• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Eagle Departure

DTS

The Business
Personally to me it is a strange one.

First off we are short of bodies as it is. Efe comes in and does well but now he has gone that still noyl leaves us 3 accomplished centre halves and Hunt,Wilson that might do a job.

Secondly it seems weird that we have kept Prior who i think is more injury prone and has been worse than Eagle all season.

I can only assume Tilly is looking to keep wages low but I personally would have liked him to stay longer.

DtS

I'd hope to see a replacement to be honest, Tilson said earlier on in January that nobody would leave without a definite reason. So my thoughts are;

-Eagle wanted to leave, didnt think he was up to it/lost his legs etc
-Tilson is freeing up wages for a signing or
-We can expect to see a Grays face in return, possibly Dennis Oli or Gary Hooper.

Plus when paired together Barrett plays better with Spinner than he does Eagle. He needs that vocal presence that Spinner gives him I think.

A shame though that Eagle's left like this.

I blame SZ for his departure!

tounge.gif

But in all seriousness Eagle this season has been very accomplished at the back and everyone expected him to be a bit part player this season but with Prior's proness to injury he has came in and done a fantastic job. The signing of Effe was always going to put pressure not just on his first team place but in his squad place. However as I stated in previous posts about Eagle I believe as like DtS that we are short at the back. If Effe or Barrett gets suspended and Prior's injury problems continue for the rest of the season then we will be caught short. Pople say about moving hunt into the middle but then that leaves just two recognised full backs with Jupp and Che.And with a team that is looking for promotion this is very worrying if this scenerio happened. My hope was that tilly had another player coming in - preferably a youngester - one for the future who could come in if needs be. But nothing as materilased as yet.

Eagle will be sourly missed I feel. A great professional but Tilly and himself must of thought it was in his best interests to move on. And I wish him all the luck in the world at Grays.

Comes down to the point that Eagle isn't playing regularly, and at his age he feels he needs to.

With his contract up at the end of the season, and being that he is probably on a fair wack, I wouldn't have thought Tilly would have offered him a new contract anyway. This way, he can play every week (in a pretty good side) and try to get a contract for next season. Grays still have a chance of promotion this year...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Jan. 24 2006,13:41)]I can only assume Tilly is looking to keep wages low but I personally would have liked him to stay longer.
As our highest paid player, surely it would have made more sense to let Prior go if wages were a real issue. Particularly as Eagle has been at least as good as Spinner this season.

Spinner has more value to the club, not only as a player, but as an experienced professional

He is after all on loan and can be recalled if necessary. He is also getting games under his belt. However with Sodje arriving he is pushed down the pecking order.

A great shame as in both spells at Roots Hall he has been a great club man and a top professional. Good luck Eagle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ Jan. 24 2006,13:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Jan. 24 2006,13:41)]I can only assume Tilly is looking to keep wages low but I personally would have liked him to stay longer.
As our highest paid player, surely it would have made more sense to let Prior go if wages were a real issue. Particularly as Eagle has been at least as good as Spinner this season.
How would we know which player is on the bigger wage - where are we getting wage figures from?

Tilly has been entirely consistent about players who are unhappy - he lets them move on. Nicolau and Dudfield tried to play us off against other clubs, and lost. The Cat expressed himself unhappy and was promptly found another dressing room. Eagle has been fantastic, but once he showed that he was unsettled there was only one thing going to happen. I'm just glad that Tilly has pulled strings to make sure that a great player found a very acceptable move.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EastStandBlue @ Jan. 24 2006,13:44)]I'd hope to see a replacement to be honest, Tilson said earlier on in January that nobody would leave without a definite reason. So  my thoughts are;

-Eagle wanted to leave, didnt think he was up to it/lost his legs etc
-Tilson is freeing up wages for a signing or
-We can expect to see a Grays face in return, possibly Dennis Oli or Gary Hooper.
Eagle did not want to leave, but he had previously said he needed to be playing week in week oput to be able to keep going, and Efe's arrival clearly showed him that he was at best 3rd choice, and with the way Spinner gets back in the side when Eagle is playing so well, probably 4th choice, which must have said to him, time to go!

It is a shame that we were unable to give him a farewell, and he was a fan favourite comming "home" for the end of his career, and i know many fans i went with will be upset that they will not be able to thank him for the years of service that he gave us!!

A great pro, that all youngsters can learn a lot from, always gave 100%.

EEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGLE!!!!

You will be missed

According to the Echo, Tilly told the Eagle that he wouldn't be offering him anything at the end of the season and that he was 4th choice centre back at the moment.

Eagle is disappointed to be leaving but wants regular football and a job at the end of the season so has opted to Grays hoping that they get promotion.

I'm sad that he's going!!  
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EastStandBlue @ Jan. 24 2006,13:52)]Spinner has more value to the club, not only as a player, but as an experienced professional
if what I've heard is true, he has a lot more sway at the Club then meets the eye

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Jan. 24 2006,15:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (EastStandBlue @ Jan. 24 2006,13:52)]Spinner has more value to the club, not only as a player, but as an experienced professional
if what I've heard is true, he has a lot more sway at the Club then meets the eye
you can't jus leave it like that lee

sad.gif

Eagle wanted first team football gaurenteed, Prior just wants to be part of southend. Thats how i see it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Jan. 24 2006,15:47)]
[b said:
You talk to much!

blues.gif

wink.gif

Back