• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echoes of Connie!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ June 11 2005,16:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ June 11 2005,16:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ June 11 2005,16:31)]Ron:

It's an old Greek proverb. Think about it ...
It's all Greek to me!

tounge.gif
I never learned that at my Greek classes.
Yeah but you can swear like a trooper in Greek!

tounge.gif

I noticed wiggy was very very quiet during the euphoria of promotion, now he is here circling the carcas of the contract minefield.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ June 11 2005,14:08)]I don't think we should really make any comments about ambition until we are two weeks away from the start of the season and have not signed anyone / everyone out of contract has left, etc. We should wait and see what Tilly's got up his sleeve when he gets back from holiday.

As for Dudfield, part of the reason he's reluctant to stay is probably his lack of first-team action this season
Spot on in my book, far too early for this sort of chat. Gotta give things time, and let Tilly bronze nicely first!

Do you all honestly believe we are going to get players in on poxy wages better than Dudfield, Smith and even Bramble. I"m not asking for the world, just a little ambition to keep us where we are. Not so long ago the crowd were desperate for Dudders to sign and Smith was picking up more M.O.M awards than Barratt has this season.

Exactly one year ago Wiggy you jumped on the same soapbox.

You firstly accused Ron Martin of an all-out drive to take the club down into the conference because he refused to let Constantine and Cort hold the club to ransom. You then accused all of us Shrimperzoners who didn't agree with you of being "muppets" because we couldn't see it (while you of course could).

We let Connie go, yet signed Eastwood and Gray (as stated above - 37 goals between them while Connie scored 10!!). We let Cort go yet brought in Bristol Rovers captain Adam Barrett, a strange move given your view of Ron Martin's motivations?

You said we were bound for the Conference while in fact, we ended up being promoted! Perhaps it's time to accept that you don't know everything and that other people's opinions on here aren't just rose-tinted. The world isn't black and white Wiggy. Try for once to keep an open mind?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ June 11 2005,20:07)]Exactly one year ago Wiggy you jumped on the same soapbox.

You firstly accused Ron Martin of an all-out drive to take the club down into the conference because he refused to let Constantine and Cort hold the club to ransom. You then accused all of us Shrimperzoners who didn't agree with you of being "muppets" because we couldn't see it (while you of course could).

We let Connie go, yet signed Eastwood and Gray (as stated above - 37 goals between them while Connie scored 10!!). We let Cort go yet brought in Bristol Rovers captain Adam Barrett, a strange move given your view of Ron Martin's motivations?

You said we were bound for the Conference while in fact, we ended up being promoted! Perhaps it's time to accept that you don't know everything and that other people's opinions on here aren't just rose-tinted. The world isn't black and white Wiggy. Try for once to keep an open mind?
Post of the year, South Bank Hank I applaud you.....

Awaiting Wiggy's response with baited breath.

I take wiggys point but i don't think we are offering poor contracts.

We are still massively in debt and lets look at the guys who have rejected so far:

Wilson, Nicolau, Dudfield and Smith.

Now apart from Smith i wouldn't mind if any of the others left.

But when Smith comes back he might not be the player he was, and if he gets injured again why should he be offered more money?
Unless another team comes in with a long term deal for Smith I can't see why he wouldn't sign a new contract.
Its a massive risk for us to even give him one at all. He hasn't played for years.

I don't know what targets the club has in mind for the summer but i would take it they include a left back, wingers and strikers.
If we get the targets the saved money on not upping squad players contracts will come in very useful, especially as none of the above players are tried and tested League One standard.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ June 11 2005,21:14)]Post of the year, South Bank Hank I applaud you.....

I second that emotion, Ron.

And just to $%&* off Wiggy even more, I'm off to the beach bar and will no doubt dip my toes in the Med a few times as well. And if that makes me see more sense than your good self Wiggy then so be it. I wouldn't have it any other way.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ June 11 2005,20:25)]Do you all honestly believe we are going to get players in on poxy wages better than Dudfield, Smith and even Bramble.
I hate to break it to you this way, Wiggy mate, but these players on "poxy wages" got us promoted at the end of a season that you were so convinced would sound the death knell for the club. Oh, how bloody wrong you were! And, to quote Mr Keegan ... "I bloody love it!!"

Spanner.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Post of the year, South Bank Hank I applaud you.....

Thank you Ron - it amazes me just how forgetful our Shrimperzone colleague can be.
I fear we may have to wait a while for a direct response to the points made though. Prove me wrong Wiggy (and get me back for all the times it's happened to you).

You can stick yer Med, rather be at The Hall next year watching the underpaid!

You missed all the other points Wiggy, or do you now know you've lost your argument?

No. You see I'm an easy target because he has no answer to the other sides of the argument. None at all. As always. Now you must really excuse me as I should really wander down to the beach bar for a caña or two. Shall I spill a tear or two into my cerveza that I won't be at Roots Hall next season? Well, who knows.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ June 11 2005,21:10)]No. You see I'm an easy target because he has no answer to the other sides of the argument. None at all. As always. Now you must really excuse me as I should really wander down to the beach bar for a caña or two. Shall I spill a tear or two into my cerveza that I won't be at Roots Hall next season? Well, who knows.
Wiggy

There was a very constructive and enlightening thread about the accounts a few days ago, I noticed at the time that a number of members had not posted on that thread including you, perhaps you would care to give your comments now , especially as this thread is related directly to expenditure.

I think Wiggy comes on here deliberately being the devil's advocate.

Im also sure he's disappointed we got promoted.

Yes we lose good players on free transfers, but look how lucky we were this season...

From Warren to Barrett

From Constantine to Eastwood.

An astonishing season and yet Wiggy is banging on before the new season starts...

To save you trawling through the whole thread Wiggy, here's this courtesy of Firestorm -

"Turn over 3,181,996

60% of Turnover 1,909,197
which equates to 36,175 per week

Now considering the transfer window/ suspensions/ injuries etc I would guess we would need a  squad of 22 which equates to an average of 1600 per week absolute Maximum with no flexibility what so ever.
In reality I can't see any club getting close to their cap in case they needed to get someone onboard quickly during the window or sign non contracted players outside of the window... "

To explain for the hard of thinkng (of which you appear to be one Wiggy) that means we have to budget to keep within the new Football League rules. These rules are to protect clubs from spending more than they earn and going bankrupt. As all of the clubs we will be competing against have to abide by these rules it means a level playing field and other clubs cannot just throw money at wages in the name of 'ambition'. So the likes of Wilson, Smith, Dudfield, Flahavan et al can ask for what they want - the reality is that clubs (ourselves included) won't neccesarily be able to pay it.

Back