do.

As for Murali, I think the fact he played in such a weak attack makes his record all the more impressive. Batsmen seek to just see him off, but he's still taken 800 wickets. Warne benefited from the pressure applied at the other end and from not having to bowl against his own team.

Pollock came in to the Saffer side I think in the 1963/64 series in Australia and made an instant impact. Bear in mind because of apartheid South Africa played fewer tests as they would only play England, NZ & the convicts restricting his career all the more. Polock wasn't your usual elegant left hander, but punished all forms of bowling equally well, from a cricket perspective it was a shame he didn't play more tests as it would have been interesting to see how he would have finished in the all time list.

We're not going to agree ever on the Warne/Murali debate, so I'll leave it there. Although I hope you'd know I am not Aussie-patriotic.:)

I do agree with you about the ability of Sangakara as a batsman, and that 192 was an epic. Good point about Gooch's 154* up there as one of the best of all time, I'd rank the Pollock 125 I mentioned earlier alongside it.

I reckon Sir Garfield Sobers would make pretty much every list too.

I'll check my 2000 copy of Wisden when I'm back at home, but when they did their vote for the five cricketers of the 20th century, I think each of the 100 voters (all either former Test players or respected commentators such as John Woodcock or CMJ) chose Bradman and all bar one or two contrary sods picked Sobers.

I'll get back to you on that one later....

Turns out 90/100 voted for Sobers.

Turns out 90/100 voted for Sobers.

I think that is fair enough. He was a great player, but his bowling record wouldn't be enough to get him many overs in an All-time XI. If you look at him as a batsman it is a more marginal decision. I'd have him, but it wouldn't be an automatic selection like Bradman.

I think that is fair enough. He was a great player, but his bowling record wouldn't be enough to get him many overs in an All-time XI. If you look at him as a batsman it is a more marginal decision. I'd have him, but it wouldn't be an automatic selection like Bradman.

I'd definitely have both (and did), and it would be marginal who I would have as captain, Bradman would get my vote.

I found out last night that wicket keepers really don't like any fielders behind them being called a longstop - I guess they think it's a slur on their abilities. So, obviously I'd never mention it at every available opportunity...

Naps - you can often get TMS on medium wave - usually around 720 AM, which is a frequency that BBC World Service sometimes seem to inhabit. Of course, it's still available on Radio 4 Longwave - 198.

As for my all time XI...

Gavaskar
Hammond
Bradman
Lara
Richards (capt)
Sobers
Botham
Gilchrist (wk)
Warne
Ambrose
McGrath

I won't do detailed reasons for picking that XI, but to summarise...

* I wanted at least one Indian in the side, and Sunny Gavaskar has to go down as one of the finest openers the game has ever seen. With him goes Wally Hammond - a test average of close to 60 in an era of uncovered pitches is amazing enough, but add to that the fact he was an opener, and chuck in his almost 50% conversion rate of half centuries to tons, you begin to see why he has to be included. His first class bowling figure of 732 wickets at 30.5 each is none too shabby either!

* The Don needs no explanation. Lara is also the most phenomenal run-scorer I've ever seen.

* Sir Viv has to go in - the most spell-binding cricketer of my youth, for sure; he's my captain too. Sobers goes in at 6 - not merely for his bowling, but for a batting average of 56!

* Gilchrist goes in for being a cricketing revolution of his own - he has transformed the role of wicketkeeper. Imagine someone coming in at 7, with a test average of almost 48 and a strike rate of almost 82?! You can see how Australia have dominated world cricket for so long with a weapon like him in the side. Beefy remains a cricketing hero to anyone my age, so goes in at 8.

* I've picked Warne rather than Murali... because (as he steps away from the fuse...) there's always going to be the whiff of "chucker" about Murali, even if that is egregiously unfair. Warne, on the other hand, spun on pitches not reknowned for being bunsens (unlike Murali) and, perhaps more importantly, reinvigorated the art of spin in the world of cricket - even if his legacy has been divisive. Besides, I just think he's a more exciting cricketer, and isn't that what it's about?

* Ambrose and McGrath may seem like an odd last pair - you may say "why not Walsh?" - to which the answer is that it seems to me that you need either Walsh or McGrath, but not both, because they're both very similar bowlers. Of the two, I pick Glenda. If he'd had Curtley in tandem with the new ball, with Curtley making the batsmen smell the leather with every other delivery, then I dread to think how many wickets Glenda would have picked up, using the water-torture "outside off" delivery that was his trademark.

So, there's my XI. You could (with the exception of the Don) easily pick another XI with none of those players and have a bloody good stab at justifying them - how about:

Hobbs
Dravid
Kallis
Tendulkar
Miandad
Sangakkara (wk)
Imran Khan (capt)
Hadlee
Muralitharan
Garner
Marshall

I reckon a match between those two XIs would be bloody close, with perhaps only the Don's presence in the first XI tilting it fully in their favour.

