• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zone Update Doesn't look like anyone's coming in...

As i said yesterday, we are in it ... and very deep!

We have missed out on players whom actually WANTED to come to the club (Mulgrew & Lockwood being 2 of them) and im sure there are literally dozens elsewhere ...

Kev

Mulgrew went back home to play in the SPL, I dont believe he would have preferred to come here.

Lockwood was far too pricey for a 31 year old.

our first team is full of quality, you cant argue with that. 2 players short, left back and left mid, of a team to fear. it's only backup and players to keep them on their toes which are needed. that's where loans are gonna come in. still need that left side sorted out and quick.

This is exactly how I feel but we are looking thin on the ground.

To say that we'll defintiely be struggling on the pitch (again, no-one's being so bold as to mention the R word) still seems way off. We've only lost Flahavan, Mulgrew, Gower and Black from the team that produced promotion form last season and of those we'll only miss Gower's goals, Mulgrew's set pieces and Flahavan's occasional brilliance in shot-stopping.

Just to add a little rose tinted perspective Ive just read the story and theres no mention we wont be signing any permanent players, just that we are looking to bolster the squad with loanees.

That story is not a confirmation we wont be signing anyone, although the likelihood of 4 signings does look unlikely.

He said there wont be any movement on the loan front, not that there wouldnt be any in transfer market.

Its clear we are getting Grant in and still looking for a left back.

That doesnt seem to back up all the claims on this thread Ron Martin has said to Tilson no more players......

Slightly embarassed for not reading the article myself, to be honest.

Mulgrew went back home to play in the SPL, I dont believe he would have preferred to come here.

If we'd stumped up the money for Mulgrew he wouldve come here, of that I have no doubt.

I tend to take a quite optimistic view with things. And I certainly don't let the lack of transfer activity in early July worry me like it does some people on here. But this is a bit perturbing.

As it stands, a couple of knocks, a silly sending off and the club will be asking fans to bring their boots to the game just in case.

Mulgrew wanted to be at Sarfend. He really enjoyed his spell down here and like cockles said, he rejected Swindon as his agent said that the Southend deal would be done within the week, but of course that never materialiased and he went back up to Scotland!

1. Steve Mildenhall
2. Simon Francis
6. Adam Barrett
9. Lee Barnard
10. James Walker
12. Damian Scannell
14. Franck Moussa
15. Osei Sankofa
24. Ian Joyce
29. Paul Furlong
Midlenhall
If you take out all the youth players, the competition winner and injuries, or players who are injury prone and looking to move and are on the transfer list this is what's left. Not a pretty site.

3 defenders
2 keepers
4 strikers
2 midfielders

Last edited:
Bring back Tes Bramble. Would cost next to nothing and probably as good as Paul Furlong..

If you take out all the youth players, the competition winner and injuries, or players who are injury prone and looking to move and are on the transfer list this is what's left. Not a pretty site.

3 defenders
2 keepers
4 strikers
2 midfielders

You're being very generous by leaving in Barnard as a player who is NOT injury prone!

Panic, scare mongering...oh dear. Let it take it's course. You all moaning and worrying is going to change nothing, so why worry about it, just enjoy the fact that you are alive and breathing!!!

If it was cloudy and you couldn't see the moon one night, you would all probably think it had been removed from the skies.

Bring back Tes Bramble. Would cost next to nothing and probably as good as Paul Furlong..

You've got to be kidding me. I'd rather Harrold over Bramble...now Marky Rawle, he could come back...just for the Marky Rawle's Disco Pants song.

A team is ment to go strength to strength, season after season, well its easy to see that we have a worse squad than we did last season, the season before that aswell, cary on like this we will be lucky with a mid-table finish. No way will we go without a single injury or suspension all season. Perfetic

The fact is that, apart from 3 or 4 teams, everyone in this division is strapped for cash. What Tilly appears to be doing is bring in quality over quantity.

Someone on this thread suggested we sign anybody rather than nobody; I'd rather loan somebody on a short-term when necessary, than sign somebody who isn't good enough for a permanent position. We can bring in these type of loanees at very short notice.

Or we could:
a) spend more than we can afford and end up like Rotherham
b) buy players who aren't good enough and end up like Gillingham
c) spend more than players are worth, end up like Gillingham and Rotherham.

The problem is that players who Tilly wants to recruit are either too expensive in terms of Transfer fees, wage demands etc. or will sign for another bigger or richer club. So unless he unearths a diamond from non-league (another Freddy please), or gets very lucky with a player who has personal reasons/circumstances for wanting to join us on the terms we're offering (Anthony Grant perhaps?), then he has to look at loaning quality from the Prem or CCC, which is what he is going to do from the look of things.

