• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ed quits

Sadly I feel that Community/ Society based politics has had its day.
Labour (and they Unions to a degree) epitomised the "All in this together" spirit bourne out of collective adversity suffered during the war.
The passing of time and the fading of memories, has lead to a far more altruistic society in which Labours ideals have become a threat to individuals rather than a assistance to masses.

Sadly I feel that Community/ Society based politics has had its day.
Labour (and they Unions to a degree) epitomised the "All in this together" spirit bourne out of collective adversity suffered during the war.
The passing of time and the fading of memories, has lead to a far more altruistic society in which Labours ideals have become a threat to individuals rather than a assistance to masses.

Since the 80's Gary this country has been false fed that winning and being such an asset to society is being rich.

Look at my Range Rover I am a great person

I'm strongly of the opinion that Miliband was never the man for the job. For a party representing the working class, he wouldn't have known what working class was if it struck him in the nuts. This is the man that told us he spent £70 a week on his shopping despite the average for a family of four being £100 per week, and described himself as 'relatively comfortably off' despite being a multi millionaire living in a £2m+ house. He's frighteningly out of touch with real life and how any working class voter is supposed to relate to him is beyond me. An unpopular view I'm sure, but Farage has a very 'man of the people' feel about him and I'm sure Labour would have fared far better had Farage (his controversial views aside) been at the helm.

Secondly, he's doesn't come across as a leader, definitely not a strong or inspiring one either. There's some difficult decisions to be made in the next few years in regards to the Scottish Nationalists surge and renegotiating our terms in Europe. Quite frankly, I think Miliband would have got bullied and pushed and pulled in every direction imagineable. I've always been more drawn to strong leaders and whilst I'm not saying Cameron is perfect, I've got more confidence in his ability to hold his own and preserve the UK's interests than I did with Ed. Don't agree with Sturgeon's agenda, but you can't fault her election campaign which has been impressive to say the very least. Shows what strong leadership and confidence can do for a party; something Labour lacked all along.

All the best to Ed as he clearly had his heart in the right place and believed in his cause, but stepping down was definitely the right choice for himself and his party.

Honestly ?
given the boundary changes and the constituency reduction planned by the conservatives are bound to have a greater impact on any opposition, and the general apathy shown by the British public to anything relating to social issues (as opposed to personal benefits) .
I cant see any party with a society based brief toppling on who panders to the individual wealth of a section of the population just significant enough to vote them in....

The boundary changes, as such, are likely to add around 20 more seats to the Tory total.

Obviously more equally sized constituencies and a reduction in total from the current number of 650 MP's to 600 will have an even more dramatic impact.

Let's wait and see who Labour's new leader is and what the effect of five years more of Tory austerity ie cuts is too.

The next two years and the referendum debate will be divisive enough to begin with.

The SNP/Scotland issue will also stay on the agenda throughout Cameron's sesond term,especially with Scottish elections coming up in 2016.

Last edited:
The boundaries have been in Labour's favour for years, all this will do is even it up a little. The only way to make it a fair fight in the future is, and it pains me to say it, is PR in some form. Pundits today have been saying that UKIP's share of the vote(12%ish) would have produced between 70-80 seats. I'm not saying that would have been a good thing but if people are to be evenly represented then perhaps it's the way forward. Without making it mandatory to vote it might be the only way to get people more involved or, at the very least, out to the polling stations if they believe their vote will count for something. Frankly, a 64/65% national turnout is rubbish and portrays just what the British public really thinks of politics. It needs to change.

Could not agree more. For me there was very little analysis of policy and too much about helicopters, bacon sandwiches and the right dress and shoes. The reality is you need to sway a very small number in marginal seats and usually these people are not the most sophisticated.

All that was missing was HEAT or HELLO campaigns, or did they have those too ?

Honestly ?
given the boundary changes and the constituency reduction planned by the conservatives are bound to have a greater impact on any opposition, and the general apathy shown by the British public to anything relating to social issues (as opposed to personal benefits) .
I cant see any party with a society based brief toppling on who panders to the individual wealth of a section of the population just significant enough to vote them in....

Parties have been in the wilderness before and recovered. The Tories post Maggie were in an awful mess. I see Labour taking a couple of years to re-invent themselves. They did it in 97. They will do it again but we are no longer a 2 party nation and I think that is healthy.

I recognise social inequality which was the one value that I liked in Labour as a policy. However you cannot have it two ways. Firstly lead by example Labour, not something we have seen post Blair. Secondly get over this human rights bull **** of ID cards. If everyone had an ID and it was fully joined up to Tax, NHS and benefits the money saved in fraud would more than compensate for some redistribution of wealth. Here in HK nothing happens without an ID card and not one person, including those vocally and physically demonstrating last year about the 2017 elections here (where China is providing the candidates) complains. I repeat, of the thousands protesting in the streets for many weeks and months, NOT ONE has complained about ID cards.

Finally much as I like people on a personal level democracy has spoken. Get over it ! Mine's a Guinness, my tax is minimal. I have hit rock bottom a couple of times in my life and career. I wouldn't say it is now spectacular, especially given I'm pretty much in 6 days a week at the moment as per now. But it ain't bad !

I'm strongly of the opinion that Miliband was never the man for the job. For a party representing the working class, he wouldn't have known what working class was if it struck him in the nuts. This is the man that told us he spent £70 a week on his shopping despite the average for a family of four being £100 per week, and described himself as 'relatively comfortably off' despite being a multi millionaire living in a £2m+ house. He's frighteningly out of touch with real life and how any working class voter is supposed to relate to him is beyond me. An unpopular view I'm sure, but Farage has a very 'man of the people' feel about him and I'm sure Labour would have fared far better had Farage (his controversial views aside) been at the helm.

I get all that about Miliband, but Farage is a public school educated, former city trader who received over £2m from the EU yet still called himself poor.

I get all that about Miliband, but Farage is a public school educated, former city trader who received over £2m from the EU yet still called himself poor.

Difficult to find an MP worth his salt who isn't from a privileged background, but Farage and his working class, man at the pub image appears to have struck more of a chord with people than Miliband. I still stand by it, if Farage held Labour views and was at the helm, Labour would have performed far better. They need a leader who will appeal to their electorate and Miliband was never that person.

The man of the working class has decided to have 4 weeks in the sun,wonder how many of the working class could afford 4 week holiday.

Back