• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

December could be interesting!

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Reading the excellent Q&A transcript I was very interested to see the comments made by Tilly and Brush about the players.

Firstly, there was criticism about Maher and his mouth. Worryingly, reading between the lines, it may appear that he retains the captains armband so that he doesn'y get booked more often! Hmmm, don't like the logic of that, although I can see what they are getting at.

Secondly, the statement that Jay Smith can ONLY play centre midfield and when fit will be the first name on the teamsheet. They are looking at 6-8 weeks before he is back.

Thirdly, the statement that Bentley has been the best player so far this season.

So, in December, when Jay is back, it looks like (other injuries and suspensions permitting) the central midfield will be Smith and Bentley.

Also they acknowledged that they know what Jimmy Corbett can do up front and see him as being either a forward or wide right. He has only been playing central midfield recently in the reserves to get his fitness up and needs to still work on it.

It is encouraging to note that the management team seem to see the same attributes as most of us do in the players. There is competition for places so no player should be able to relax. Just how we want it! As long as they maintain the courage to make changes when it isn't working...

BLUE ARMY!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Sep. 08 2004,14:22)]Secondly, the statement that Jay Smith can ONLY play centre midfield and when fit will be the first name on the teamsheet. They are looking at 6-8 weeks before he is back.

Thirdly, the statement that Bentley has been the best player so far this season.

So, in December, when Jay is back, it looks like (other injuries and suspensions permitting) the central midfield will be Smith and Bentley.
The way I read it, they said that Smith could be the first name on the sheet on his day, and that he'd have to wait for his chance to come if the team is playing well.

If we're on a good run of form when Jay is fit, then he'll have to warm the bench until his chance comes... so the midfield, in December, could still read; Maher / Bentley.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Sep. 08 2004,13:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Sep. 08 2004,14:22)]Secondly, the statement that Jay Smith can ONLY play centre midfield and when fit will be the first name on the teamsheet.  They are looking at 6-8 weeks before he is back.

The way I read it, they said that Smith could be the first name on the sheet on his day, and that he'd have to wait for his chance to come if the team is playing well.

If we're on a good run of form when Jay is fit, then he'll have to warm the bench until his chance comes... so the midfield, in December, could still read; Maher / Bentley.
I guess the point that I was trying to get across (and reading my post I failed admirably) is that with Mahers mouth and almost certain future suspension(s) then come December with Jay fit and Bentley still performing they would be there and it would then be difficult for Maher to get back in the team.

But yes, of course, if Maher isn't suspended and we are on a winning streak (or at least a playing well streak) then Jay will have to keep the bench warm.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Sep. 08 2004,12:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Sep. 08 2004,14:22)]Secondly, the statement that Jay Smith can ONLY play centre midfield and when fit will be the first name on the teamsheet.  They are looking at 6-8 weeks before he is back.

It could also be Hunt / Bentley... assuming Hunt plays a blinder, he could keep Maher out [especially as his chances of playing in the centre of defence are restricted by Eagle, Spinner and Barratt] for the foreseeable future!

I think Jay Smith will be a long time featuring in the first team and let's remember that even when fully fit... he will still be way short of match fitness!

wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Sep. 08 2004,14:47)]
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Sep. 08 2004,14:22)]Secondly, the statement that Jay Smith can ONLY play centre midfield and when fit will be the first name on the teamsheet. They are looking at 6-8 weeks before he is back.

I guess the point that I was trying to get across (and reading my post I failed admirably) is that with Mahers mouth and almost certain future suspension(s) then come December with Jay fit and Bentley still performing they would be there and it would then be difficult for Maher to get back in the team.

But yes, of course, if Maher isn't suspended and we are on a winning streak (or at least a playing well streak) then Jay will have to keep the bench warm.
laugh.gif

Your point is now made clear!

I agree. What worries me is that Smith may not get another contract if he doesn't make the amount of starts stipulated (was it 20 something?). That would be a crying shame.

Obviously, if he makes less starts, but plays blinders... I'd assume common sense would prevail.

rock.gif

[b said:
[b said:

Thats the exact way it was ment

OS, it's 25 games for Jay and then the contract is AUTOMATIC. However, it doesn't stop them offering him a new one if he only plays 10... it's just not under the terms previously agreed.

By December we'll be so far up the league some of you on here will be begging to lick the sweat from Maher's arse-crack (which isn't half as bad as people might think!
tounge.gif
)

Or put another way how about a 3 man central midfield with a 4-3-3, 4-5-1 variation depending on whether we are home or away.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 08 2004,17:23)]Or put another way how about a 3 man central midfield with a 4-3-3, 4-5-1 variation depending on whether we are home or away.
Tilly and Brush discussed different formations, but because they have played 4-4-2 all their lives are sticking with that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 08 2004,19:23)]Or put another way how about a 3 man central midfield with a 4-3-3, 4-5-1 variation depending on whether we are home or away.
Going by the Q&A transcript, I'd say there's more chance of Jeff King giving all his money away to charity, slimming down to a 30 inch waist by Xmas and Canvey being awarded a European award for culture... than Tilly and Brush changing formation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Sep. 08 2004,18:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 08 2004,17:23)]Or put another way how about a 3 man central midfield with a 4-3-3, 4-5-1 variation depending on whether we are home or away.
Tilly and Brush discussed different formations, but because they have played 4-4-2 all their lives are sticking with that.
Richard Cadette promised me he wouldn't go - not long after he left.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 08 2004,19:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Sep. 08 2004,18:27)]
[b said:
Richard Cadette promised me he wouldn't go - not long after he left.
That's probably due to the fact that you offered to show your appreciation in a sexual manner!

You also did this to Cort, Connie and Rawle.

Hhhhhmmmm, I'm seeing a pattern here!

ghostface.gif

I think that the good thing about Jay is that he defers focus from Gower. They're similar types of players in a way and when Smith is in the team my theory is that Gower can sneak around a bit more and use his talent a bit more freely.

Back