• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

do people really think was tillys fault?

I know what you are saying, but as much as you and others think Walker is rubbish, he is quick and pulls defenders out of position whether he has the ball or not. This then creates space for Barney, Grant, whoever to fill the gap left by the defender following Walker.

Half the game of football is creating space. If a player makes a run into the channel, whether he receives the ball or not, a defender has to follow him. This will always create a hole for someone to run into.

We were better with Walker and Scannell on the pitch, and for that reason we should have started off that way, no matter how bad you think Walker is, off the ball running and movement is crucial and with a quick player running into space, no matter how good/bad he is, whether he gets the ball or not, he has created space by dragging the defender with him.

I get so frustrated when people constantly slag players off. All they want from a striker is to score goals, but that's not what it's all about. Admittedly, it's what wins you games, that and good defending, but you have 2 strikers in a team, one will invariably score a lot more than the other, one is the scorer, one is the diverter, it's how strikers play.

If its not about goals, then why was Revell sent to Swindon. I'd back him to score more goals than either Freedman or Walker and he chases down defenders.

davewebbsbrain or Swiss Tony?

HarryHill_fight.jpg

Agreed and I am fed up with others not allowing opinion on this site without using offensive language.

Disagree yes.... insult other peoples opinion no... imo (if its allowed)

Your opinion is definitely allowed and FWIW you are right, and I'd ask everyone to calm down a little and be a bit more considered in your posts.

Ta muchly.

I get so frustrated when people constantly slag players off. All they want from a striker is to score goals, but that's not what it's all about. Admittedly, it's what wins you games, that and good defending, but you have 2 strikers in a team, one will invariably score a lot more than the other, one is the scorer, one is the diverter, it's how strikers play.

But if that is the style we are trying to play, then why not recall Revs? He was/is the best 'second striker' at the moment. Unfortunately i feel that ship has sailed due to the verbally challenged GK and the lying weasle Dr.Warchest.

I totally understand what you're saying, and do tend to agree, but you have to look into the future. Just say Barny goes in Jan, no amount of clever runs/ dragging defenders away from play etc will save us from relegation. We need someone to put the ball in the net, and the only player who looks capable of that is Laurent and he can't do thast if he's on the wing. In that respect, Walker and Freedman might aswell play blindfolded, as it'll be better than what they've acheived so far.

But if that is the style we are trying to play, then why not recall Revs? He was/is the best 'second striker' at the moment. Unfortunately i feel that ship has sailed due to the verbally challenged GK and the lying weasle Dr.Warchest.

I totally understand what you're saying, and do tend to agree, but you have to look into the future. Just say Barny goes in Jan, no amount of clever runs/ dragging defenders away from play etc will save us from relegation. We need someone to put the ball in the net, and the only player who looks capable of that is Laurent and he can't do thast if he's on the wing. In that respect, Walker and Freedman might aswell play blindfolded, as it'll be better than what they've acheived so far.

Revs WILL be back in Jan

Will it be the same player though? Would you put 100% effort in, if you had been publiclly abused by your employers?

King is a knob and has no place to criticize like he did. He has made himself look very stupid and I think he will regret what he said. Revs is a 100% man and will play for his team mates, not King.

No not Tillys fault,his hands are tied,blame the permed one.

What a load of crap. Tilly chose to play Laurent up front rather than on the wing. His hands weren't tied there. Bad tactical mistake by Tilly cost us yesterday. As soon as Laurent moved onto the wing and Grany moved into the middle, we looked a much better team.

I would have started the game with either Walker or Scannell up front, Grant in the middle and Laurent on the wing.

Macca is a poor mans Grant in the middle at the moment. Grant gets played out of position constantly and gets criticized for his game but put him in the middle and it all comes good.

Calm down pal,and stop talking bollox.

Your opinion is definitely allowed and FWIW you are right, and I'd ask everyone to calm down a little and be a bit more considered in your posts.

Ta muchly.

Agreed,but do tell people,that crap is not the right response,to a perfectly reasonable opinion.

I see no reasoned argument from yourself Tony.'No not Tillys fault,his hands are tied,blame the permed one' is not a reasoned argument. I put a reasoned argument forward which you said was a load of bollox....well reasoned there then!

I feel sorry for Tilly, he is limited on the choices he can make. I can understand why he put Laurant up front, when we're looking for goals I wouldn't trust Dougie or Walker to find the back of the net, but we all know Laurant is best on the wing. It was a hard choice to make maybe it was the wrong one but with the options available it may have been the choice I would have made.

