• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England vs Uruguay

Roy has become the first England manager in history to lose the first two WC games.

Last night we were a complete shambles and Roy has been in charge for 2 bloody years!

How anybody can defend Roy is beyond me BUT I cannot blame Roy or even Gerrard!

I blame the FA as they gave him the job and Roy in turn selected Gerrard!

Talksport last night had Stan firing from the hip stating he was invited by Greg Dyke to offer ways forward,Stan said he put forward ideas running into the 10s yet Dyke could only come up with the stupid B team idea..Sums it all up.The callers were in one voice saying Gerrard's legs have long gone and Roy must quit.

How were we a shambles?

Agree Gerrard made two mistakes in the centre of the pitch? But why the constant attack on Gerrard, you did this thoughout the qualifiers too, it's like a two man vendetta with Hodgson and Gerrard with you. Why haven't you picked up on the fact that neither centre half was able to interecpt the ball travelling from the centre of the pitch to the goal? You should be able to make a mistake in the centre of the pitch, safe in the knowledge that you have two capable centre halves to cover you. The second goal, Suarez was in acres of space, he's their most dangerous player, if he's marked no-one gives a hoot about Gerrard's header.

And the Roy must quit thing is pathetic, the fact the only person you can suggest to replace him is Harry Redknapp speaks volumes about your opinion on Hodgson. Redknapp spent last year in the Championship despite having one of the biggest budgets in European football, the same budget he was relegated with. He still only managed to scrape up through the play offs. he isololates players, constantly buys and picks players on one last pay day at the end of their careers. We'd see a return of the old guard with the youngsters getting little chance. You want a manager completely at odds with what you call for (play the kids) to replace a manager that is improving the team and playing the kids that you clamour for.

Where would people like to see us improve position wise?

Hart
Flannagan - Cahill - Stones - Shaw
Henderson - Wilshere
Sterling - Barkley - Rooney
Sturridge

Opinions? Would it work? Who would you pick and what position/formation?

FYI, I don't really have a great knowledge when it comes to these players as I don't watch them enough to state what their best position is but based on what I've seen, I could see this being our squad for the Euro 2016 qualifiers.

Side note: Sacking Roy? Have a laugh.

I think Gerrard was still recovering from his slip that cost Liverpool the title. Roy has all the failings of past managers- picking his favourites over form players, too conservative, predictable subs, and putting his foot in his mouth by saying Suarez wasn't world class before the match. How to motivate an opponent!

Hart
Henderson - Wilshere
Sturridge

FYI, I don't really have a great knowledge when it comes to these players as I don't watch them enough to state what their best position is but based on what I've seen, I could see this being our squad for the Euro 2016 qualifiers.

Oxlade-Chamberlain starts for me on the left all day long. Barkley is going to have to wait or knock Rooney out the team.
The future of Central Midfield is worrying no-one coming through. Henderson and Wilshere not good enough but suppose they have got time to improve.

I'd like the see this team play in the qualifiers and grow as a team but it will be the same old **** starting at the back.

I think Gerrard was still recovering from his slip that cost Liverpool the title. Roy has all the failings of past managers- picking his favourites over form players, too conservative, predictable subs, and putting his foot in his mouth by saying Suarez wasn't world class before the match. How to motivate an opponent!

Agree,

Roy got the England job over Redknapp at the time because he is a 'Yes man'

I think it should of been Redknapp to get the job

mrsblue - I am still curious to know what you would have done differently? Would you have selected different players? A different formation?

1/Sack the blazers at the FA and replace with football people male and female!
2/Restrict the foreign players to maximum of 6 per team in the prem and the championship
3/Beg Harry to take the job and bring in Rodgers as his assistant to eventually take the job

How is that the case?

Playing the likes of Sterling and then putting on Llanana and Barkley is hardy too conservative.

Oxlade-Chamberlain starts for me on the left all day long. Barkley is going to have to wait or knock Rooney out the team.
The future of Central Midfield is worrying no-one coming through. Henderson and Wilshere not good enough but suppose they have got time to improve.

I'd like the see this team play in the qualifiers and grow as a team but it will be the same old **** starting at the back.

Forgot about The Ox. Yes would have him in and around but for who I don't know. On the left, yes Ox plays, but does Rooney get dropped?

The problem is and will be for some time the FA and the wider picture. Weve had some good managers on paper who have not done the business. You can only work with what you have at your disposal. Why do Germany have 5 or 6 time as many Uefa qualified coaches than us? Why can a country of 3 million people produce a player like Suarez yet we cannot? How can players of such limited ability like Wellbeck, Jagielka, Baines be the best we have? Its been the same for nigh on 20 years. The Premier League is partly to blame but cant be wholly blamed. Not enough England players go abroad to further their development, youngsters are pushed too early with huge contracts and not enough tournament football in the U-21s.

