• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ripple has been a phenomenon. To be the 3rd largest crypto behind bitcoin and ethereum without being supported on coin base is something note worthy. If it does go on coin base those people sitting on it now will reap big rewards I would have thought.

Where do you guys store your cryptocurrency as online advice is never to leave it in the exchange but to transfer to a paper or hardware wallet?

Where do you guys store your cryptocurrency as online advice is never to leave it in the exchange but to transfer to a paper or hardware wallet?

Etoro are supposed to be adding a wallet to option to allow clients to store their coins safely. That said, if it's just CFD trading, you never own any coins, you are just betting on the value.

Yeah there have been a few "hacks" and of course Mt Gox where people have lost their currency. I do have a paper wallet but I haven't transferred anything to it as I think Coinbase is pretty safe and I like to have the currnecy there for the option of quick buying and selling in dips and rises. If I ever make a conscious decision to hold a currency for a long period of time then I will transfer to my paper wallet

I read that the currency that Coinbase holds is insured. If there was a breach of its online storage, the insurance would pay out to cover any funds lost as a result. 98% of its funds were stored offline says on their site.

This morning I purchased £55 of Ripple on another trading site but i'd like to store this offline as I want to keep it longterm, probably in a paper wallet as you say, so no tealeaf can half inch it.

Was it straight forward to setup?

I read that the currency that Coinbase holds is insured. If there was a breach of its online storage, the insurance would pay out to cover any funds lost as a result. 98% of its funds were stored offline says on their site.

This morning I purchased £55 of Ripple on another trading site but i'd like to store this offline as I want to keep it longterm, probably in a paper wallet as you say, so no tealeaf can half inch it.

Was it straight forward to setup?

Very simple as I remember, although it was a bitcoin wallet. I just got it out of my wallet to see if it had any reference to the website I set it up on but it only has the private key and the QR code.

Anyone prepared to admit how much they lost?
I didn't lose anything, I should have cashed in much earlier than I did though. I took my initial stake out from my profit quite early so I was never in danger of being down. I invested £1800 in total and when I cashed everything out I had a total return of just under £4000, so I more than doubled my money. The sickener was that I could have cashed everything out for £9000 at the height of Bitcoin and Litecoin. I still wouldn't write Bitcoin off. It will be 10 years old next year and has made massive strides, despite the bubble. In times of political uncertainty it still has the potential to be a very good store of value. I'm still keeping my eye on it even though I don't have anything invested.

In the last month bitcoin seems to have had a bit of a resurgence going from £2995 to £4334 and now at £4226. I don't have any crypto anymore but do keep an eye on it, really don't think bitcoin is dead.

I recently did a course on Cyber Insurance and ransomware, the increase is massive and all ransom is paid in bitcoin. I can see sustained growth for bitcoin at a much slower pace than previously. Depends in whether you'd want to invest in something that is growing due to illegal activity, albeit indirectly. Buying a house means that I've not got the spare cash to have a go myself.

In the last month bitcoin seems to have had a bit of a resurgence going from £2995 to £4334 and now at £4226. I don't have any crypto anymore but do keep an eye on it, really don't think bitcoin is dead.

I recently did a course on Cyber Insurance and ransomware, the increase is massive and all ransom is paid in bitcoin. I can see sustained growth for bitcoin at a much slower pace than previously. Depends in whether you'd want to invest in something that is growing due to illegal activity, albeit indirectly. Buying a house means that I've not got the spare cash to have a go myself.

At some stage Ripple will be the major player. XRP works differently to other Crypto coins and once the big finance corporations realise that Ripple is a far better payment system than Swift, being instantaneous transactional payment, XRP value will rise massively

Back