In the end though when the results are not coming our way people are going to look to the manager and say "what's going on?" Maybe it's not fair and maybe I don't agree with it but I wholeheartly understand why.

I feel sorry for Tilly, he is limited on the choices he can make. I can understand why he put Laurant up front, when we're looking for goals I wouldn't trust Dougie or Walker to find the back of the net, but we all know Laurant is best on the wing. It was a hard choice to make maybe it was the wrong one but with the options available it may have been the choice I would have made.

In the end though when the results are not coming our way people are going to look to the manager and say "what's going on?" Maybe it's not fair and maybe I don't agree with it but I wholeheartly understand why.

The whole point is that Laurent creates chances, Barney scores goals. Have a second striker up front, be it Walker, Scannell or Dougie, who may not score goals but acts as a foil for Barney. All about the movement etc, and without the threat of Laurent on the wing, the game was conceded.

I see no reasoned argument from yourself Tony.'No not Tillys fault,his hands are tied,blame the permed one' is not a reasoned argument. I put a reasoned argument forward which you said was a load of bollox....well reasoned there then!

My original post was was just an opinion,nothing more,nothing less,you came on with the aggression,why i don't know,a simple,i don't agree was enough surely,as opposed to crap,so don't get off your high horse when i came back with the same aggression.

The whole point is that Laurent creates chances, Barney scores goals. Have a second striker up front, be it Walker, Scannell or Dougie, who may not score goals but acts as a foil for Barney. All about the movement etc, and without the threat of Laurent on the wing, the game was conceded.

I thought that would have been a much better option. OH, and a better keeper -- even an injured Mildew.

IMHO whoever plays up front with Barney has a huge task, Our midfield play too far behind the front two, leaving Barney (and a n other) isolated. It would need another gifted goalscorer (which we don't have)alongside Barney for us to be effective.

Last season we had goals from midfield to add to our strikers count. Where are contributions from Macca, Barrett etc this season ? Stats speak for themselves take
Barneys goals away from our tally, and I think the rest have got nine (I stand to be corrected on this)

What a load of crap. Tilly chose to play Laurent up front rather than on the wing. His hands weren't tied there. Bad tactical mistake by Tilly cost us yesterday. As soon as Laurent moved onto the wing and Grany moved into the middle, we looked a much better team.

I would have started the game with either Walker or Scannell up front, Grant in the middle and Laurent on the wing.

Macca is a poor mans Grant in the middle at the moment. Grant gets played out of position constantly and gets criticized for his game but put him in the middle and it all comes good.

Grant is utterly awful.

My original post was was just an opinion,nothing more,nothing less,you came on with the aggression,why i don't know,a simple,i don't agree was enough surely,as opposed to crap,so don't get off your high horse when i came back with the same aggression.

Wasn't aggressive Tony. I just used the word Crap. Not meant to be aggressive, If you took it that way I'm sorry. I have given a lot of reasoned argument today, with good backing. I still don't think Tilly's hands are tied. If they were, he wouldn't have been able to bring someone on and put Laurent out wide. It was bad tactics by Tilly and Brush from the start that cost us the game. That and Joyce not really being a goalkeeper. Woeful wall for the second goal

Grant is utterly awful.

Where is your evidence.

When he was put in the middle of the park yesterday, he came alive and was everywhere, making the midfield look solid again. The trouble is he is being judged week in week out by us fans when playing in a whole host of different positions that aren't his position. We need to build the team around A good centre back, Grant in the middle, Laurent out wide and a good striker up front, be it Barney or someone new come Jan if Barney goes.

Any blame attributed to Tilson is short sighted IMO. What other choice did he have with Laurent? Walker gets poopy pants in front of goal, as proved with the one on one yesterday, and Freedman is lame.

Did anyone else notice that Ronnie Martini did the off before the final whistle yesterday. He's staked the clubs stability on a ****ing pipe dream and is reaping the rewards. The quicker people get used to the idea of a relegation battle the better. Feel sorry for Tilson, he deserves better.

Yesterday was a perfect opportunity to play Walker and give him a(nother) chance.

As I've put on here before, play your most creative players in their best positions- Laurent on the right wing. Basic decision that Tilson got wrong.

Yesterday was a perfect opportunity to play Walker and give him a(nother) chance.

As I've put on here before, play your most creative players in their best positions- Laurent on the right wing. Basic decision that Tilson got wrong.

Walker came on and although didn't score etc, he ran the channels and created space for Barney. He needs to be left in the team for a 10-12 game run, get a bit of a thing going with Barney and see how it pans out. Laurent needs to stay wide at all costs. No Laurent wide, no outlet whatsoever.

Back