• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England 1-2 Netherlands

Passion doesn't necessarily mean you're good though! I was never a fan of Gerrard's.

I was disappointed in the team selection last night, I thought the inclusion of Sturridge was wrong, can't abide Milner and it scares the life out of me that the defence centres around Chris Smalling. We used to be known for producing a series of quality, hard nosed central defenders, not sure where it's all gone wrong.

Chris Smalling has had an outstanding season. The problem isn't Smalling, it's the other 3 defensive positions. Stones has the potential to be world class.

Sturridge has come back and scored goals for Liverpool so he deserved a look. I think his inclusion relies on how well he does in the next few weeks.

Passion doesn't necessarily mean you're good though! I was never a fan of Gerrard's.

I was disappointed in the team selection last night, I thought the inclusion of Sturridge was wrong, can't abide Milner and it scares the life out of me that the defence centres around Chris Smalling. We used to be known for producing a series of quality, hard nosed central defenders, not sure where it's all gone wrong.

Yep agreed,

Gerrard was overrated,good club player but rarely did it for England.

Smalling at International level is an accident waiting to happen.

Sturridge is lucky lucky lucky,how Roy selected him is madness personified.

Milner ok at club level,but if the target at the Euros is SF or better,then not for me.

A few quotes about Gerrard from people who know what they're talking about:

"He is the greatest captain the club has ever had – it’s as simple as that." Emre Can

He’s a fantastic statesman; he has been unbelievably successful with this football club with what he’s done, the amount of games he has pulled out the mire, and the general way he conducts himself." Kenny Dalglish

"He has become the most influential player in England, bar none. Not that Vieira lacks anything, but Gerrard does more." Alex Ferguson

"I am a huge fan of Steven Gerrard, He has the heart of a lion. He is a player I would like to have in my team." Kaka

"He is without doubt the greatest player I have ever played with, he has everything. At Liverpool, he is irreplaceable." Fernando Torres

"Steven Gerrard would be the captain of my World XI dream team." Francesco Totti

You can quote what you like to me about Gerrard, I never rated him, he wasn't fit to lace Frank Lampard's boots in my opinion, Lamps should have been the lynchpin of that midfield.

47 goals in 81 games for the Bin Dippers. A goal every other game in competitive football for England. He's hardly a bum.

True but too many injury problems,add Rooney and Welbeck,we have potentially 3 sick notes in the squad !

Who had more passion for England (and more ability) than anyone in England's current midfield.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

ps Where were you after the Germany win?

FWIW I'd probably go

Hart
Walker(?) Smalling Stones(?) Rose(?)
Dier
Alli Henderson(?)
Welbeck Rooney
Kane

I may be in a minority but I'd use Vardy's pace off the bench when the game is opening up.

I can totally understand Hodgson playing other players,he said he would .
Its sad that we could not beat the WORST Dutch team,at home,for over 30 years..
Why we could play so well v Germany,but so poor v the Dutch...we seemed so slow,not pressing as we did in Germany...and what ,IMO,was even worse ,no matter how Hodgson tried to change things-players,it never worked.Think the ref could have added 15 more extra minutes and we would not have had a shot on goal,let alone scored.
Do hope im wrong,sure i am !!!!but that game looked like how we started the build up to the last world cup and how we played in Brazil.
I know some people thought we were good in Brazil,but only a few...the Germans all said-wrote we were awful...and when Hodgson suppose to have said...something like(i never heard it)...we were nearly like the German team....they thought he was a better comedian than a trainer.
Lets hope he picks and keeps (most of) his team now playing,getting ready for France

You can quote what you like to me about Gerrard, I never rated him, he wasn't fit to lace Frank Lampard's boots in my opinion, Lamps should have been the lynchpin of that midfield.

Gerrard was a great player, always gave his all, as did Frank - how you can say Gerrard was not fit to lace his boots is ridiculous

if you want overrated then I nominate Beckham...

cue backlash :smile:

More players with over 50 caps who some could claim are over-rated (ps Stanley Matthews only had 54 caps, the same as Glen Johnson)

Phil Neville 59
Gareth Southgate 57
Jermain Defoe 55
David James 53
Gareth Barry 53

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

ps Where were you after the Germany win?

As I said on the appropriate thread, I was watching the match in Cebazan with a housefull of Froggs over Easter.

My cousin-in-law and I were both impressed by England's performance.

However, the Euros proper don't start for another 6 weeks.

It was just a friendly.

In any case the match against the Dutch was rather more typical of what,I suspect, we're likely to see from England in France.

Key difference for me was that Germany v England was very much a high tempo game.It wasn't against the Dutch and is unlikely to be until the knock out stages in France.

More players with over 50 caps who some could claim are over-rated (ps Stanley Matthews only had 54 caps, the same as Glen Johnson)

Phil Neville 59
Gareth Southgate 57
Jermain Defoe 55
David James 53
Gareth Barry 53

Southgate and Defoe were good. The others are fair shouts though.

As I said on the appropriate thread, I was watching the match in Cebazan with a housefull of Froggs over Easter.

My cousin-in-law and I were both impressed by England's performance.

However, the Euros proper don't start for another 6 weeks.

It was just a friendly.

In any case the match against the Dutch was rather more typical of what,I suspect, we're likely to see from England in France.

Key difference for me was that Germany v England was very much a high tempo game.It wasn't against the Dutch and is unlikely to be until the knock out stages in France.

It was just a friendly.

That's the point I'm making. Your view doesn't count for much. I'd rather listen to people that know what they're talking about.

However, I defend your right to an opinion, however misguided it is.

Back