• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

They were all offered one-year contracts but got better offers elsewhere - Bentley joined Gillingham (I think) because he was offered a two-year contract and he wanted the security of the extra year to help look after his family.

Think Jupp joined Gillingham as well for similar reasons; I can’t remember what happened with Gray but I’m almost certain he was offered a deal as well.

I don’t think they were offered wage increases, which was the problem. The only one who stayed was Che Wilson, who was given a pay rise as he was on pittance.

They were all offered one-year contracts but got better offers elsewhere - Bentley joined Gillingham (I think) because he was offered a two-year contract and he wanted the security of the extra year to help look after his family.

Think Jupp joined Gillingham as well for similar reasons; I can’t remember what happened with Gray but I’m almost certain he was offered a deal as well.

I don’t think they were offered wage increases, which was the problem. The only one who stayed was Che Wilson, who was given a pay rise as he was on pittance.

Similar to how we lost Atkinson and Corr when we got promoted.

Correct, both went over the river for 2 year contracts. If we had offered the same they would have stayed...so we 'let them go' when we could and should have retained them. Our mistake. We all know the hardest thing is to assemble a winning team and squad. It's not just about the capability of individual players, though of course that's key. The way ALL interact and bond with each other on and off the pitch is vital for success. They wouldn't have set the world alight in the Champ but for the sake of an extra 12 months for each we lost 2 parts (of a very small number in total) of that winning formula. And instead wasted the money on Ricketts!!

Last edited:
Correct, both went over the river for 2 year contracts. If we had offered the same they would have stayed...so we 'let them go' when we could and should have retained them. Our mistake. We all know the hardest thing is to assemble a winning team and squad. It's not just about the capability of individual players, though of course that's key. The way ALL interact with each other on and off the pitch is vital for success. They wouldn't have set the world alight in the Champ but for the sake of an extra 12 months for each we lost 2 parts (of a very small number in total) of that winning formula. And instead wasted the money on Ricketts!!
Fair enough, I thought you meant 'let go' as in released.

You are right, though. Tilly and the team did largely suffer through the change of mentality, from a small tight-knit and well-drilled squad environment to spending a shed load of money on players and wages. Seemed a good idea at the time as, whatever people say about Ron, he certainly backed Tilly financially, but hindsight is a joyless thing.
Similar to how we lost Atkinson and Corr when we got promoted.
I'm still angry about what happened with Corr, who clearly wanted to stay but couldn't get through to either Brown or Ron during their holidays to sort the contract out. The fact that neither knew he had signed for Cambridge until after they got back says it all. Corr and Cox would have been a great front two.

Shame about Atko, who had agreed to stay but changed his mind, although maybe he should have been tied down earlier as well.

We just have a habit of letting these contracts run down and losing players because we faff about with their deals.

Brown getting Yearwood signed on a long deal was excellent business and we should’ve done the same with Kelman.

Back