• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do we want this woman back?

Do we want her back?

• Total voters

steveo

mine to stay the same please
A pregnant Briton jailed for life in Laos for heroin smuggling has arrived back in the UK.
Samantha Orobator, 20, from Peckham, south London, was caught with 1.5lb (680g) of the drug at Wattay airport in the capital, Vientiane, last August.
She escaped the death penalty because she became pregnant in jail and will now complete her sentence in the UK.

Foreign Office Minister Chris Bryant said: "We do not condone any crimes involving illegal drugs. We work around the world to combat the use of illegal drugs."However he added the transfer was "excellent news"

Excellent news for who? Certainly not the British Tax payer

don't know whats worth, being a child of two convicts or a child of a convict and a prison officer

Wow, irrelevance I'm used to from you, compassion I'm not!

Nail on the head from Cyril.

Unfair Gremlin, I’m quite capable of compassion in the right places. This woman is a drug smuggler. If she had successfully smuggled her drugs without being caught she would have stood to make a few quid and she wouldn’t have got pregnant. How much compassion do you think she has for her child?

Its not the kids fault, let it come back and be adopted or sold to an ageing rock star, but this woman should stay where she is and face the consequences.

Scum of the highest order.

It seems ok to save her life despite the fact she was peddling a potentially lethal sustnace.

Once caught they should have put her to death and it would have stopped all this sillyness. She has done the crime and therefore should face the sentance in my book which is death. Totally got knocked up by a guard to save her skin. Not the kids faults and wouldnt wish it any harm.

What sort of message is this sending out. Let her rot in a god forsakes jail for all I care. The kid is innocent and hopefully will get taken into care once born and given a decent chance in life as they have not got that with scum like this as a mum.

Unfair Gremlin, I’m quite capable of compassion in the right places. This woman is a drug smuggler. If she had successfully smuggled her drugs without being caught she would have stood to make a few quid and she wouldn’t have got pregnant. How much compassion do you think she has for her child?

Its not the kids fault, let it come back and be adopted or sold to an ageing rock star, but this woman should stay where she is and face the consequences.

Scum of the highest order.

It seems ok to save her life despite the fact she was peddling a potentially lethal sustnace.

Once caught they should have put her to death and it would have stopped all this sillyness. She has done the crime and therefore should face the sentance in my book which is death. Totally got knocked up by a guard to save her skin. Not the kids faults and wouldnt wish it any harm.

What sort of message is this sending out. Let her rot in a god forsakes jail for all I care. The kid is innocent and hopefully will get taken into care once born and given a decent chance in life as they have not got that with scum like this as a mum.

IF she's guilty. Having heard the review of her trial it seems that justice may not have been served in this instance. No access to a lawyer in private, the investigation was carried out by the judge, and the prosecution lawyer, the defence weren't given access to this.

To be clear, I'm not for a second saying she's innocent, i'm just saying we don't actually know for sure given the way the trial was conducted.

Samantha Orobator, nice British name that. A total waste of taxpayer money to rescue a foreign criminal who thinks nothing of getting herself knocked up for her own ends. I wouldn't have cared if they fried her, pregnant or not.

This is an absolute disgrace. Why get her back??? It will cost the taxpayer £36,000 at least per year to keep her in prison add that too the medical care for the baby (not its fault I know). Price of a bullet? 50p, price of a length of rope £5, price of hanging or shooting the bitch - priceless!!

Some very harsh words here, but what I always struggle with in any kind of case like this is what if she was your daughter or sister? Would you be quite as vociferous if she was?

As is the case in a lot of these "mule" jobs, silly, impressionable girls get gulled into being drug smugglers with the promise of easy money. You have to wonder at just how people can be quite so gullible (she says :whistling:).

I don't deny she's acted in a very calculating manner since, but hey, wouldn't you in the same circumstances? You grasp at an escape route if it's presented, however unpleasant.

I am a firm believer in the laws of the land being upheld but there is a compassionate side to me that says if Ronnie Biggs can be released on compassionate grounds then can we not find a little bit of compassion for this young woman too? And to be honest, I'd far rather have her in our prisons than all those clogging them up who should have been sent home to their countries!

Sorry, bit of Devil's Advocate really.

This is an absolute disgrace. Why get her back??? It will cost the taxpayer £36,000 at least per year to keep her in prison add that too the medical care for the baby (not its fault I know). Price of a bullet? 50p, price of a length of rope £5, price of hanging or shooting the bitch - priceless!!

loving this post

There's plenty of good reasons to not want her back, but that simply isn't one of them.

£36,000 divided by the 30,000,000 taxpayers in this country means we all spend 0.12p per year.

At the end of the day, if the crime had been committed in a European country (where the legal system is fair and the prisons are reasonable), I would have had no problem with her serving her sentence in that country.

However, the Laos legal system is hardly known for its fairness and the conditions in their prisons are simply shocking. In my opinion, it is only right that we should protect British citizens (however tenuous the link).

There's plenty of good reasons to not want her back, but that simply isn't one of them.

£36,000 divided by the 30,000,000 taxpayers in this country means we all spend 0.12p per year.

Given the choice Id rather be allowed to keep the 12p to spend on penny sweets then to pay to keep a (remorseless) criminal in a prison more to her liking.

Some very harsh words here, but what I always struggle with in any kind of case like this is what if she was your daughter or sister? Would you be quite as vociferous if she was?

My sister wouldn't smuggle drugs in the first place.

That is all.

(To be fair, you've got a point- I still say hang the bitch though)

My sister wouldn't smuggle drugs in the first place.

That is all.

(To be fair, you've got a point- I still say hang the bitch though)

You hope she wouldn't, but young women can be very easily influenced - I know, I've been one! Not that I would ever have done anything this stupid of course I hasten to add!

Back