• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dicontent at the hall

Thenewblue

Manager
With every passing week, there seems to be growing a certain discontent with the way stewards are imposing themselves at our ground and making an unlpleasant matchday experience for some poor person with almost weekly examples. Perhaps with this sites support we could get some sort of letter or petition started to do something about an issue that seems to be growing week by week? I've never had an experience myself but its becoming more regular on here with heavy handed tactics and inconsisitent applications of rules being applied. If possible with this site we could make some people high up aware of the growing unhappiness of the stewards in place at roots hall? Or would it be going up a blind alley?

What about the announcements about seat checks?

And not standing in the aisles/at the back?

They were mob handed today

I've seen people smoking, heard examples today of racism and what was acted upon? A southend fan being ejected and banned for standing and another fan being accused of lying and somehow gaining false entry? Their priorites and inconsistent approach is what annoys me the most. If we throw 1 fan out for standing what about the 1700 Sheff Wed fans? Or is it easier to just throw out 1 fan, thats not a fair application is it?!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thenewblue @ Sep. 09 2006,22:39)]I've seen people smoking, heard examples today of racism and what was acted upon? A southend fan being ejected and banned for standing and another fan being accused of lying and somehow gaining false entry? Their priorites and inconsistent approach is what annoys me the most. If we throw 1 fan out for standing what about the 1700 Sheff Wed fans? Or is it easier to just throw out 1 fan, thats not a fair application is it?!
I remember a time I sat in the south lower a good few years back

Some rentamob in black bomber jackets were doing the security/stewarding

They objected to some old bloke complaining that they were blocking his view, so all these large security blokes waded into the crowd to drag him out, nearly starting a riot. Total overkill

I think they were got rid of shortly after that

Surely its not that bad nowadays?

They had Health and Safety people there today, which is why they had the announcements about seat checks and not allowing standing at the back.

Well theres almost a weekly complaint or occurance reported on this site? Like I said never come across it myself, but maybe best to nip this in the bud now? It sounds like we got some jobsworths within these stewards that needs addressing because it is ruining some peoples matchdays. Some of which may never return to the hall because of their experience and a club our size cannot afford to lose fans or have legal action taken out against them. So I think maybe better to address it now rather than sit on our hands.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southendsleeper @ Sep. 09 2006,23:42)]I remember a time I sat in the south lower a good few years back. Some rentamob in black bomber jackets were doing the security/stewarding. They objected to some old bloke complaining that they were blocking his view, so all these large security blokes waded into the crowd to drag him out, nearly starting a riot. Total overkill I think they were got rid of shortly after that
April 1999 - Southend United “booted out” their security firm after fans claimed they had been set upon by members of First Class Security during the home game against Scunthorpe United. The firm, overseeing only its second game at Roots Hall, counter-claimed that its guards had been attacked by fans. Supporters in the South Stand said that they had been manhandled out of their seats by guards when they asked them to stop blocking their view. The club requested that the last three home games of the season would be patrolled by Southend Police.

You created this site Mike, think it could get some voices and concerns over stewarding heard?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Sep. 09 2006,22:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southendsleeper @ Sep. 09 2006,23:42)]I remember a time I sat in the south lower a good few years back. Some rentamob in black bomber jackets were doing the security/stewarding. They objected to some old bloke complaining that they were blocking his view, so all these large security blokes waded into the crowd to drag him out, nearly starting a riot. Total overkill I think they were got rid of shortly after that
April 1999 - Southend United “booted out” their security firm after fans claimed they had been set upon by members of First Class Security during the home game against Scunthorpe United. The firm, overseeing only its second game at Roots Hall, counter-claimed that its guards had been attacked by fans. Supporters in the South Stand said that they had been manhandled out of their seats by guards when they asked them to stop blocking their view. The club requested that the last three home games of the season would be patrolled by Southend Police.
That'd be it

I remember it quite clearly

I cant remember much about the match itself, but that stayed with me

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thenewblue @ Sep. 09 2006,23:56)]You created this site Mike, think it could get some voices and concerns over stewarding heard?
We used to have the occasional meeting with Geoffrey King to discuss various aspects but we had to be actively controversial with our articles to get an audience. Maybe if the current SZ gang gathered together evidence from fans and produced an article for the site about the claimed discontent with regards to stewarding, it might get noticed by the club?

