• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England vs Uruguay

They werent holding midfielders though, they hardly put in a tackle! We dont have type of tenacious tackler who can break up play. All the midfielders are of a similar ilk- Wilshere, Gerrard, Lampard, Llalana, Henderson.

England's performances, though hardly inspiring, have been better than the debacle in South Africa.

I'd prefer some English players going and plying their trade abroad rather than reducing the number of foreign players here. They might learn to keep the ball a bit better.

Why the hell would Rodgers want to be Redknapps assistant ?

1) Is much more tactically astute so what is the point in him being patronised by saying 'he can have the job when he has learned from the master' ?

2) He has only just started to blend his own club side into a team which should challenge at the top of the PL next season.

3) He is from N.Ireland , so doubt he gives a toss about Engalnd

Take your pick from any of the above or feel free to come back with some inane twaddle as usual.......

Rodgers can take the part time role whilst remaining at Liverpool,His remit would be coaching.He is Irish yet your point is nonsense as England have had an Italian and Swede in the hot seat.

You say it's twaddle yet you offer virtually nothing anywhere on this forum.

1/Sack the blazers at the FA and replace with football people male and female!
2/Restrict the foreign players to maximum of 6 per team in the prem and the championship
3/Beg Harry to take the job and bring in Rodgers as his assistant to eventually take the job

2. How are you going to change the law?

3. Why would Northern Irishman Brendan Rodgers want to give up the Liverpool job to take the England job?

They werent holding midfielders though, they hardly put in a tackle! We dont have type of tenacious tackler who can break up play. All the midfielders are of a similar ilk- Wilshere, Gerrard, Lampard, Llalana, Henderson.

The lack of tackling around the pitch was alarming yet as you say the holding players never put their foot in,I play in that role and I put more into 1 game than most of those guys did in their 2 games.

I'm sure Italy v Uruguay be manufactured to end in a draw. The only good thing will be that we'll never see Gerrard in an England shirt again.

Not necessarily MK. Uruguay will only have 4 points and they can't be certain Costa Rica wont beat us so they will have to go for the win.

Trouble being we need Italy to win, and after (assuming) they beat Costa Rica today they will be through and will probably pick their second XI to face Uruguay.

But then they may forfeit winning the group and have a tougher route to the final.....

Rodgers can take the part time role whilst remaining at Liverpool,His remit would be coaching.He is Irish yet your point is nonsense as England have had an Italian and Swede in the hot seat.

Why do we need them?

Let's just put you in charge, you know more than anybody else after all.

But then they may forfeit winning the group and have a tougher route to the final.....
Good point, have some green

Edit - need to spread rep which means I must have given you green recently. How times change eh?

Not necessarily MK. Uruguay will only have 4 points and they can't be certain Costa Rica wont beat us so they will have to go for the win.

Very good point well made. Have some green.

Trouble being we need Italy to win, and after (assuming) they beat Costa Rica today they will be through and will probably pick their second XI to face Uruguay.

To clarify, this mean we are still going to win the World Cup?

:happy::happy::happy:

C C Csiders said:
They are not guaranteed to be through if they win tonight. If they lost to Uruguay, and Costa Rica beat us it would come down to GD as all 3 sides would have 6 points. Admittedly, if they win tonight they only need a draw on Tuesday, but they can't afford to rest the whole team.

I actually have no affinity for the England team, don't give a monkeys if they win or not, and am really not interested.....however, I understand England are now 5-1 to qualify for the next round....surely this is good value? essentially we need 3 results to go our way
Italy to beat Costa Rica
Italy to beat Uruguay
England to beat Costa Rica
(with GD only needing to move by +/-1 to catch Costa Rica)

. I appreciate the point that Italy may not go wild man against Uruguay if they've already beaten Costa Rica, but still you wouldn't get 5/1 on the combined match odds for those 3 games...maybe 1/5 Italy v CR. 1/4 England v CR and a shade over evens if you're lucky on Italy v Uruguay).

I'm not saying it's a certainty, but Top tip from an independent point of view....lump on England to qualify.

Good point, have some green

Edit - need to spread rep which means I must have given you green recently. How times change eh?

It could have been red! :winking:

I actually have no affinity for the England team, don't give a monkeys if they win or not, and am really not interested.....however, I understand England are now 5-1 to qualify for the next round....surely this is good value? essentially we need 3 results to go our way
Italy to beat Costa Rica
Italy to beat Uruguay
England to beat Costa Rica
(with GD only needing to move by +/-1 to catch Costa Rica)

. I appreciate the point that Italy may not go wild man against Uruguay if they've already beaten Costa Rica, but still you wouldn't get 5/1 on the combined match odds for those 3 games...maybe 1/5 Italy v CR. 1/4 England v CR and a shade over evens if you're lucky on Italy v Uruguay).

I'm not saying it's a certainty, but Top tip from an independent point of view....lump on England to qualify.

5-1 seems pretty poor value for me.

However, if the next results are all decided by the number of world cup wins each country has, then England go through.

Tonight Italy 4 Costa Rica 0
Tuesday(?) Italy 4 Uruguay 2 and England 1 Costa Rica 0

Italy 9 pts
England 3 pts -1 GD
Uruguay 3 pts -3 GD
Costa Rica 3 pts - -3 GD

It could have been red! :winking:

5-1 seems pretty poor value for me.

However, if the next results are all decided by the number of world cup wins each country has, then England go through.

Tonight Italy 4 Costa Rica 0
Tuesday(?) Italy 4 Uruguay 2 and England 1 Costa Rica 0

Italy 9 pts
England 3 pts -1 GD
Uruguay 3 pts -3 GD
Costa Rica 3 pts - -3 GD

Mathematician just said the chance is 3% to qualify,I think that is generous !

But you never know?

Woke up after Italy game and i was gutted. We played well enough to get a point. Last night just woeful, simply not good enough and i don't know if i can be bothered to wait at work and watch the Costa Rica game even if we've got a chance of qualifying.

I am sorry.
I will try to improve.
Any advice ?

Back