• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The club have two options. put good cctv in w block so they can identify the culprit or disband The Blue Voice.

The lack of any condemnation from the Voice is very telling and probably not lost on the club.

I for one would like my club to remain as a friendly club with a good reputation-not one that encourages wannabe hooligans.

A shame cos the atmosphere generated from that part of the ground was excellent on Saturday but with their finest moment came their darkest hour.

The club have two options. put good cctv in w block so they can identify the culprit or disband The Blue Voice.

The lack of any condemnation from the Voice is very telling and probably not lost on the club.

I for one would like my club to remain as a friendly club with a good reputation-not one that encourages wannabe hooligans.

A shame cos the atmosphere generated from that part of the ground was excellent on Saturday but with their finest moment came their darkest hour.

How can you disband something that is not an exclusive entity that has no membership in any way and never will have?

Are these smoke bombs easy to buy then ? I wouldn't know where to start. I also cant think of any legitimate use for them. Why are they legally sold ? Bobby Dazzler mentioned earlier that he "heard a couple of young lads walking out the ground talking about where they bought it". Can he name and shame the source of this smoke bomb so that the authorities can stop the irresponsible selling of them in the first place ?

They are used for things like airsoft or paintballing

All the club have to do is stop you all sitting together and standing up. If the club want to turn on you they will.

The "silence" was broken by fans outside the ground who would have had no knowledge of what was going on inside.

Indeed.

There was no reason for anyone to shout out even if they were defending the silence. By shouting out they were as bad as the Luton fans, who if fact didnt even know the silence was on.

After the commotion we all could have started shouting at the instigators, but that just adds to it. Whoever shouted out may have thought they were doing the right thing, but they just added to it. Anyone who responded in any way for any reason let themselves and the club down.

I understand what you are saying , but I would like to add some context as a regular of W block.

There are loads of people on this thread stating that they are disgusted. I stand in W and I am one of these people . How do you know what everyone in W thinks about it, there are others in W on this thread who were disgusted , the 'shhhhhhhhhhh' from the majority (which I assume you could not hear ) speaks for the majority of people in W. In fact I will go further than that , because of the clubs ridiculous ticket policy for Saturday W block had loads of people who are not normally there (and conversely loads who are normally there were not there) . It was also overcrowded so by definition had more people there who are not normally there.

Don't blame an entire block - blame the idiot that shouted out followed by the many idiots that then felt the need to join in , but don't for one moment think that we all feel the same way. There will be people reading this thread who shouted out, and it would be nice if they apologized, but it will be even better if they acknowledge to themselves that they are wrong and in future try and do the right thing.

As for the smoke bomb I just hope the person who let that off is identified and banned from Roots Hall. Sooner or later someoneemeone is going to get seriously hurt or worse with this worrying trend of bringing in smoke bombs and flares into football grounds

I expect they probably will be identified, there is pretty good CCTV in the W Block area and, I believe, an individual held one aloft for some time.

With regards to the penalties and potential consequences for possessing one, bringing one into a ground and setting it off are as follows, you may have read this before, I posted it in a thread back on 26th January this year:-

Interesting to read about the pyros and various opinions on it, however, and I don't want to ****on anyone's parade, they are illegal.

As a member of the Football Supporters' Federation (FSF), membership is free to all by the way, I have copied this from a piece on the FSF website posted by Alison Gurden, a lawyer who works on behalf of fans and for the FSF in this arena.

Please, please, please, take note of the potential penalties involved in using or even possessing pyros in, or even on the way to a football match.

There is no doubt about it, the use of pyro to some fans is exciting. Photos of smoke bombs and flares being used at European matches give the impression of a colourful and high adrenaline crowd of fans.

Whether or not the use of smoke grenades (or plumber’s smoke tabs), flares and fireworks gives the game a better atmosphere, they are banned from English football, and without a doubt the courts do not see that same colourful, high adrenaline atmosphere.
The starting point for a court considering the sentence for someone who has attempted to enter a stadium with pyro is three months in prison. In many cases it is very difficult to persuade the courts to come down from this three month figure.

Add onto this the fact that it is highly likely that a court will impose a football banning order for at least three years (as this is the minimum that a court can impose) and may go as high as 10 years, and a fan’s days of watching football anywhere but in their living room for at least the next three years are over.

The prison record doesn’t look good to any employer, and any chance of coaching or refereeing even a local kids league is given the red card. The offence of possession of the smoke grenade and the prison sentence and the football banning order will all appear on a Criminal Records Bureau (now Banning and Disbarring Service) check.

