• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England vs Uruguay

Gerrard at fault for both Uruguay goals - adding to his costly mistake more-or-less costing Liverpool the Premier League title - yet not one of hsi media buddies calls him out for it. Astonishing!

Add to that I blame the jinx of ITV and those silly middle-aged men in the crowd dressed as Crusaders at England games..

This site never ceases to amaze me.

Nothing like an over reaction. We narrowly lost to the number four team in the world, after dominating for the majority of the game, becasue they had a world class striker, the no.3 player in the world up front. And you give the team 4's and 5's. Good work.

Jesus Christ monkey balls. I honestly thought I'd seen the worst of your hyperbole. But you've really excelled yourself here. Roy has brought in the younger players, set up a system that allows us to attack, and play more attractive football than we have in probably two decades of football. He narrowly loses out to two teams in the top ten ranked teams in the World. and they were narrow defeats. And we're back in the dark ages - have you forgotten the reigns of Taylor ('94) and Mcclaren (08) when we didn't even qualify?. He's clueless and inept? This from the woman who wants to revert back to 4-4-2.

And then when it couldn't get any worse? Harry Redknapp. Some people truly do want the world to burn.

You have not got a clue.

Last 8 games Roy has lost 4,We were the worst team in the tournament even Australia would have torn us a new one.
You know nothing.

You have not got a clue.

Last 8 games Roy has lost 4,We were the worst team in the tournament even Australia would have torn us a new one.
You know nothing.

How are we the worst team in the tournament? Other teams have lost by 3 goals or more in games also with nil points, we lost two close games. Spain did worse than we have. We have been extremely disappointing but lets keep some perspective.

We were average in the first half, looked very wobbly beginning of second but after that were the better team.

We created more chances and the difference last night was the quality of the finishing, they finished two chances well and we wasted a hatfull.

Not a big Hodgson fan but not really sure what else he could have done last night.

Not been Gerrards year. Handed the title on a plate to Man City when he slipped over at Anfield and now had a shocker to ensure he'll never amount to an England great. As much as I dislike Lampard, maybe he would of been more effective.

As for Hodgson, disagreed with his appointment at the time and now feel fully vindicated.

I never wanted Hodgson but he has surprised me in some things. The players he has brought in and the way he has given a chance to youngsters etc has been very good.

Everyone complains about us sticking with the "old guard" and someone even tweeted last night that for the last game we should get rid of those players and bring in new players. Er havent we already done that ?

Then there are all the people saying how we should have played Terry and Cole, ie bringing back the really old guard.

Results wise Hodgson clearly hasnt delivered and still not showing he is the right man for the job, but selection wise I thought he did well. Maybe he isn't the man to get them playing though.

I have been trying to think of any Scousers who have played consistently well for England over the years - this is actual Liverpool born players rather than those who have played for Liverpool/Everton - and I am struggling. So far I have come up with Phil Thompson....... and that is it.

We didn't play as well as we did against Italy but again it was little things and little mistakes that make the big difference. Rooney's header against the bar, Gerrard heading it onto Suarez, Godin not being sent off as he should've done in the 1st half. I thought Sturridge had half a shout for a penalty too.

Barney Ronay in the Guardian (I'm not one to normally share Guardian content) summed up the match very well - "In the end the team with the better defence, more organised midfield and better strikers won the game thanks to two well-taken goals". Suarez is in my opinion the best striker in the world at the moment and proved it, and also proved Hodgson wrong who stupidly said the other day that he hadn't proved himself as world-class. Cavani was also good alongside him and caused us problems, the cross for the first goal was just perfect. Our defence, apart from Cahill who defended manfully, were poor. I'm not convinced that Jagielka is an international defender and I think we should look to developing younger centre-backs like Caulker and Stones looking ahead to Euro 2016. Sterling was anonymous compared to Saturday and Uruguay obviously targeted him. Sturridge and Welbeck had moments and I thought Henderson and Rooney played fairly well. Again the subs made little impact. Gerrard looked uncomfortable again and while I feel a bit sorry for him because he's a good man and a great player, I think it's time for him to be dropped. We created chances and had a good spell in the second half when we equalised but we didn't take them and that costs you at the highest level.

Sacking Hodgson is not the answer. He's a good coach with immense international experience, and sadly there are no better English candidates at the moment (7/20 Premier League clubs managed by Englishmen). Despite two defeats we've played better than we have at recent World Cups, and we have some talented young players who are going to improve. I think we need to focus now on developing and gelling these youngsters into a regular team that can mount a serious challenge on Euro 2016.

And remember, there's still a chance we could qualify! Italy should beat Costa Rica, whether they beat Uruguay is another question. Viva Italia!

I have been trying to think of any Scousers who have played consistently well for England over the years - this is actual Liverpool born players rather than those who have played for Liverpool/Everton - and I am struggling. So far I have come up with Phil Thompson....... and that is it.

You know what they say. Scouse not English. They're normally the ones who don't sing the national anthem too.

You have not got a clue.

You know nothing.

I am interested to know what your master plan would have been?

Come 7 o clock Tuesday night we will all know that miracles do happen .

Going on just Liverpool players (rather than scousers) Michael Owen had a reasonable international career.

I liked Rob Jones but he got injured and barely played.

James
Carragher Ruddock Scales
McManaman Gerrard (c) Redknapp Murphy Barnes
Fowler Heskey

:'(:'(:'(

As much as it pains me to say Stanley should probably be in that team as well.

Going on just Liverpool players (rather than scousers) Michael Owen had a reasonable international career.

James
Carragher Ruddock Scales
Fowler Heskey

Decent side , but a severe lack of pace at the back worries me............:omg:

James
Carragher Ruddock Scales
Fowler Heskey

A team of actual Scousers:

Joe Corrigan

Chris Lawler
Jamie Carragher
Phil Thompson
Leighton Baines

Steve McManaman
Peter Reid
Idolised by TV pundit Shallow foreheaded Liability
Ian Callaghan

Wayne Rooney
Robbie Fowler

Last edited:
Roy has become the first England manager in history to lose the first two WC games.

Last night we were a complete shambles and Roy has been in charge for 2 bloody years!

How anybody can defend Roy is beyond me BUT I cannot blame Roy or even Gerrard!

I blame the FA as they gave him the job and Roy in turn selected Gerrard!

Talksport last night had Stan firing from the hip stating he was invited by Greg Dyke to offer ways forward,Stan said he put forward ideas running into the 10s yet Dyke could only come up with the stupid B team idea..Sums it all up.The callers were in one voice saying Gerrard's legs have long gone and Roy must quit.

Roy has become the first England manager in history to lose the first two WC games.

Last night we were a complete shambles and Roy has been in charge for 2 bloody years!

How anybody can defend Roy is beyond me BUT I cannot blame Roy or even Gerrard!

I blame the FA as they gave him the job and Roy in turn selected Gerrard!

Talksport last night had Stan firing from the hip stating he was invited by Greg Dyke to offer ways forward,Stan said he put forward ideas running into the 10s yet Dyke could only come up with the stupid B team idea..Sums it all up.The callers were in one voice saying Gerrard's legs have long gone and Roy must quit.

And there endeth your argument......

mrsblue - I am still curious to know what you would have done differently? Would you have selected different players? A different formation?

Back