• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Game Over.

Yet another choke by the saffers :hilarious:

That was a proper choke by them. They were cruising to the low target set by New Zealand and then mid innings utterly stood still. In the ten overs from Kallis getting out they scored 21 runs and lost 4 wickets.

IF England win tomorrow this could get extremely interesting, I'd fancy us to take New Zealand down. England vs Pakistan final, its written in the underground Indian bookmakers.

If you aren't going to get excited about someone who was the 2nd highest wicket-taker in first class cricket as a 20 year old (and 5th highest English qualified wicket-taker last year to show that wasn't a fluke), when are you going to get excited about a prospect?

Moreover, he hasn't just taken lots of wickets, he actually projects as a potential international bowler as he turns the ball both ways - the only spinners who have enjoyed sustained success at international level since covered pitches were introduced have, without exception, either been leg-spinners or have developed a doosra.

English leg-spinners are a rare commodity.

Young English leg-spinners are rarer still.

Youg English leg-spinners who top the first class wicket-takers charts are even rarer.

Young English leg-spinners who top the first class wicket-takers charts whilst playing their cricket in the first division are rarer yet.

Young English leg-spinners who top the first class wicket-takers charts, whilst playing first division cricket and can bat are as rare as the way all steaks should be cooked. And when I say cooked, I mean allowed to be rapidly passed over a candle.

Rashid averages more with the bat than he does with the ball. He's been a big factor with both bat and ball for Yorkshire when they've been challenging for the first division title. This winter he won the Australia Big Bash 20:20 competition with South Australia, was the third leading wicket-taker in the competition (the two who beat him, did so by a single wicket and took their wickets more expensively).

He might not be there yet, but he's easily our best spin bowling prospect in a couple of decades (which admittedly is a particularly hollow Gareth Batty almost shaped boast) and has the most impressive county CV of a young all-rounder (although keep an eye out for Woakes next season) since I'd guess Botham. That doesn't mean he's going to reproduce those stats and performances at international level, but he's got easily the highest ceiling and even if he doesn't reach that ceiling, I'd suggest that he's a more likely to positively influence an ODI than Michael Yardy.

For ****'s sake YB. You spend weeks frustrating the hell out of me, then I read a post as good as this and find myself in total agreement.

IF England win tomorrow this could get extremely interesting, I'd fancy us to take New Zealand down. England vs Pakistan final, its written in the underground Indian bookmakers.

I'd settle for a repeat of 1992 with England winning this time please.

It's slow going for England so far against Sri Lanka, just over 3 an over currently.

If England had a decent bowling attack it would be competitive, but I can see Tremlett being expensive and with them knowing 4.5 an over is enough they wont have to take risks.

There's a theory that the future of ODI cricket is dependent on a strong showing from India in this world cup.

For ****'s sake YB. You spend weeks frustrating the hell out of me, then I read a post as good as this and find myself in total agreement.

Ha ha, I can do an argument as to why Rashid is unlikely to succeed in international cricket as well if you want but he's the player I'd most like to see fulfil his potential.

BTW Woakes rescued the Lions with a hundred last night. Expect unhelpful phrases like "new Botham/Flintoff" to be sprayed around like a Jimmy Anderson opening over sooner rather than later.

If England had a decent bowling attack it would be competitive, but I can see Tremlett being expensive and with them knowing 4.5 an over is enough they wont have to take risks.

Sri Lanka didn't have a tall seamer playing though. Malinga is very slingy, whereas Tremlett could extract bounce which would trouble the Lankan batsmen. Whether Tremlett can extract that bounce could therefore be the key.

I feel that extras could be key here. I think we're probably about 30 short so it's imperative that we keep the bowling tight.

Get the feeling Strauss will step down as ODI Captain. Any thoughts on who should replace him if he does? My choice, although a little leftfield, would be Stuart Broad; young intelligent chap who would have time to grow into the role and mould the side around him. Hope they don't play it safe and opt for Cook who, for me, isn't the right pedigree for 50 over cricket at the highest level.

Get the feeling Strauss will step down as ODI Captain. Any thoughts on who should replace him if he does? My choice, although a little leftfield, would be Stuart Broad; young intelligent chap who would have time to grow into the role and mould the side around him. Hope they don't play it safe and opt for Cook who, for me, isn't the right pedigree for 50 over cricket at the highest level.

Would Broad want the burden, though? Captaining a side on lengthy tours requires a certain amount of experience and I just don't think Broad is necessarily ready for that. Broad's integral to the attack, so why potentially distract him at this age. KP, perhaps?

Would Broad want the burden, though? Captaining a side on lengthy tours requires a certain amount of experience and I just don't think Broad is necessarily ready for that. Broad's integral to the attack, so why potentially distract him at this age. KP, perhaps?

The ODI / T20 element of a tour is either at the start or end of the tour, therefore Broad wouldn't be captain for the whole tour. I advocated Broad or Cook earlier in this thread, and tend to agree with DBP that Cook doesn't quite cut it for the one day side, yet. Although he may be a like for like replacement for Strauss in the team. I doubt if they'll go back to KP added to which I'm not sure if Flower really trusts him.

The ODI / T20 element of a tour is either at the start or end of the tour, therefore Broad wouldn't be captain for the whole tour. I advocated Broad or Cook earlier in this thread, and tend to agree with DBP that Cook doesn't quite cut it for the one day side, yet. Although he may be a like for like replacement for Strauss in the team. I doubt if they'll go back to KP added to which I'm not sure if Flower really trusts him.

Oh I know, but if for instance it's at the end of a tour then the circumstances can be hugely demanding. As we've seen with Yardy, it's something that can prove to be a minefield and I just feel that, unlike football perhaps, the captaincy is a 24-hour role that requires substantial experience and man-management. KP, for me, would understand that aspect more than Broad purely given that he's been around the block although I make you right about Flower not trusting him. In all honesty I'd be happy with Broad as he does seem like a down-to-earth, well rounded professional.

I don't like giving the captaincy to the most important players as I want them able to concentrate on their own game not be burdened. Broad is one of the best ODI bowlers in the world, and also integral to our test team and Id rather he concentrates on improving his own game (in respect of whihc there is still plenty of scope) rather than have the added responsibility at this stage.

Id be tempted to give it to Collingwood actually for a year or two as he doesnt have tests anymore, but maybe not as he wont be around in 4 years. Maybe even Bell then as he is likely to stay part of the one day team but his current performances are not likely to be hindered by captaincy.....

Back