Matt

Right I'm bored so I'm going to bite

First you've copied my side and made a couple of changes to pass it off as your own!

FWIW Courtney Walsh wouldn't even get into my all-time West Indian team. Good player, but the bar here is high. He was never the WIndies number one bowler and was their 3rd or 4th seamer for much of his career. Amazing longevity, but there were better bowlers. From the West Indies alone I'd rate Marshall, Ambrose, Garner, Rev Hall, Griffith, Holding, Roberts, Bishop (pre-injury) above him.

Murali might be a chucker, but Warne is a drugs cheat. I'm out on my own questioning Warne's legacy: but where is it? He's revitalised spin bowling (leg-spin in particular) and Australia name Nathan Hauritz as their sole spinner? Warne started out as part of a two-man attack with Tim May a lot of the time. Their best two leg-spinners are 36 year old Bryce mcGain and the now retired Stuart MacGill. Australian spin is in a worse position than pre-Warne.

Gilchrist didn't reinvent the wicketkeeper's role: batsmen-keepers has been probably an eternal debate, but if you mention strike-rate and his counter-attacking style and fast scoring did help change test cricket.

FWIW Courtney Walsh wouldn't even get into my all-time West Indian team. Good player, but the bar here is high. He was never the WIndies number one bowler and was their 3rd or 4th seamer for much of his career. Amazing longevity, but there were better bowlers. From the West Indies alone I'd rate Marshall, Ambrose, Garner, Rev Hall, Griffith, Holding, Roberts, Bishop (pre-injury) above him.

Again, I don't think I disagree with you much. You'll see my alternative XI has got Marshall and Garner in it, not Walsh; I only mentioned him because Ambrose was there - and the two were synonymous. During the 90s, in particular, Ambrose did the work and Walsh got the wickets... it was a bit weird like that. It's why Ambrose and McGrath would be such an effective combo.

I'd probably put Marshall, Garner, Holding and Roberts above Walsh, who I'd see in a cadre with Bishop, Patterson and Hall.

Incidentally, thinking further about my XI and West Indian cricket, I'm painfully aware that none of the three Ws are in my side - and perhaps ought to be, albeit I don't know enough about them.

Murali might be a chucker, but Warne is a drugs cheat. I'm out on my own questioning Warne's legacy: but where is it? He's revitalised spin bowling (leg-spin in particular) and Australia name Nathan Hauritz as their sole spinner? Warne started out as part of a two-man attack with Tim May a lot of the time. Their best two leg-spinners are 36 year old Bryce mcGain and the now retired Stuart MacGill. Australian spin is in a worse position than pre-Warne.

I knew that was coming! Is he really a drugs cheat, or a stupid, vain wally? I doubt very much that Warne's slimming drugs were performance enhancing; I suspect he took them because he wanted to text birds and then follow-up on it!

I don't disagree that he was very divisive and has not left any legacy. But he's also the most exciting spinner I've ever seen; and that's why he's in.

Gilchrist didn't reinvent the wicketkeeper's role: batsmen-keepers has been probably an eternal debate, but if you mention strike-rate and his counter-attacking style and fast scoring did help change test cricket.

Ooh... I may, just, have a scintilla of a disagreement with you here!

From the 70s to the 90s, the expert glovemen held sway - Dujon, Knott, Russell, Marsh, Healy. Australia changed that with Gilchrist, whose glovework was nothing like as good as any of those just mentioned... but whose batting was utterly explosive.

It did mark a sea-change in attitudes. It extended Alec Stewart's Test career significantly, it foreshortened Fozzie's, it saw the Saffers working with the likes of Boucher and saw the rise of the likes of Sangakkara and Dhoni. It has significantly raised the bar for wicketkeepers, from a batting point of view - and glovework (perhaps sadly, for the purists) definitely takes second place... although keep an eye out for Denesh Ramdin - one of the few West Indians to impress on this tour, and someone who has a very promising career ahead of him - but also, whose glovework is not bad and improving all the time.

:)

Matt

Just going to add my thoughts on the Warne vs Murali discussion. For me it would have to be Warne for a different reason, In bowling terms there is very little to choose between then but imo if he had put his mind to it Warne could have been a very good all rounder, you could even argue he was.

Yes he may only of had an average of just over 17, but despite coming in late in the innings still managed 12 50's and with more apllication and a shift up the batting order could have quite comfortably of improved his batting average.

Again, I don't think I disagree with you much. You'll see my alternative XI has got Marshall and Garner in it, not Walsh; I only mentioned him because Ambrose was there - and the two were synonymous. During the 90s, in particular, Ambrose did the work and Walsh got the wickets... it was a bit weird like that. It's why Ambrose and McGrath would be such an effective combo.

