• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nice little report in the Echo about Juppy..

DUNCAN Jupp is backing Southend United to win their battle against the drop.

The Shrimpers are currently just two points above the relegation zone.

But their former right back knows from his own experience how quickly things can change.

“I remember in my first season with Southend we were right down the bottom of League Two before going on a great run and there’s no reason why they can’t do the same again now,” said Jupp, who made 117 appearances during three years with Blues.

“In Steve Tilson and Paul Brush they have a fantastic managerial team and I’m sure they will have something up their sleeves.

“Southend also went on a great run during the second half of last season and I wouldn’t be surprised if they did that again.

“I obviously hope they do as well because their result is the first I look for every weekend.”

Jupp was with the Shrimpers between 2003 and 2006 and helped the club secure successive promotions to earn a place in the Championship.

The 35-year-old is best remembered for scoring in the play-off final victory over Lincoln City.

And he still remains in shock about his fine finish at the Millennium Stadium.

“Even now I’m surprised that I scored that goal,” said Jupp.

“It was a fantastic moment for me but so was my whole time at Southend. There were obvious ups and down but I can honestly say I loved every single minute of it.

“I really did have the time of my life because there was such a great spirit in the squad and it was a brilliant place to be.”

Subsequently, Jupp is keen for the club to stay in League One this term.

But while he knows Blues face a tough test at play-off chasing MK Dons tomorrow he is not ruling out an away win.

“It will be a hard game there but you get strange results in that league all the time,” said Jupp.

“You did when I played and you still do now - so of course Southend have a chance.”

Jupp also has connections with Dons having spent seven years with them when they were known as Wimbledon.

With them Jupp played in the Premier League and holds happy memories of his time with the club.

“I got to play alongside and against some great players,” said Jupp.

“I didn’t play as much as I would’ve liked but I’m still glad I played at the top level and I certainly have no regrets about my time there.”

A year after Jupp’s departure in 2003, Wimbledon moved to Milton Keynes and became the Dons.

And the former defender remains unsure of his connections to the modern day club.

“It’s a funny one because I was part of the transitional period and my old team-mates were all going to play for Dons,” said Jupp.

“I’m still not sure where I stand in that but it was the club’s supporters I felt sorry for.

“I understand that there wasn’t enough room in Wimbledon for them to build the new ground they needed and it was the only way for them to progress but it was a shame for the supporters.

“They have AFC Wimbledon who have done well though and I wish them and MK Dons all the best for the future.”

Jupp’s own future now lies away from professional football though as he works as a sports coach at his local prep school in West Sussex.

“My legs were going when I was at Southend so I couldn’t carry on for much longer but I love this job now,” said Jupp.

“It’s a lovely part of the world and I’m getting to help youngsters with a wide range of sports and it’s great helping them to learn new things.”

Nice little report in the Echo about Juppy..

DUNCAN Jupp is backing Southend United to win their battle against the drop.

The Shrimpers are currently just two points above the relegation zone.

But their former right back knows from his own experience how quickly things can change.

“I remember in my first season with Southend we were right down the bottom of League Two before going on a great run and there’s no reason why they can’t do the same again now,” said Jupp, who made 117 appearances during three years with Blues.

“In Steve Tilson and Paul Brush they have a fantastic managerial team and I’m sure they will have something up their sleeves.

“Southend also went on a great run during the second half of last season and I wouldn’t be surprised if they did that again.

“I obviously hope they do as well because their result is the first I look for every weekend.”

Jupp was with the Shrimpers between 2003 and 2006 and helped the club secure successive promotions to earn a place in the Championship.

The 35-year-old is best remembered for scoring in the play-off final victory over Lincoln City.

And he still remains in shock about his fine finish at the Millennium Stadium.

“Even now I’m surprised that I scored that goal,” said Jupp.

“It was a fantastic moment for me but so was my whole time at Southend. There were obvious ups and down but I can honestly say I loved every single minute of it.

“I really did have the time of my life because there was such a great spirit in the squad and it was a brilliant place to be.

Subsequently, Jupp is keen for the club to stay in League One this term.

But while he knows Blues face a tough test at play-off chasing MK Dons tomorrow he is not ruling out an away win.

“It will be a hard game there but you get strange results in that league all the time,” said Jupp.

“You did when I played and you still do now - so of course Southend have a chance.”

Jupp also has connections with Dons having spent seven years with them when they were known as Wimbledon.

With them Jupp played in the Premier League and holds happy memories of his time with the club.

“I got to play alongside and against some great players,” said Jupp.

“I didn’t play as much as I would’ve liked but I’m still glad I played at the top level and I certainly have no regrets about my time there.”

A year after Jupp’s departure in 2003, Wimbledon moved to Milton Keynes and became the Dons.

And the former defender remains unsure of his connections to the modern day club.

“It’s a funny one because I was part of the transitional period and my old team-mates were all going to play for Dons,” said Jupp.

“I’m still not sure where I stand in that but it was the club’s supporters I felt sorry for.

“I understand that there wasn’t enough room in Wimbledon for them to build the new ground they needed and it was the only way for them to progress but it was a shame for the supporters.

“They have AFC Wimbledon who have done well though and I wish them and MK Dons all the best for the future.”

Jupp’s own future now lies away from professional football though as he works as a sports coach at his local prep school in West Sussex.

“My legs were going when I was at Southend so I couldn’t carry on for much longer but I love this job now,” said Jupp.

“It’s a lovely part of the world and I’m getting to help youngsters with a wide range of sports and it’s great helping them to learn new things.”

Sadly the same can't be said now. It's not just the fact that wages aren't paid on time, there's an air of negativity around the place that is in great contrast to the air of optimism we had back then.

If I was a Southend player, I wouldn't be looking forward to home games at the moment, not with the air of frustration around the place. I'd be nervous, tense and afraid of making a mistake because I'd know some bloke would call me a ****.

It wasn't like that when Jupp was playing. I'm not saying no players got abused (Mark Gower got hounded out of the club by Ldnftso) but it was generally more supportive, more positive and the type of place that players enjoyed playing at.

I loved that article on the Echo website.

Can never forget that day at Cardiff. What a moment. Completely unforgettable.

Would love to see him, and the double promotion winning side reunited for Maher's testimonial at FF.

impossible not to smile when you watch that, just impossible,
if our current crop have even 20 percent of that spirit, we might just stay up

..and to be fair, it was a decent finish. How on earth did he make up those yards to get there?

Maybe we should have played him up front all the time.

Duncan Jupp - strange name and the sweatiest man in football - I salute you!

Jupp is currently registered with Bognar Regis Town but only made one start last season.

He has indicated to the Rooks management team that he wants to be considered for the first team squad this season and to increase his coaching role at the club.

Jupp returned to pre-season training at Nywood Lane along side another ex-shrimper Luke Nightingale.

Any excuse!!!!
[video=youtube;UqMUDsoyAzs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqMUDsoyAzs[/video]

Never gets tiring watch that video. Let's just hope we can repeat that success and get out of League 2 again this season.

Was an immense day and one I'll remember being at for many years to come. Juppy's goal was the stuff of legends. What a run, what a finish!

DUNCAN Jupp’s hero status at Southend United has forever been secured by his play-off final goal against Lincoln City.

More...

Nice read thanks chris, i think that may be my favourite goal. Definitely top 5.

All these interviews from this period really highlight the importance of getting not just great players, but the right personalities in. The total opposite of whats happened lately.

Back