• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Do you support Stan with a role at the club?

Do you support Stan with a role at the club?

• Yes

Votes: 390 86.7%
  • No

Votes: 17 3.8%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 40 8.9%
  • Bart

Votes: 3 0.7%

• Total voters
A 100% yes from me.

We have to make major changes to the structure of the footballing side of the club. Tom's got to get a budget from Ron and then plan how best to spend that. It will cost to make the changes necessary and the new manager might have to make do with what he has or at least get players out before they can bring anyone in - which is likely to be difficult.

There have been signs from individual players that they can play at this level, but not all in the same game and certainly not as a team.

Dear Stan, Please don't do it. Purely for for your own benefit don't do it.

The saddest thing in the last decade was see Chris Powell hiding in his dugout a beaten man. A club legend abused and back stabbed by the same people who are cheering you now. You might want to read some comments about CP before you open your heart to all on here.

Your ideas about structure would have had the time and money to work when we finished 7th in L1 but now we don't have the time or the money...I'm sure Tom will be recalculating budget this week as there will be far less than predicted just 6 weeks ago.

So where would that leave you Stan? Half the fans see you as someone to take on Ron. Comments like we need a CEO or manger that "stands up to the chairman" means you'll be expected to do the same. Even if you could or did thats a task you can't win.

Yes we are at our lowest point but the ship is still afloat. If people really want to save the club then wave those red cards at the council later this month. A green light for FF means you get red of Ron the quickest and the easiest way. Those that want pitch invasions and point deductions are trying to scuttle a perfectly good ship because they don't like the captain. The problem is we will all go down with it.

Wait your time Stan. I would much rather see you with a smile on your face it Stan's bar at FF. Something similar to Jim's bar at Fleetwood because you and the fans had a big say in the planning of it all.
Disagree with this view, I personally believe we are and have been sinking fast.

End of the day, people saying no can't bring up another avenue we can use to sort out this mess, this is better than nothing, if it doesn't work then it can't be worse than the **** we're already in.

I 100% support Stan being involved the club yes, but I do not support him calling to stop protests etc.

Tuesday and Saturday was never about Phil Brown but yes, Brown & Fagan had to go, hopefully Duncan is next.

The problem within the club is Ron Martin, it’s a very simple way of him deflecting attention and calling for protests to stop, but 1 sacking some people and 2 using Stan.

Ron is a PR and marketing genius… we simply cannot let this die, because of 1 person!

I was unsure before but now I'm a definite yes, although I am only halfway through the zoom meeting.

Without trying to sound ungrateful to Stan, I'm in now because we have no other choice. I do however want the constant in and out to stop. If he goes out again then that's it for me personally.

Do I think it'll be all rosy though, definitely not.

I 100% support Stan being involved the club yes, but I do not support him calling to stop protests etc.

Tuesday and Saturday was never about Phil Brown but yes, Brown & Fagan had to go, hopefully Duncan is next.

The problem within the club is Ron Martin, it’s a very simple way of him deflecting attention and calling for protests to stop, but 1 sacking some people and 2 using Stan.

Ron is a PR and marketing genius… we simply cannot let this die, because of 1 person!
Hey SWF

Give the zoom call a watch and listen to the 10 minutes talking about protests, a moritorium and moving forward.

Nobody is suggesting PR stunts or me as a patsy, but a moritorium makes absolute sense for everyone and I'm happy to meet groups and individuals to set out why pal.

Hear me out.

Stan, that’s great pal! I spoke to you post game on Tuesday
. Happy to talk! But you turned up in the summer, gave it a shot, RM moved the goal posts… you rightly walk away…

Anyone with business sense would!

The protests on Tuesday and Saturday had nothing to do with a set fans group at all. You calling for no more protests with them does not make the slightest bit of difference.

As a football club, we are in a mess! The mess is RM, zoom calls, and votes of no confidence are complete and utter waste of time! He is not going! That’s a fact! Your zoom call last night is great, but in otherwords is a public job interview you can’t fail to get!

