• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why do we see so many references in so many threads calling fellow supporters of Southend United repeat UNITED ( look at and think what that word means) in a derogatory manner DAY TRIPPERS ? Is it some form of fan snobery ? Do those that use the term do so to show that they think they are more loyal and offer greater support than others ? SUrely a supporter once they have made the effort to travel and paid their money whether it be at home or away is a supporter . Does it mean that because I have supported the Club through thick and thin for 30 odd years that I can look down on a new found supporter or for that matter one who has been going for 29 years beacause they havnt done as much service as me ? Grow up , we all want the same thing , dont we ?? Pull together and be UNITED !

It is snobbery. And it appears to be the younger set of fans who have started this sort of abuse, those who have only been watching the Shrimpers for just a few years. It's quite pathetic ...

BTW I'm attending the Southend v Franchise Scum FA Cup game on 4th December when I visit the UK for a long weekend and the first knuckle-dragger to accuse me of being a "day tripper" will find out about day trips to the hospital.

WS

hey Mike, what about Thurrock? Are they Franchise FC?

laugh.gif

can't believe youre coming over when Ive got to behave myself and not allowed to drink!

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (prittlewellshrimper @ Nov. 17 2005,20:44)]Why do we see so many references in so many threads calling fellow supporters of Southend United repeat UNITED ( look at and think what that word means)  in a derogatory manner  DAY TRIPPERS ?   Is it some form of fan snobery ? Do those that use the term do so to show that they think they are more loyal and offer greater support than others ?  SUrely a supporter  once they have made the effort  to travel  and paid their money whether it be at home or away is a supporter .          Does it mean that because I have supported the Club through thick and thin  for 30 odd years that I can look down on a new found supporter or for that matter one who has been going for 29 years beacause they havnt done as much service as me ?           Grow up  ,  we all want the same thing , dont we ??    Pull together and be UNITED !
Its all these little know it all p%&*ks, that have been to all the games for a couple of seasons and think they are f%&king experts!!!

what right have any of them got to question another fan? and to how genuin they are. Im taking my mum to the next home game, shes never been before, but she has always wanted to see a game!!! feel free to come and fined me and question me as to why my 'day tripping' mother is taking up one of YOUR seats !!!!

oooh yes Im looking forward to it already

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave cusaks nose @ Nov. 17 2005,21:58)]Its all these little know it all p%&*ks, that have been to all the games for a couple of seasons and think they are f%&king experts!!!
Kinda what I REALLY wanted to say ...

WS

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Nov. 17 2005,21:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave cusaks nose @ Nov. 17 2005,21:58)]Its all these little know it all p%&*ks, that have been to all the games for a couple of seasons and think they are f%&king experts!!!
Kinda what I REALLY wanted to say ...

WS

laugh.gif
were pals, thats why we know what we are talking about !

cockles

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Nov. 17 2005,20:48)]It is snobbery. And it appears to be the younger set of fans who have started this sort of abuse, those who have only been watching the Shrimpers for just a few years. It's quite pathetic ...
i'm one of the younger fans and know quite a few over younger fans, i have only been watching the shrimpers for 2 years supported them 6 years, i have not once referred to anyone who comes to the hall has a day tripper  
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCHUTTON @ Nov. 17 2005,23:12)]i'm one of the younger fans and know quite a few over younger fans, i have only been watching the shrimpers for 2 years supported them 6 years, i have not once referred to anyone who comes to the hall has a day tripper  
mad.gif
Were you mentioned in the original text?

WS

glare.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Nov. 17 2005,22:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCHUTTON @ Nov. 17 2005,23:12)]i'm one of the younger fans and know quite a few over younger fans, i have only been watching the shrimpers for 2 years supported them 6 years, i have not once referred to anyone who comes to the hall has a day tripper  
mad.gif
Were you mentioned in the original text?

WS

glare.gif
i wasn't no, but you said it appears to be the set of youngers fans

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCHUTTON @ Nov. 17 2005,23:21)]i wasn't no, but you said it appears to be the set of youngers fans
And, by all descriptions given on these means, it is the younger fans who are subjecting visitors to Roots Hall with this sort of abuse ...

WS

i no what you mean, i have read it again and it makes more sense sorry
down.gif

It actually really annoys me, that term. We all support Southend, whether we attend one match or 46 matches. Anyone who comes along with the intention of supporting Southend is welcome in my eyes.

for me its like a 'fashionable word' to use, similar to bouncebackability. someone posessing power and/or fame has used the word, it sticks and suddenly its used all around the school corridors. have to admit ive probably used it before, although only in gest when giving a bit of banter. to be honest the phrase doesnt really bother me. i dont get to watch southend play as much as i would like and could potentially fall under the 'day tripper' category for that reason but if anyone were to meaningfully call me a day tripper id laugh in their face. anyone who tries to offend another is in most cases envious and in any other case, a chav.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Nov. 17 2005,20:48)]It is snobbery. And it appears to be the younger set of fans who have started this sort of abuse, those who have only been watching the Shrimpers for just a few years. It's quite pathetic ...

BTW I'm attending the Southend v Franchise Scum FA Cup game on 4th December when I visit the UK for a long weekend and the first knuckle-dragger to accuse me of being a "day tripper" will find out about day trips to the hospital.

WS
Mike, you aren't a day tripper. You are a fair-weather fan!

i.e. A true and loyal supporter who has fled abroad in search of fair weather. Why, what else would I mean?

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Xabia,

You are clearly not a day tripper, you are over for the weekend, you part-timer.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Nov. 17 2005,20:48)]BTW I'm attending the Southend v Franchise Scum FA Cup game on 4th December when I visit the UK for a long weekend and the first knuckle-dragger to accuse me of being a "day tripper" will find out about day trips to the hospital.
Exactly, you're not a day tripper. You're here all weekend.

tounge.gif

Back