Look again at the wording in italics above, a fan doesn’t have to let off a flare in the stadium to fall foul of the law, mere possession on entry is sufficient. The law doesn’t distinguish between smoke grenades, flares and fireworks, they are all treated with the same severity. Nor does it distinguish between possession and letting off the pyro.

The situation for under 18s is even worse. Possession of a smoke grenade or flare in any public place is a criminal offence. Hence a fan who is under the age of 18 and who has a smoke bomb in their pocket as they walk through town or on the train on the way to a match is committing an offence.

This places some youths in a very difficult position. Imagine the scenario, on the coach on the way to the match, the youth succumbs to peer pressure from a fellow fan to take a smoke grenade “come on, it will be fun, look you take the blue and I will take the red, it's only three quid”.

The youth then exits the coach and decides that the smoke grenade is not a good idea and approaches a steward or police officer to ask how to dispose of the smoke bomb. At that stage they are admitting to committing an offence, they are in a public place and have a smoke grenade in their possession!

A 15-year-old with no previous convictions, who has never been in trouble with the police before, suddenly finds themselves arrested, in a police cell and facing a criminal record. Even a fixed penalty notice or reprimand given in the police station will appear on their CRB check. With competition for university and jobs so competitive for youths, a CRB will probably means that this youth goes to the back of the queue.
Oh, and they will no doubt be banned from attending football matches, even if they do not end up with a football banning order issued by the courts as the matter was dealt with in the police station, the police share their arrest information with the football club so the club will issue their own ban.
As a lawyer representing football fans, I have concerns about all fans being arrested for pyro possession and use but in particular the criminalisation of youths. Whether or not I agree with the law as it stands, until Parliament changes it, possession of pyro remains an offence.

See more at: http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/no-p....gbi9mBDf.dpuf

As I have said, I have no wish to spoil anyone's fun but please be aware of the possible consequences, if any of you thought that any potential crowd crushing issues had been addressed, post-Hillsborough, simply by the Taylor Report then please read the report below of an incident at White Hart Lane just before Christmas. Ironically, caused by a pyro release.

Problems of crowd congestion which involved some fans being crushed and hundreds missing the start of the game arose outside the away end at White Hart Lane before the League Cup quarter-final between Spurs and Newcastle United on 17th December 2014.
Scores of fans subsequently wrote to both clubs, to supporters’ organisations, to members of parliament and of course to the FSF to voice their distress, concerns and dissatisfaction at how both stewards and the police had responded to the situation.
Problems initially arose after a Newcastle “fan” – who was subsequently arrested – let off a pyrotechnic device on the concourse of the upper tier of the South Stand, activating the smoke alarms and triggering the automatic locking of the away turnstiles at a crucial time as Newcastle fans arrived for the game.
The subsequent management of the queues outside led to fans being crushed against a stadium wall, with a number in distress and in fear of injury.
Fortunately, no serious injuries were reported, but the poor organisational response by stewards and the perceived indifference of the police prompted not only angry scenes on the night, but a flurry of written complaints lodged with Tottenham Hotspur FC, with Newcastle United FC, with Tyneside MPs (such as Gateshead MP Ian Mearns who witnessed events), and with the FSF.
- See more at: http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/vi....MJyz5lqX.dpuf

Someone has said that no one from TBV has condemned their use on Saturday, well the TBV has no formal organisation so no one 'member' can speak for any of the others. However, I regard myself as a member and I will quite happily condemn their use on Saturday as, in a packed ground, if people were likely to be affected then Saturday would be the day.
Incidentally, on Saturday, just the fact of them coming from W Block could hardly be construed as concrete evidence that the perpetrator was from TBV, as we had long discussion on another thread that the Club had sold the tickets for W Block long after most 'normal' W Block residents had purchased their tickets elsewhere expecting the normal rules to apply.

I make no apology for re-posting my earlier post above, it obviously has not sunk in to the individual/s concerned that they are not looking at a slap on the wrist for such transgressions; THE PENALTY FOR TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW STARTS AT THREE MONTHS IMPRISONMENT.

Can he name and shame the source of this smoke bomb so that the authorities can stop the irresponsible selling of them in the first place ?
So you want to potentially damage the reputation of a legitimate business because they sold something that isn't permitted at a football match but can be used in many, many other scenarios?

This is one of the most bizarre things I have ever read on this site!

People need to get a sense of perspective and a reality check here.

Setting a smoke bomb off during the match in which the victims of the Bradford fire disaster was remembered was just embarrassing.

As were the idiots (from both clubs) shouting obscenities at each other during the minute silence because the other was being disrespectful.

Back