But Ron does need to be shown the distaste towards him! 100% I will support any new manager and back them with the same passion! And if some short term progress is made, then yes I’m sure the protests will stop, but results don’t change and this is only getting worse and worse!

I think what really came across on the Zoom call this time was how much more informed Stan was than the first time around in May. So Stan if you’re reading this thank you for doing your due diligence and extensively researching all aspects of our club. If you’re gonna get the position at our club that you’re after this will be essential.

I feel in both of the Zoom calls with Stan I’ve felt a buzz of excitement about what the club could become that I’ve not had in years. But that was tempered by the fact it didn’t work out first time around. Everything Stan has said in both calls has made perfect sense and is music to the ears of all supporters. But proof is in the pudding as they say so Stan grow a thick skin for the inevitable idiotic abuse you’ll probably get from some sections of our support. That will come from your new position (if it materialises) as you’ll be there to be shot at and obviously have had a high profile career and checkered past. If you can start delivering what has been promised in these calls then hopefully the club will have a bright future.

I’m definitely prepared to give Stan the benefit of the doubt - he said he’d get us a CEO and he delivered. Who knows where we’d be if he’d stayed involved in the months since then?!

Stan brings a feel good factor and that is invaluable when the team is at its lowest and for that alone, he is an asset. I believe the squad is better (not hugely) than the recent results show and I am willing to back anything or anyone that gives the squad a confidence boost. I think the same would happen if Tilly had a role, the Hall would feel more optimistic. Its all about perception and success can be attained by such things. Of course there needs to be a long term strategy but the here and now is upon us and the players and fans need to feel there is a cause to follow.

"but a moritorium makes absolute sense"

now that RM is finally on the run ...

- as SUFC is outed as the latest league club to fall apart
- as the football world and media see the images of supporters on the pitch,
- now that the SUFC support has finally got off its knees ..
- as all the chickens come to roost .....

You want it all to stop ..

- Why ?

- What for ?

Is there some sugar daddy hanging around ?

Let's hope it all works out and the next manager does well but don't forget the last time Ron took outside advice on a manager it ended in disaster.
As stan has said he is not a jam rolly polly man he does what he does for the love of Southen united .the other man in question who gave Ron bad advice not once but twice .Idont beleve Stan would be the same .

Great to see such a definitive vote (so far) in favour of Stan’s involvement in the club.

Personally I have watched the recent Zoom along with the prior ones a few months back and it is great to hear someone speaking with so much sense and clarity on a vision for the club. If he can even get 50% of what he sees as possible in place then I can only see it being positive.

I was unsure before but now I'm a definite yes, although I am only halfway through the zoom meeting.

Without trying to sound ungrateful to Stan, I'm in now because we have no other choice. I do however want the constant in and out to stop. If he goes out again then that's it for me personally.

Do I think it'll be all rosy though, definitely not.
Stan left the first time because of the stick he was getting from fans, mainly on here. Who can blame him? Why would he get involved if he gets grief due to it, that's not SVC being flakey, that's him just being normal. If I offer to help someone for free and got dogs abuse then I'd walk away, and I'm sure you would too. Just like why would we expect the players to give their all if they're getting abused from the stands? I think the righteous anger and frustration at what's happened over the last 3-4 years has turned into something more toxic and harmful that isn't helping our situation, and we need to address this very quickly.

We need to separate and make clear that as fans we get behind the team and get behind those who are doing the right thing, as well as voice our dissatisfaction at those who are badly running our club.

IMO we get behind SVC, the new manager, the players, the CEO - we have to have some trust in those and we have to play our part as supporters. We can help things on the pitch by giving the players time and support and encouragement, no matter how bleak things look.

