• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zone Update Doesn't look like anyone's coming in...

I odn't want you upset any of you, and I know the majority don't ever agree with me, but I just want to let you into a couple of little facts, hhhhm get ready people, CM did want to come here, he did want to sign for us, he was holding out for us, and knocked swindon back for us, unfortunately all the interest from RM soon vanished as he tried to play a game with Wolves over the transfer fee, (which we now know was more in the region of £8- than the £150 quoted) anyway after RM kept swerving wolves CM Agent etc and not getting any answers from the club, he finally got itchy feet and had to look else were

If that's right, then that would be monstrously disappointing. But, how do you know this?

:unsure:

Have to say, that squad looks ridiculously thin. Looks like Foran will need to play a part after all.

Matt

Are these all just not knee jerk reactions to a small squad? Would we really want an under-performing player on our books like Black for yet another season when management, fans and players alike had seemingly lost faith in his ability to deliver?

Money that could be used perhaps to entice a Premiership loanee down here to get a season or two's solid playing experience, and hopefully give us a noticeable point of difference in the league.

Are these all just not knee jerk reactions to a small squad? Would we really want an under-performing player on our books like Black for yet another season when management, fans and players alike had seemingly lost faith in his ability to deliver?

Money that could be used perhaps to entice a Premiership loanee down here to get a season or two's solid playing experience, and hopefully give us a noticeable point of difference in the league.

Definitely knee jerks from me, that's my point, never thought I would ever think about Tommy Black in a shirt again.

Are you having a f*cking laugh?

Let's take a look at the squad that will be competing this year, taken from the squad numbers...

1. Steve Mildenhall
2. Simon Francis
4. Nicky Bailey
5. Peter Clarke
6. Adam Barrett
8. Alan McCormack
9. Lee Barnard
10. James Walker
11. Alex Revell
12. Damian Scannell
14. Franck Moussa
15. Osei Sankofa
18. Johnny Herd
20. Matt Harrold
22. Richie Foran
24. Ian Joyce
25. Clark Masters
29. Paul Furlong
30. Stuart O'Keefe
43. David Marrable

Ok, let's take off the competition winner/more money than sense man as well as the 3 Goalkeepers:

2. Simon Francis
4. Nicky Bailey
5. Peter Clarke
6. Adam Barrett
8. Alan McCormack
9. Lee Barnard
10. James Walker
11. Alex Revell
12. Damian Scannell
14. Franck Moussa
15. Osei Sankofa
18. Johnny Herd
20. Matt Harrold
22. Richie Foran
29. Paul Furlong
30. Stuart O'Keefe

Now let's take off O'Keefe and Herd as, despite impressing in pre-season, have barely played an ounce of competitive football in their lives. Also deduct from that Foran and Harrold who won't put on a blue's shirt unless it's absolutely imperative that we do.

2. Simon Francis
4. Nicky Bailey
5. Peter Clarke
6. Adam Barrett
8. Alan McCormack
9. Lee Barnard
10. James Walker
11. Alex Revell
12. Damian Scannell
14. Franck Moussa
15. Osei Sankofa
29. Paul Furlong

That's 12 outfield players with 10 outfield positions to fill. Of those 12, 4 are strikers, played anywhere else they'll be out of position. No feasible left back without shaking the team up, no left wing without shaking the team up and, with Macca out and Moussa more than likely to start, the midfield looks incredibly lightweight.

Yes. Indeed we are f*cked without bodies being brought in. Anybody who doesn't think that is living in cloud cuckoo land i'm afraid.

and don't forget that two of those are unsettled and on the transfer list. A good offer and those two will probably be sold.

For the poster who said he's never known a manager to be so reluctant to sign a player. Are you serious? Don't you think Tilly would have signed at least 6 players - eg Mulgrew, Clapham, etc - by now if he had been allowed? He has clearly been stopped. His hands and feet are tied. Whatever is going on behind the scenes financially, surely it's the chairman who's stopping him. As I've said before, I just hope our best ever manager doesn't get so frustrated that he walks away - especially when he gets the undoubted abuse from a moronic section of our fans if and when we start badly.

As for the finances, I'd rather see us struggle in League One rather than have no club to support at all, but how have we got into such a mess that we cannot bolster a squad of 12 outfield players in which two of our most played players last year are on the transfer list? Incidentally - I'm not against the decision to put them on the transfer list - that depends on whether they've made inflated wage demands that we can't afford. I'm merely commenting on the numbers of available, willing-to-play outfield players we have.

What I'd like to know is: we've got the largest attendances we've had for years, we've got a tighter ship on wages, we've lost the higher-paid players, we've had good cup runs and TV money recently. If we can't afford 16 outfield players now, what hope is there next year if we have a bad season and attendances drop?

I really hope we make some decent signings in the next few days, but the signs from Roots Hall don't look at all encouraging that that's going to happen.

As much as no one at the club will want to admit it but i think we are skint, It looks like we're going to have to settle for mid-table mediocrity (spelling) until the stadium is built.

