• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dicontent at the hall

D62SUBOY: that is disgraceful and I think you do need to drop a line to the club on this one; they're going to have a busy Inbox this weekend! I remember when I first started to attend football in the mid-70s, it always used to be old boys with half-smoked rollies, shouting "Prograaaaaaammes" every few seconds. Always cheery, with a little friendly wink to the kids (which he wouldn't have got away with now!) and the odd good-natured grumble when someone handed over a fiver for a 25p programme. How times have changed?

Mike, I have penned an email to the club outlining the observations I made on Saturday.

I don't however expect a reply until at least February
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (D62SUBOY @ Sep. 10 2006,10:49)]Mike, I have penned an email to the club outlining the observations I made on Saturday.

I don't however expect a reply until at least February
sad.gif
Phil , I think a phone call to GK would be better , at least you know that someone has actually heard your complaint.

SZ.com limited are still waiting for a reply to a business question that was e-mailed months ago , a proposition that,long-term, may have made the club money.A proposition that will not now proceed.

... which, despite all the PR efforts of the club, appears to suggest that the board of directors still have complete disregard to the general fan. It's true that the current era of success means that they're not exactly worrying about a number of ignored requests, but if (when?) the bubble does burst and crowds dwindle, will such ignorance still work?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Sep. 10 2006,12:02)]... which, despite all the PR efforts of the club, appears to suggest that the board of directors still have complete disregard to the general fan. It's true that the current era of success means that they're not exactly worrying about a number of ignored requests, but if (when?) the bubble does burst and crowds dwindle, will such ignorance still work?
Mike , I am sure my suggestion of a phone call to the almost-top man must be better than any letter/e-mail complaining about something. If I worked in an office and a letter of complaint came in would I really want my boss to see it ? It might accidentally "get lost" in the system.

Well firstly having helped out the club by stewarding in the latter part of last season i would like to make a few observations from the other side.

1) Stewards do not get paid to break up trouble or wade into people that is the security mens job. They are there to help with seating and generally be polite.

2) I consider myself to be one of the more politer stewards last year , but even i suffered unwarranted abuse including lots of verbal and throwing of food etc.

3) Given the above it does tend to dampen your enthusiasm and helpfulness.

4) Only section heads on stewarding have Radios normal yellow jackets as a general rule do not.

5) The security team are a joke and are bully boys who are looking for a fight. They even had a fight with the police last year and needs to be looked at by the club.

6) Last year i was skint so i thought i would help the club and myself by being a steward , in all honesty its not as easy as it looks and having done the job its not worth the 20 quid that you get.

7) I am now back in the east with a seaso and i stand at every match no problems at all.

Hope that sheds some light.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Sep. 09 2006,23:13)]I think Technician is a steward at Roots Hall; maybe he can get a contact?
Mike.

I have worked with the club's "own" security team for 8 years. It is now headed up by Peter Lee who took charge in December last year. My role keeps changing as I am one of the better match day employees, so there won't be too much I don't know...
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

Sorry...
down.gif
I tend to get carried away with my status!
biggrin.gif

The stewards (as many SZ members imply) aren't jobsworths and I know a fair few of them, so I can vouch for them. They are loyal to the club and do as they are told, but I have to admit that some of the instructions they have to follow are ridiculous and it does put them in a far worse light than they ought to be.

The Matrix guys are the ones receiving the most complaints and it was one of theirs, who had an altercation with a member of the stewarding team on Saturday. Chris Baker gives them their brief and anyone who has any complaints, should contact him direct. On matchdays, he can be found in either the security office or the police box in the south-west corner. He is at the club most days and is very approachable.

If I can provide any more feedback on specific procedures or protocols, etc. I will happily do so... just leave a reply on here or if I am not about, I will be on SOL for sure. Just send a PM on either site and I will get back to you.
blues.gif

Stewards and Security Staff may well be "jobsworths" or "heavy handed" but the fact remains if all fans treated their fellow fans with a bit of respect and conducted themselves better there would be no issues (1999 situation excepted)

For every person who has their "matchday experience" ruined by over zealous staff, I'm sure there are about 5 who have it ruined by inconsiderate fellow fans, smoking, swearing, or standing up in front of them every time the ball goes within 45 yards of either goal.

Back