• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Doom and gloom?

rabbloke

Coach
A bad day to only draw. Other results were quite kind to our cause and a win today would have made things seem a lot healthier. Again I raise the concern over the size of the squad. Yeovil have 25 players, Swansea 27 and Sc**thorpe 30. Southend can barely muster 20 without the kids and not even 16 fully fit. I cant help but feel this is contributing to our 'dip' in results. Tilly said he had loan players in mind and then recently stated he had failed on a number of attempts to bring in a loan player. When we are fourth it should make us reasonably attractive but apparently not. The 'could not score in a brothel' syndrome seems to be rearing its ugly head again but i suppose we need to give it more than two blank games before commenting too much. Mind you the supply given by mahers corners is hardly likely to help the cause. Fresh legs please Tilly and a new impetus for the remainder of the season.

Couldn't agree more! Just got back from the game and a massive two points dropped!

The thing is, Tilly still dithers with substitutes! Surely they could have been brought on earlier. Gower and Gray done well when they come on!

IMHO Bentley has well gone off the boil and should be dropped.

And when is Maher going to learn to take a decent free kick and corner? You just know everything is gonna fall into the keeper's hands even before he has kicked the ball!

Lewis Hunt and Adam Barratt played really well today, with Hunt just edging it for man of the match.

Least results went our way and Yeovil and B'Orient Lost.

UP THE BLUES!

All results seemed to go our way except, as my Macc supporting chum keeps reminding me, Macc Kiddy.

Definitely agree with Bentley from what I saw over Xmas. Could do with a new signing. Devaney anyone?

Yeah Bentley should be dropped, he's gone the same way as Jupp!

Definitely agree we need another signing! And pref a midfielder who can play in the centre and on one of the wings!
Hope Jay Smith makes a very speedy recovery, now that would be excellent!

Has Maher got it written in his contract a clause that reads "no matter how bad i play, i shall not be substituted off"? Certainly seems like it!

UP THE BLUES!

Saw Jay still on crutches at 5 to 3. He wont be back until next season. Time for a few loanee's me thinks ...

Not so long ago everyone was in pretty much agreement that we needed Bentley back. Now he is back, everyone's started to get on his back! Make up your minds. IMO Bentley is key to us and a big reason why we've improved since the start of 2004. He's adds so much bite and willingness, yes, today he had a bad game, but everyone has a dip in form. When he doesn't play it's clear that we miss him and I really hope we don't have to put up with Hunt playing instead of him at Mansfield. It's a must that Petts gets a game there.

I do agree though that we definitely need a bit of freshening up. A new loan player might just buck the ideas of some players up. There wasn't as much determination and willingness today, and 2 or 3 players especially seem to know that no matter what, they'll be involved each and every week.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ Jan. 15 2005,18:50)]Bentley dropped, give us:

Nicolau Maher Pettefer Gower
WOW!!!! - That's a midfield quartet that would have the rest of the Division quaking in their boots.......... NOT!!.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fiftyone @ Jan. 15 2005,21:39)]
[b said:

WOW!!!! - That's a midfield quartet that would have the rest of the Division quaking in their boots.......... NOT!!.
It's like a who's who of Premier$hite "never actually played a game" cast offs!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Jan. 15 2005,17:41)]Couldn't agree more!  Just got back from the game and a massive two points dropped!

The thing is, Tilly still dithers with substitutes!  Surely they could have been brought on earlier.  Gower and Gray done well when they come on!

IMHO Bentley has well gone off the boil and should be dropped.

And when is Maher going to learn to take a decent free kick and corner?  You just know everything is gonna fall into the keeper's hands even before he has kicked the ball!

Lewis Hunt and Adam Barratt played really well today, with Hunt just edging it for man of the match.

Least results went our way and Yeovil and B'Orient Lost.

UP THE BLUES!
Agree about the subs - Gower looked fit during the half time break, and could have done with coming on ten minutes earlier on than he did. Benno is a favouite of mine, but he had a rubbish game, and Petts should have had longer playing through the middle i.m.h.o,

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fiftyone @ Jan. 15 2005,21:39)]
[b said:

Would you like to explain whats wrong with that midfield exactly - even without Bentley/Smith thats a midfield four who could stand up to pretty much any in this division.

to be honest, it just looks a bit empty and considering none of the players are really, how shall i put it, able to hold their own as they can all get pushed off the ball easily, just makes you a bit scared thats all.

I respect your opinion but have to disagree, Maher and Pettefer are ball-winners (Petts in particular today won pretty much every 50/50 he went in for), Nicolau is the only left-footed member of our squad and that makes a big difference in terms of delivery from that side plus his set-pieces are extremely dangerous, far more so than any other. With Gower on the right he can also get to the line which will make his deliveries for the front two even more dangerous and when that front two includes a natural goalscorer such as Eastwood we can definitely benefit from a midfield such as this (at least while Bentley is suspended anyway).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]plus his set-pieces are extremely dangerous, far more so than any other

Not yesterday they weren't. They were very disappointing with one exception.

But otherwise I agree with you.

what a load of rubbish this thread has become. Well done to the poster who slated our midfield in spite of the fact that one of them is the most talented midfielder we've had for ages and another is our influential captain. Add to them one player who's given 100% commitment in every game he's played regardless of the fact he rarely gets any credit and another who clearly has potential to be a very good player for the club but is very young and still learning the game and the criticism seems incredibly unjust.

Maher and Pettefer, IMO, easily make as many tackles as Bentley and Nicolau should know how to tackle, being a defender. Just because they don't go flying in over the ball or (allegedly) kick Col U players in the head, it doesn't mean they don't fight in midfield.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am a Bentley fan and have admired the way he's continually improved since getting here. However, if he has a bad game, it may be the right decision to give another player a chance.

All five are good players, thats why we are 4th, this really has become stupid. Those who feel we have no chance without Bentley are rediculas, i agree he is superb, but i cant possibly second sufcintheprem enough on this one!

Well done mate

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Jan. 16 2005,03:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]plus his set-pieces are extremely dangerous, far more so than any other

Not yesterday they weren't.  They were very disappointing with one exception.

But otherwise I agree with you.
Maybe my judgement has been clouded by the fact that Maher's deliveries (and latterly Gower's) from the other side were absolutely dire! Maher was outstanding yesterday bar his set-pieces which for someone with one of the highest amount of assists in League Two was very disappointing. On the whole I thought Nicky's deliveries were quite good bar a couple. It is beneficial to have a left-footer in the side for set-pieces, IMHO we look more dangerous from them now we can swing them in from both flanks.

Back