I'd probably put Marshall, Garner, Holding and Roberts above Walsh, who I'd see in a cadre with Bishop, Patterson and Hall.

Incidentally, thinking further about my XI and West Indian cricket, I'm painfully aware that none of the three Ws are in my side - and perhaps ought to be, albeit I don't know enough about them.

I'm with you on the three Ws, I know they are greats but I don't know enough about them to separate them!

Ambrose and McGrath would be scary as a combo: no-one would ever score any runs off them.

I knew that was coming! Is he really a drugs cheat, or a stupid, vain wally? I doubt very much that Warne's slimming drugs were performance enhancing; I suspect he took them because he wanted to text birds and then follow-up on it!

The drugs he took were a well known masking agent. At the time he was coming back from a shoulder injury (rather quickly it must be said as well).

Murali was cleared by the ICC, Warne was convicted, yet Murali is the cheat? This has always rankled with me the way people are willing to cast stones at Murali, yet ignore Warne's numerous indiscretions (lest it not be forgotten, Warne was also found guilty of an inappropriate dealings with a bookie).

I don't disagree that he was very divisive and has not left any legacy. But he's also the most exciting spinner I've ever seen; and that's why he's in.

I don't think he is divisive at all, I've still a huge amount of respect for his bowling. Everyone seems to love him, you never hear a bad word said about him and great claims are made about his impact that seemingly aren't backed up by the facts. Murali is the divisive one.

Ooh... I may, just, have a scintilla of a disagreement with you here!

From the 70s to the 90s, the expert glovemen held sway - Dujon, Knott, Russell, Marsh, Healy. Australia changed that with Gilchrist, whose glovework was nothing like as good as any of those just mentioned... but whose batting was utterly explosive.

It did mark a sea-change in attitudes. It extended Alec Stewart's Test career significantly, it foreshortened Fozzies, it saw the Saffers working with the likes of Boucher and saw the rise of the likes of Sangakkara and Dhoni. It has significantly raised the bar for wicketkeepers, from a batting point of view - and glovework (perhaps sadly, for the purists) definitely takes second place... although keep an eye out for Denesh Ramdin - one of the few West Indians to impress on this tour, and someone who has a very promising career ahead of him - but also, whose glovework is not bad and improving all the time.

:)

Matt

Rod Marsh was known as iron gloves, which wasn't earned as a compliment to his early keeping. Knott was a fine, fine keeper, but Bob Taylor fans maintain that their man was the better keeper, he just lacked Knott's ability with the bat. Russell was regularly dropped for Stewart, and as good as Russell was might not even have been the best keeper in county cricket (Keith Piper was only good enough to bat at 9 for Warwickshire, I think Colin Metson batted on occasions at 10 for Glamorgan - Russell's batting was what put him above guys like these, as Russell was still known to muff chances from time to time)

Are you suggesting that Stewart would have been dropped if it wasn't for Gilchrist?

Gilchrist only made his test debut in November 1999. Duncan Fletcher was already England coach by then and had already decided Stewart was his keeper.

Even before Gilchrist had made his debut, England had selected Chris Read because he was considered (laughably) the wicketkeeper most likely to make test match hundreds, having scored his maiden hundred the week before in front of a selector.

Boucher was already South Africa's keeper, a young Sangakkara made his debut just 6 months later when Gilchrist still only had one test match century to his name.

Gilchrist maybe epitomises batsmen-keepers, but if you look closely there was already that trend in international cricket. Maybe you can say Gilchrist legitimised that trend, but he certainly wasn't the first. Where you could say he was far more influential was in power hitting, in batsmen bulking up, hitting over the top knowing their mis-hits could still make the boundary. Batting at a strike-rate of around 90, taking the bowlers on wasn't necessary new (the likes of IVA Richards and IT Botham may have done it once or twice) but it made counter-attacking from 6 or 7 in the order a vitally important tool. Maybe Gilchrist paved the way for Hayden to return to international cricket by showing that that sort of aggressive style could be highly profitable.

Gilchrist may epitomise batsmen-keepers, but he was far from the first and I'd suggest he wasn't the best batsman to have kept wicket either. I'd suggest Sangakkara, A. Flower and Walcott (if I've got the right W) were all better batsmen. Gilchrist's claim is founded on his explosiveness. He might not have been as good as Flower or Kumar, but he was more dangerous.

Are you suggesting that Stewart would have been dropped if it wasn't for Gilchrist?

Gilchrist may epitomise batsmen-keepers, but he was far from the first and I'd suggest he wasn't the best batsman to have kept wicket either. I'd suggest Sangakkara, A. Flower and Walcott (if I've got the right W) were all better batsmen. Gilchrist's claim is founded on his explosiveness. He might not have been as good as Flower or Kumar, but he was more dangerous.

