• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Emile Acquah

Scored his 9th league goal of the season today to deprive Bromley of 2 points and let us back into the playoffs.
Shows he still loves Southend United . Just hope he has a quiet game on tuesday night to show us even more love .

Funny that’s the first thing that comes in your head 😂 mind you there’s been a few that have come back to haunt us.
It’s normally the case, players who have under performed or not been fans favourites end up coming back and scoring.

It’s normally the case, players who have under performed or not been fans favourites end up coming back and scoring.
Well he’s scoring one in every three this season and we play them twice so it would hardly be a surprise.

Also all but one of his goals have come against top 10 sides.

It confirms that Alan Devonshire does a good job, he has done well to get more out of Emile Acqua than MM did.
To be fair to MM Acquah only scored 2 goals last season as well, so whilst he is now doing well it's not like he left us and immediately became a proven goalscorer, it seems like something's clicked for him this year.

He was 20 when he played in our relegation season and his only prior experience was a loan spell at a 7th tier club (ignoring a single appearance in NL before Covid cut his loan short). In a normal season no manager would have been playing him anywhere as much as MM did (he likely would have been sent on loan instead) but a lack of options meant Acquah was thrown into the deep end before he was ready, and then was unfairly scapegoated for it by some parts of the fanbase.

To be fair to MM Acquah only scored 2 goals last season as well, so whilst he is now doing well it's not like he left us and immediately became a proven goalscorer, it seems like something's clicked for him this year.

He was 20 when he played in our relegation season and his only prior experience was a loan spell at a 7th tier club (ignoring a single appearance in NL before Covid cut his loan short). In a normal season no manager would have been playing him anywhere as much as MM did (he likely would have been sent on loan instead) but a lack of options meant Acquah was thrown into the deep end before he was ready, and then was unfairly scapegoated for it by some parts of the fanbase.
If he didn’t jog about on the pitch, like a 38 year old forward who is carrying an injury, he wouldn’t got slated. He was 20, he could put in a shift, closing down opponents defenders and let them know that he is right into their face.

If he didn’t jog about on the pitch, like a 38 year old forward who is carrying an injury, he wouldn’t got slated. He was 20, he could put in a shift, closing down opponents defenders and let them know that he is right into their face.
Some of the best strikers in the world don't do that, Messi for example once played an El Classico match where he walked for 83% of the match, he scored and assisted in that game. Running at defenders might make fans happy but players are often told not to do that by their managers.

If there's a bad clearance you want your strikers in plenty of space to receive the ball, you don't want them out of position standing next to a defender because they tried and failed to close someone down, especially someone like Acquah who isn't particularly quick and so can't get back into position after trying to close someone down.

Emile did exactly that away at Gillingham and was harshly sent off and then roundly abused for being a stupid young man and letting everyone down…..

I do find it quite amazing that more people aren’t looking back to the league 1 and league 2 days with a little more context and objectivity in relation to much of the abuse leveled at what were some very very young players…..teenagers in most cases…..while some very very senior pros were let off the hook a little.

Of course there were loads that understood at the time and always tried to be objective about it but I will always be completely stunned by some of the ignorance that was on show by a minority.

He played like a Southend Utd forward under MM, thankfully last night! If he put more efforts, we could be under the cosh, any wonder the balls keep coming straight back to Maidenhead back 4.

Good lad, scores the winner v Dagenham.

Think that’s now his 10th of the season.
Rumour I hear is that EFL clubs are in for Emile. I think he’s recently turned down another National league side who approached Maidenhead with an offer to buy.

I saw him play earlier in the season and he was a constant threat and suited how Maidenhead play to a tee. I think his thinking is to sit it out there until the summer and find his way back into league 2.

Rumour I hear is that EFL clubs are in for Emile. I think he’s recently turned down another National league side who approached Maidenhead with an offer to buy.

I saw him play earlier in the season and he was a constant threat and suited how Maidenhead play to a tee. I think his thinking is to sit it out there until the summer and find his way back into league 2.
Last season he didn’t look great when he played against us. He must have really knuckled down and something has clicked.

Good luck to the lad, I wish him all the best. It just didn’t work out here for him and unfortunately he became the boo thems target.

Back