• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Never let it be said that England's footballers are selfish divas, unwilling to lift a finger to help others. In Amsterdam, in front of 50,000 witnesses, these much-maligned millionaires generously donated two goals to their Dutch opponents, an act of charity that they'd prefer went entirely unpublicised. Fat chance.

Ability has never been England's problem, but hubris has been strangling her for decades. John Terry told journalists before this match that England could win the World Cup, but some of his team-mates seemed to take his optimism as a signal to relax. Rio Ferdinand's insane pass across the penalty area to Dirk Kuyt was the act of a man sleepwalking his way through a game, an unforgivable clanger given that he had done exactly the same thing only moments earlier. As if his foul-up didn't stink the Amsterdam Arena out enough, Gareth Barry then doubled the Dutch lead by laying on a perfect ball for Arjen Robben whose blocked shot was slammed home on the rebound by Rafael van der Vaart. Ferdinand and Barry are both top class footballers, but you don't win World Cups by going through the motions, even in pre-season friendlies. England are good, but they're not that good.

Fabio Capello, on the other hand, is that good. The Italian remains England's strongest asset and he proved it once again with three substitutions to change the game. First on the scene was Jermain Defoe who stabbed home an elegant equaliser with one of his patented no-backlift finishes after being put clear by Frank Lampard. Then Carlton Cole arrived to put a more intimidating edge on his predecessor Emile Heskey's aerial efforts. Finally, James Milner materialised for his debut to open up the left flank. The three newcomers combined to force an equaliser that had looked highly unlikely before the break and, with more luck, they could even have stolen a victory.

Few would have blamed Capello had he decided to throw teacups around the dressing room at half-time, but the fiery boss decided instead to calm things down. In truth, there wasn't an awful lot that needed changing, bar the obvious sacrifice of the terminally stupid. Since the Italian's arrival, England have learned that passing the ball to each other is often far more profitable than tonking it high into the night sky at every opportunity. With possession, they can dictate the terms of a game instead of chasing around like children, as they did under Steve McClaren. There was a time when England's clashes against the Dutch were a case of Beauty and the Beast, style usually triumphing over steel. Not anymore. The English can now match anyone for technique and talent. But that's still not enough to legitimise fantasies of World Cup glory.

Arrogant, over-confident teams do not win World Cups. England, and Brazil for that matter, discovered this in 2006. To win a World Cup takes a lot of luck, good form, an absence of critical injuries and some benevolent refereeing, but even with all of that, you still have to actually be awake during the games. Did I say there was nothing that could be learned from a pre-season friendly international? I radically underestimated England's deficiencies

I think it's rather tired and simplistic to say that England were a long ball team before Capello arrived. It really grates on me when journos use the old cliches of European 'total football' compared to English 'kick and rush'. Under Robson, Venables, Hoddle and even Sven, English teams have been able to devastate their supposedly more cultured continental opponents on occasion by passing them off the park (Holland in 96 and Germany in 01 are the obvious examples, but there are others).

I don't think hubris and overconfidence are our problems. Would you prefer to hear Terry stating that he doesn't believe we'll win? We have to approach the tournament with a view to beating everybody, not relying on a dodgy decision and a lucky bounce. England were by no mean magnificent last night, but we got a point against supposedly one of the European powerhouses whilst missing key players and gifting them two goals. If you ask me, England really are that good.

Rusty, did you watch us under McClaren? It was awful. We weren't much better under Robson, see Euro88, or Taylor. With Venables and Hoddle, we were far better, but that's a period of about four years against the last 40. England have rarely been the purists choice.

As for Terry, I've been very careful not to castigate him for saying what he is pretty much contractually obliged to say. It's more the way his team-mates reacted to his confidence that bugs me.

It's all a bit silly, that question. Can you win the World Cup? Of course you can. North Korea can win the World Cup. Work hard, play well, get the rub of the green. I really don't know why they keep asking it.

Rusty, did you watch us under McClaren? It was awful. We weren't much better under Robson, see Euro88, or Taylor. With Venables and Hoddle, we were far better, but that's a period of about four years against the last 40. England have rarely been the purists choice.

As for Terry, I've been very careful not to castigate him for saying what he is pretty much contractually obliged to say. It's more the way his team-mates reacted to his confidence that bugs me.

It's all a bit silly, that question. Can you win the World Cup? Of course you can. North Korea can win the World Cup. Work hard, play well, get the rub of the green. I really don't know why they keep asking it.

I watched us under McLaren, yes, and we were awful. Argentina are currently awful under Maradona, but that doesn't make them historically crap.

And who are the purists' choice? There isn't one team on Earth that has been swashbucklingly brilliant over the last forty years. All of the top teams have had their moments of brilliance, their moments of mediocrity and their moments of utter dross. We need to stop casting ourselves as the poor relations here - we've been there or thereabouts as often as most of our contemporaries and when the vaunted Spaniards, Dutch and Portuguese have one World Cup in their collective cabinet, they can get back to me.

Thought the first half yesterday was poor with a lack of communication between the back four and sloppy defending costing us. Hopefully Capello had a good rant at them and it seems to have bucked their ideas up. Jermaine Defoe has to be a certainty to go South Africa.

We've no chance of winning the World Cup unless an international class 'keeper turns up between now and next June.

We've no chance of winning the World Cup unless an international class 'keeper turns up between now and next June.

Even if we had an international class keeper, that Scottish **** Fergie wouldn't play him and would then withdraw him from the England line-up as soon as he had a sniff of first team action at Man Ure.

Talking of withdrawals, that complete and utter **** Gerrard withdrew again.

He can **** right off. If Becks can travel over the Atlantic, surely Stevie G can take a bit of time out of beating up innocent DJs who don't want to play the Beatles to actually play for England? With a bit of luck, he might even play as if he cared about the three lions.

Back