But on the flip side, we keep holding Ron's feet to the fire, IMO by not spending a penny unless he clearly demonstrates that he's meeting objectives that we set - e.g. open dialogue with the supporter's groups, investment in the squad, resolving the structure of the coaching staff etc (there will be more, obviously, this is just top of my mind). I said this to SOS in the summer but it didn't seem to be heard - after the noisy protests what can we do next?

All this doesn't mean people can't question SVC's motives or his ability to tangibly help - but we have to hope and to trust, and even if SVC's motivations aren't purely altruistic I think he's done enough so far to suggest that he wants SUFC to succeed and he does genuinely want to help.

But just as everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's also important to remember that voicing (y)our opinion can come with consequences, it did last time and IMO it set the club back and was extremely damaging to lose SVC from the process.

Last edited:
Have we ever been in a darker place as a club? The answer to that is a resounding no! We all know Stan went onto to bigger and better things than us but I find it very heart warming he has always kept his affection for a club where he only had 6 months at. Shows that he probably sees us as the club that set a wayward lad on his way to stardom and this is a bit of payback for that time. How many other former players have come out to say they will lend a hand? I am sure there are some and again they should be welcomed with open arms.

The last three / four seasons have been emotionally draining and devoid of ANY joy. We are at breaking point and as a fan base we are beginning to fracture which isn't good. You have those who want Ron out and act upon it, those who want Ron out but sit on the side lines and tut at those who do do something and some who are just so apathetic now that, although they love the club, have had all the soul sucked out of them.

Stan can have a unifying affect, he has ideas, he has contacts, he has passion and most importantly some love for the club to help it in a selfless way, in short we need people like Stan in and around the club to affect the changes that will hopefully help us survive and then thrive.

100% want Stan to be involved and if Ron agrees -

Day 1 / Agenda 1- should however be about how are these two strong characters going to work together, Stan clearly has ideas with timescales, Ron will have the last word on all/most things along with his own ideas moving forward.

I think Ron has a 'get out of jail' card with Stan and now is definitely the right time to play it

I hope their common ground for doing the right thing for the club (I believe Ron cares for the club) will make it work. Having Tom involved is great and he'll definitely have a part to play regarding moving forward with these two :-)

Let's hope it all works out and the next manager does well but don't forget the last time Ron took outside advice on a manager it ended in disaster.
Difference is this time there are 3 others on the selection panel not just arry who only believes Southend are a joke of a club and to prove his point recommended clowns to RM.

Stan, that’s great pal! I spoke to you post game on Tuesday
. Happy to talk! But you turned up in the summer, gave it a shot, RM moved the goal posts… you rightly walk away…

Anyone with business sense would!

The protests on Tuesday and Saturday had nothing to do with a set fans group at all. You calling for no more protests with them does not make the slightest bit of difference.

As a football club, we are in a mess! The mess is RM, zoom calls, and votes of no confidence are complete and utter waste of time! He is not going! That’s a fact! Your zoom call last night is great, but in otherwords is a public job interview you can’t fail to get!

But Ron does need to be shown the distaste towards him! 100% I will support any new manager and back them with the same passion! And if some short term progress is made, then yes I’m sure the protests will stop, but results don’t change and this is only getting worse and worse!
SVC dIdnt ask for the protests to stop ,he asked for a truce maybe the word for a few weeks so that the new manager has a bit of time to get to know the players and get his strageties ,tactics whatever across to one and all,i dont think thats too much to ask.

100% want Stan to be involved and if Ron agrees -

Day 1 / Agenda 1- should however be about how are these two strong characters going to work together, Stan clearly has ideas with timescales, Ron will have the last word on all/most things along with his own ideas moving forward.

I think Ron has a 'get out of jail' card with Stan and now is definitely the right time to play it

I hope their common ground for doing the right thing for the club (I believe Ron cares for the club) will make it work. Having Tom involved is great and he'll definitely have a part to play regarding moving forward with these two :-)
Totally agree with that. Ron looks tired and jaded, out of ideas. Tried many different approaches.

Reactions: JAL
Back