Well, it's complete speculation on my part - but I just got the sense that Gilchrist's explosion onto the scene (which, you're right, came about not merely because of his run-scoring, but the manner in which he did it) caused a certain amount of trepidation at the ECB. Let's say that Australia had still had a Healy - or someone like him - then maybe Fozzie would have been given more of a chance. He was young, an excellent glove-man and had shown some very early promise with the bat. Who's to say that he might not have been given another chance after his injury, if the Ockers hadn't had Gilchrist?

Gilchrist's presence meant that England felt they had to fight fire with fire - and so the swashbuckling Stewart got to keep his place. That is, of course, entirely speculation on my part... but then I've got to stick up for Fozzie, haven't I?!

Very good point about the others you mention - I'd forgotten about Flower, of course, although (a) don't know much about his keeping; (b) he'd have been in the side as a specialist batsman, no question; and (c) with countries with a limited pool of players from which to draw, like Zim & NZ, you get the feeling that players tend to have to multi-task and/or adapt their games, like Mark Richardson (or Jeff Wilson - heck, adapt their sports in his case!)... and so one perhaps may not give all aspects of their game the credit that often is due.

Sir Clyde Walcott was, indeed, the wicketkeeper out of the three Ws - and with a Test average of 58, may well edge Sangakkara out from my alternative XI, not least so that I can get one of the Ws in there!

Well, it's complete speculation on my part - but I just got the sense that Gilchrist's explosion onto the scene (which, you're right, came about not merely because of his run-scoring, but the manner in which he did it) caused a certain amount of trepidation at the ECB. Let's say that Australia had still had a Healy - or someone like him - then maybe Fozzie would have been given more of a chance. He was young, an excellent glove-man and had shown some very early promise with the bat. Who's to say that he might not have been given another chance after his injury, if the Ockers hadn't had Gilchrist?

First, I think you've got to look at this issue in a more global manner, the English are far too fixated by the Ashes at the detriment to their cricket. England look in awe at Australia but the rest of the world aren't necessarily so fawning.

Second, I think Fletcher knew what he was doing and he wanted his keeper to bat (and also his spinner).

Third, the position was Stewart's and Stewart had to perform badly to be stripped of it. By 1999 he'd turned himself into a competent keeper and his keeping was easily as good as Gilchrist's. There simply wasn't a vacancy for Foster to be considered for.

Very good point about the others you mention - I'd forgotten about Flower, of course, although (a) don't know much about his keeping; (b) he'd have been in the side as a specialist batsman, no question; and (c) with countries with a limited pool of players from which to draw, like Zim & NZ, you get the feeling that players tend to have to multi-task and/or adapt their games, like Mark Richardson (or Jeff Wilson - heck, adapt their sports in his case!)... and so one perhaps may not give all aspects of their game the credit that often is due.

I think it is more a case of players from the smaller countries get overlooked by the experts. Gilchrist was nothing more than adequate with the gloves, so I don't have any issue with comparing Flower's keeping to Gilchrist's.

Sir Clyde Walcott was, indeed, the wicketkeeper out of the three Ws - and with a Test average of 58, may well edge Sangakkara out from my alternative XI, not least so that I can get one of the Ws in there!

Unfortunately I know next to nothing about Walcott's ability as a keeper. I'm not even sure if he always kept wicket. Harry - your help please!

Apologies for taking your thread off-course Slipper, but I'm enjoying a bit of good cricket discussion.

Apologies for taking your thread off-course Slipper, but I'm enjoying a bit of good cricket discussion.

Blimey I go out for the afternoon!! Bloody good discussion as well.

Taking up the subject of the three W's I only saw Worrell and that was at the tail end of his career when he captained the 1963 WIndies side here, and he died of leukemia about 18 months after that tour. Although a pale shadow of the batsman he must have been in the 40's & 50's he was a vey graceful player.

I never saw Weekes or Walcott unfortunatel but from what I can gather Walcott was a power player and Weekes the more elegant. Weekes is still alive and looked wonderfully fit when he was shown on tv during the recent England tour of the West Indies.

Entering the WIndies fast bowling debate the best IMO were Marshall, Hall, Holding, Roberts, Ambrose & Garner. Walsh was a damn bowler and maintained an incredible longevity. There's plenty of others who also deserve a mention such as Wayne Daniel, Ezra Moseley & Sylvester Clarke.

Don't be daft, I've spent the last three weeks immersing myself in cricket and things like this can only help. I knew everything about everything up until about 1993 and then only scraps here and there until now. So much has changed since I was a member at Essex.

Worst England Test XI

Steve James
Rob Bailey
Aftab Habib
Usman Afzaal
Ian Ward
Anthony McGrath
Rikki Clarke
Richard Blakey (WK)
Chris Schofield
Martin Saggers
Darren Pattinson