As much as no one at the club will want to admit it but i think we are skint, It looks like we're going to have to settle for mid-table mediocrity (spelling) until the stadium is built.

Settle for mid-table mediocrity? I'd snap that right away. Gillingham's Southend B team squad last year was far better than what we've got. If Tilly keeps us up with this, it will be a huge achievement. Unless of course we get some decent players in (whether on loan or otherwise).

Yer but what i mean is you can have up to 7, if you only want to put 5 on the bench u can, not that we've got enough for 7 on the bench

Yer but what i mean is you can have up to 7, if you only want to put 5 on the bench u can, not that we've got enough for 7 on the bench

You cant put up to 7 in a league game. The maximum is 5. In the league cup, you are allowes to put a maximum of 7 on the bench

For the poster who said he's never known a manager to be so reluctant to sign a player. Are you serious? Don't you think Tilly would have signed at least 6 players - eg Mulgrew, Clapham, etc - by now if he had been allowed? He has clearly been stopped. His hands and feet are tied. Whatever is going on behind the scenes financially, surely it's the chairman who's stopping him. As I've said before, I just hope our best ever manager doesn't get so frustrated that he walks away - especially when he gets the undoubted abuse from a moronic section of our fans if and when we start badly.

As for the finances, I'd rather see us struggle in League One rather than have no club to support at all, but how have we got into such a mess that we cannot bolster a squad of 12 outfield players in which two of our most played players last year are on the transfer list? Incidentally - I'm not against the decision to put them on the transfer list - that depends on whether they've made inflated wage demands that we can't afford. I'm merely commenting on the numbers of available, willing-to-play outfield players we have.

What I'd like to know is: we've got the largest attendances we've had for years, we've got a tighter ship on wages, we've lost the higher-paid players, we've had good cup runs and TV money recently. If we can't afford 16 outfield players now, what hope is there next year if we have a bad season and attendances drop?

I really hope we make some decent signings in the next few days, but the signs from Roots Hall don't look at all encouraging that that's going to happen.
Crikey. I'd not thought of it that way, but what you say makes an awful lot of sense.

We've been financially screwed for some time, though, and in an economic downturn - especially when the new-build residential housing market (i.e. Ron's business) has fallen through the floor - it could well be that we don't have two brass farthings to rub together, and so Ron has got to look for alternative sources of funding.

Such as calling in the numerous loans that the club owes SEL and RHL.

Not looking good, is it? This could be a pretty tough season; but then moving to the new ground was never going to be a totally pain-free exercise, I suspect.

Matt

Settle for mid-table mediocrity? I'd snap that right away. Gillingham's Southend B team squad last year was far better than what we've got. If Tilly keeps us up with this, it will be a huge achievement. Unless of course we get some decent players in (whether on loan or otherwise).

Bailey > Maher
Barrett > Richards
Clarke > Sodje (has he been released now?)
McCormack > Thurgood
Our number one vs Royce - unknown

oh come on mate. They didnt have anybody with the quality of Bailey, Francis, Barnard, Clarkey or Macca in their squad

oh come on mate. They didnt have anybody with the quality of Bailey, Francis, Barnard, Clarkey or Macca in their squad

I'm not talking about 4 good players (I don't count our kamikaze centre-half who loses concentration and the man he's marking). And by the way, we're still trying to sell Bailey and Clarke. One of the other players is promising but inconsistent. And the other two will end up missing a large part of this season through either injuries or suspensions. Anyway, I'm talking about our squad and not what you may think are our best 5 players.

We're in deep trouble on the field this season unless we sign about 4-6 decent players in the right positions.

our first team is full of quality, you cant argue with that. 2 players short, left back and left mid, of a team to fear. it's only backup and players to keep them on their toes which are needed. that's where loans are gonna come in. still need that left side sorted out and quick.

Now is not the time to get too concerned. We still have a week to go until the season starts.

According to the OS we are trialing a new guy against Wycombe.

You never know, super Steve may sort something out yet!!

Just to add a little rose tinted perspective Ive just read the story and theres no mention we wont be signing any permanent players, just that we are looking to bolster the squad with loanees.

That story is not a confirmation we wont be signing anyone, although the likelihood of 4 signings does look unlikely.

He said there wont be any movement on the loan front, not that there wouldnt be any in transfer market.

Its clear we are getting Grant in and still looking for a left back.

That doesnt seem to back up all the claims on this thread Ron Martin has said to Tilson no more players......

As i said yesterday, we are in it ... and very deep!

We have missed out on players whom actually WANTED to come to the club (Mulgrew & Lockwood being 2 of them) and im sure there are literally dozens elsewhere ...

Kev

God reading this and Im feeling very very depressed as I am agreeing with most on here we are basically "donald ducked". Without a number of even half descent signing we are heading for probably a poor start of the season, rallying in the middle and then reaching the dizzy hights of relegation safety by about april. Im am not even confident that we will even finish above the scum and borient, so its squeeky bum time folks......... bring it on!

Back