• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
"Wake up! Wake up. You did not lose a game tonight because you had one up front... We are simply a better team." - Slaven Bilic, 21st November 2007

Almost one year on from the debacle at Wembley, from the wally and his brolly and the humiliation of a very public failure, have England woken up at all? Is there anything to suggest that England aren't sleep-walking into another disaster in Zagreb? There's certainly no evidence on the pitch.

The conductor may have changed, but the song remains the same. Blessed with some of Europe's finest players, England are still less than the sum of their parts. They are tactically inept, infuriatingly stupid and, in all honesty, unlikely to return from Croatia with anything other than a badly bruised ego and a ticket for the play-offs. Fabio Capello is desperately trying to wean his squad off their dirty habits, but time is running out.

Wayne Rooney is one of the finest English players in the last twenty years, but he has all the guile and mental strength of an over-excited puppy. You are supposed to grow out of chasing the ball blindly around the pitch when you leave junior school, but Rooney's misplaced enthusiasm means that he is invariably scampering back towards the halfway line instead of staying up front where he can do some damage. Capello's patience ran out at the weekend, the Italian's touchline tantrum finally breaking the myth that Rooney is 'untouchable'.

Capello also lost his temper with England's moronic belief that high, swirling crosses are the best way to feed tiny Jermaine Defoe. Stewart Downing didn't appear for the second half against Andorra and may not ever be seen in public again, so furious was the manager's wrath.

Croatia are a much better 'team' than England. They work hard for each other, they play to their many strengths, they are brave and determined and they are now seasoned campaigners. Only a penalty shoot-out prevented them from fulfilling their potential in the European Championships and they are clear favourites for this clash.

But ironically, the only factor that bodes well for England, barring an on-field epiphany from the players, is the over-confidence of Slaven Bilic. The Croatian manager's assertion that he expects his team to win the group, while being justified, is a dangerous one. His claims that, "England can't play good football because they play predictable football," are absolutely correct, but he should be wary of tempting fate.

England rarely perform against the lesser teams, but if they are ever convinced that their opponents are superior to them, if they ever feel the cold touch of a wall at their backs, for some reason they seem to turn it on. With Capello snapping at their heels, demanding that they wise up, England are going to find their stride one day. Bilic may actually have finally found a way to motivate them to that end.

PROBABLE LINE-UP

James, D

Johnson, G
Cole, A
Terry, J
Ferdinand, R

Cole, J
Walcott, T
Barry, G
Lampard, F

Rooney, W
Heskey, E

Agree with your team apart from I reckon that Wes Brown will come in for Glen Johnson as he is a bit more assured defensively (and has a lot more experience)

I think we will see Wes Brown in at right back and David Beckham on the right hand side of midfield tonight and I fancy us to win it tonight, especially if Heskey is paired with either Rooney or Defoe.

We need a physical force upfront.

I think we will see Wes Brown in at right back and David Beckham on the right hand side of midfield tonight and I fancy us to win it tonight, especially if Heskey is paired with either Rooney or Defoe.

We need a physical force upfront.

the guardian reckon it's going to be

james

brown
ferdinand
terry
cole

becks
barry
lampard

theo
rooney
j cole

so 451!

the guardian reckon it's going to be

james

brown
ferdinand
terry
cole

becks
barry
lampard

theo
rooney
j cole

so 451!

I'm praying they are wrong. We tried experimenting with 3-5-2 when we last went to Zagreb and we lost 2-0. So why try experimenting with 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 (However you call it) against them again.

both times we played defensive formations (3-5-2 and 4-5-1) and we still couldn't contain them... becks shouldn't be in the starting lineup, we need pace and trickery on the flanks because their full-backs are their weakness, and rooney needs to stay up top to support (hopefully) heskey

both times we played defensive formations (3-5-2 and 4-5-1) and we still couldn't contain them... becks shouldn't be in the starting lineup, we need pace and trickery on the flanks because their full-backs are their weakness, and rooney needs to stay up top to support (hopefully) heskey

I think we should chain Rooney upfront to stop him going walkabouts. I love his energy and passion for the game, but he uses it in the wrong places. Look at the Russia game in qualifying, he gave away a penalty against them. We don't need him there.

Yes he can run across the line, track the full backs once or twice, but the rest of the time I want him alongside Heskey providing a GOAL THREAT. Something he hasn't done for a very, very long time.

Back