Well, for starters I think one should speak to those who feel that the safety stewards have not been acting responsibly or in the interests of saferty on matchday. I think Technician is a steward at Roots Hall; maybe he can get a contact?

I personally have no issue myself, but am reading weekly instances of people not being happy with the way the stewards are handling situations. So perhaps i'm not the the right person to take issue with the club.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thenewblue @ Sep. 09 2006,23:16)]I'm also not very articulate or good at getting across points!
Does anyone know of a SZ member who is employed in the legal profession who might be able to formulate a response ?

I think the stewarding/security at Roots Hall is in a poorly supervised mess. Last season the head of the security firm was arrested by police for being heavy handed, and after the game yesterday two members of security decided to have a fight with each other on the pitch at the North East corner. This post match 'entertainment' which included the customary language of c%nt and w&nker was witnessed by a number of people including some of the players wives and family.

This incident went on for a good 15 minutes and there seemed to be no one around either capable or willing to deal with it. In fact the two idiots involved were still trying to get at each other about an hour later by the East green/black entrance.

I thought it all looked pretty pathetic and child like myself, two blokes acting like a couple of p!ssed teenagers with a distorted view of their own ego. Although it did leave me thinking about the apparent lack of discipline or control exercised by or towards these individuals who after all are actually being paid to PREVENT this type of behaviour!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ Sep. 10 2006,00:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thenewblue @ Sep. 09 2006,23:16)]I'm also not very articulate or good at getting across points!
Does anyone know of a SZ member who is employed in the legal profession who might be able to formulate a response ?
no but i camn bring the boys round ken..
wink.gif

I'm sure there have been other topic's regarding the heavy handed approach of stewards at roots hall over the past year or so. I feel certain both myself and Wardy have started topic's on this subject.

Could someone not put all of these together in a separate section and then we can add to it when needed and build a pretty big portfolio to put to the club when something finally happens??

Slightly off topic but still concerning the people employed by SUFC on match days.

Yesterday I was sitting on the railings at the top of the concrete steps above the Shrimpers Bar entrance reading the match day programme. I was about 5 feet away from the two young lads selling the programmes. Now this was about 2.15pm so there was quite a few people milling about with a steady stream coming down the car park. I started listening to these two young lads, not being nosey you understand but because they were both talking rather loudly.

This is the upshot of what I heard.
1. I suspect neither of them had tickets for the game as they were discussing where they should try and get in. (do programmes sellers get complementary tickets?)
2. Neither of them had a clue as to what section of the ground either the steps leading down to The Shrimpers Bar led to or the turn styles that were just behind them.
3. The language coming out of their mouths was appalling. F'ing this, f*ck that...all within earshot of the punters walking by and this wasn't just a one off, this was constant whilst I was sitting there.
4. Overheard one of the lads saying "I'm not going to shout out 'match day programmes' and make myself look a c**t". This was as a young woman and her kid walked past towards the steps. The look of disgust on her face was understandable.

It was clear to me that neither of these lads was a supporter of the Blues but more than likely just there for the tenner or so they get paid.

If anyone from the club happen to read this they need to rethink who they employ to sell their programmes. I'm not implying all programme sellers are foul mouthed little oiks but it sure as hell makes more sense to have people selling those programmes that actually support the club and take an interest in what they are being paid to do.

No way MC BLUES did that really happen?

My view myself is that these security blokes are bullys,ive never had any problems myself,but have seen it with my own eyes,they pick there victims just as bullys do.....it seems to me that will pin-point the easyiest targets i.e people with no threat to them........there really is no need for it,the only reason i think there security is that they have no brains for any other job.

GET A PROPER JOB
mad.gif

Back