A team is ment to go strength to strength, season after season, well its easy to see that we have a worse squad than we did last season, the season before that aswell, cary on like this we will be lucky with a mid-table finish. No way will we go without a single injury or suspension all season. Perfetic

I think you're deluding yourself a bit if you think a relegated team who have just missed out on promotion is going to hold on to its better players. Gower and Flahavan have moved to bigger clubs and Bailey sounds as though he would move to a bigger club if an offer came along.

What we did need to do the season after relegation is to change the old guard and re-build a team around a new set of players as those sampling Championship life will always want to play there for longer.

The lack of direction in this respect and the way we are treating the most likely central player int he new formation is worrying. I would say that we must sign two more players before the start of the season and then we'll almost be there.

According to Jam Man, the article doesn't actually say that we're done with signings.

So why did we let so many go then? With the exception of Mildenhall all we seemed to have recruited is squad players, not genuine first teamers. Is Sankofa better than Hunt? Grant(if he signs) better than Maher? Joyce better than Collis? Weve just replaced out of favour players with more out of favour players. As someone said we shouldve built on last season after getting so close but instead we seeemd to have gone backwards quickly.

So why did we let so many go then? With the exception of Mildenhall all we seemed to have recruited is squad players, not genuine first teamers. Is Sankofa better than Hunt? Grant(if he signs) better than Maher? Joyce better than Collis? Weve just replaced out of favour players with more out of favour players. As someone said we shouldve built on last season after getting so close but instead we seeemd to have gone backwards quickly.

In fairness CB, there's nothing to say the players we released would have stayed anyway... they were out of contract. And if we had retained them we would not have been able to get anybody in, as opposed to not being able to get anyone in yet. After all, Gower and Flavs were offered deals and didn't stay.

Tilly's in a no win situation re the players released. Personally, I had no problem with his decision to let them go, and I don't recall a great wave of despair from fans at the time.

Yet now, because we have not so far replaced them, we are harping back to the "if only" scenario because it would have put us in a better position than we happen to be in, which could not have been foreseen at the time.

None of us would make any mistake if we used hindsight, would we?

We can only hope our squad gets strengthened, and sooner rather than later.

If that's right, then that would be monstrously disappointing. But, how do you know this?

:unsure:

Have to say, that squad looks ridiculously thin. Looks like Foran will need to play a part after all.

Matt

I just know stuff matt, Im pretty lucky to be able to know stuff I never really bother posting anything because i cant be bothered to be shot down when I post anything negative

also going back to the friendlies thing, I agree they do mean absolutely nothing at all, and especially against the opposition that we face

The fact is that, apart from 3 or 4 teams, everyone in this division is strapped for cash. What Tilly appears to be doing is bring in quality over quantity.

Someone on this thread suggested we sign anybody rather than nobody; I'd rather loan somebody on a short-term when necessary, than sign somebody who isn't good enough for a permanent position. We can bring in these type of loanees at very short notice.

Or we could:
a) spend more than we can afford and end up like Rotherham
b) buy players who aren't good enough and end up like Gillingham
c) spend more than players are worth, end up like Gillingham and Rotherham.

The problem is that players who Tilly wants to recruit are either too expensive in terms of Transfer fees, wage demands etc. or will sign for another bigger or richer club. So unless he unearths a diamond from non-league (another Freddy please), or gets very lucky with a player who has personal reasons/circumstances for wanting to join us on the terms we're offering (Anthony Grant perhaps?), then he has to look at loaning quality from the Prem or CCC, which is what he is going to do from the look of things.

As much as I agree with this, I do also recall our "success" at getting players in on loan at short notice. Frankly we're not very good at it. Quotes such as, "there's no-one available at this time", and "all the clubs want to hold on to their players just in case" spring to mind.

I just know stuff matt, Im pretty lucky to be able to know stuff I never really bother posting anything because i cant be bothered to be shot down when I post anything negative

also going back to the friendlies thing, I agree they do mean absolutely nothing at all, and especially against the opposition that we face

More to the point, let them underestimate us.

Panic, scare mongering...oh dear. Let it take it's course. You all moaning and worrying is going to change nothing, so why worry about it, just enjoy the fact that you are alive and breathing!!!

If it was cloudy and you couldn't see the moon one night, you would all probably think it had been removed from the skies.

Sh*t, i couldnt see the moon last night, thats it, we must sign buzz lightyear or my season card is going back and Tilly must go!!

Seriously, this aint a good situation considering that this club would fly, rons words not mine, right now it dont look like we have any wings never mind a bloody engine to get it going.
If we pick up 1 or 2 knocks against Peterboro, we are well and truly screwed!!
And from what brushy said we aint getting loans in till the premiershite season is a few weeks old!!!

Come on sort it out, never ever known a situation like this

Back