Moving on, I would look to bring in a younger coach, and pick only players under 30. The old guard have performed badly in this tournament. Shaw, Barclay, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sturridge and Cahill should perform the backbone for the next tournament.

We didn't play as well as we did against Italy but again it was little things and little mistakes that make the big difference. Rooney's header against the bar, Gerrard heading it onto Suarez, Godin not being sent off as he should've done in the 1st half. I thought Sturridge had half a shout for a penalty too.

Barney Ronay in the Guardian (I'm not one to normally share Guardian content) summed up the match very well - "In the end the team with the better defence, more organised midfield and better strikers won the game thanks to two well-taken goals". Suarez is in my opinion the best striker in the world at the moment and proved it, and also proved Hodgson wrong who stupidly said the other day that he hadn't proved himself as world-class. Cavani was also good alongside him and caused us problems, the cross for the first goal was just perfect. Our defence, apart from Cahill who defended manfully, were poor. I'm not convinced that Jagielka is an international defender and I think we should look to developing younger centre-backs like Caulker and Stones looking ahead to Euro 2016. Sterling was anonymous compared to Saturday and Uruguay obviously targeted him. Sturridge and Welbeck had moments and I thought Henderson and Rooney played fairly well. Again the subs made little impact. Gerrard looked uncomfortable again and while I feel a bit sorry for him because he's a good man and a great player, I think it's time for him to be dropped. We created chances and had a good spell in the second half when we equalised but we didn't take them and that costs you at the highest level.

Sacking Hodgson is not the answer. He's a good coach with immense international experience, and sadly there are no better English candidates at the moment (7/20 Premier League clubs managed by Englishmen). Despite two defeats we've played better than we have at recent World Cups, and we have some talented young players who are going to improve. I think we need to focus now on developing and gelling these youngsters into a regular team that can mount a serious challenge on Euro 2016.

And remember, there's still a chance we could qualify! Italy should beat Costa Rica, whether they beat Uruguay is another question. Viva Italia!

I'd go with that. He is only 75% fit yet put in a great performance. He was the difference between the two teams

I'd go with that. He is only 75% fit yet put in a great performance. He was the difference between the two teams

He is one fine player !

I still cannot understand for the life of me why not one single England player gave him the treatment,Barton tweeted last night why no tackles !

Hart
Henderson - Wilshere
Sturridge

This is certainly the way to go in the qualifiers, in as much that last night/this tournament should be the last England apps for:

JOHNSON
Baines
Jagielka
Gerrard

Qualifying for the EUROs is now going to be even easier than before, and a squad for 2016 looking something like this:

GKs:
Hart
Forster
+1

DEF:
Flannagan
Cahill
Stones
Shaw
Clyne
Jones
X

MID:
Ox
Barkley
Wilshere
Henderson
Lallana
Y
Y2
Y3

ATT:
Sturridge
Sterling
Walcott
Rooney
Z

With the X/Y/Z's to be found between now and then.

Interesting that so many Liverpool players in the team. Who was it that Roy managed before England? Liverpool

Hardly a beautiful relationship though was it? They were second in the league last year and with Man City barely having any English players, and two of Chelsea's best now retired, it makes sense for him to look to Liverpool.

NB - I ****ing hate Liverpool. But there is no denying they have some decent English players.

Worries me that we can't do any better at centre back than Jagielka, a reasonable PL player but not international class. If he had done his job last night, this thread would have been a lot more upbeat.

2/Restrict the foreign players to maximum of 6 per team in the prem and the championship
3/Beg Harry to take the job and bring in Rodgers as his assistant to eventually take the job

If all of these had been implemented at the time Hodgson was appointed, do you really believe that it would have effected our performances during this World Cup?

I still can't believe that people think this would make a difference...

Why the hell would Rodgers want to be Redknapps assistant ?

1) Is much more tactically astute so what is the point in him being patronised by saying 'he can have the job when he has learned from the master' ?

2) He has only just started to blend his own club side into a team which should challenge at the top of the PL next season.

3) He is from N.Ireland , so doubt he gives a toss about Engalnd

Take your pick from any of the above or feel free to come back with some inane twaddle as usual.......

If all of these had been implemented at the time Hodgson was appointed, do you really believe that it would have effected our performances during this World Cup?

Surely cannot have done any worse!

Roy got the gig because the blazers wanted a nice clean yes man whilst real football people wanted Harry,As I have already stated it's not Roy's fault he is out of his depth because the blazers put him there.

Still cannot get my head round the fact we played with 2 holding midfielders..Bizarre tactic.

Hardly a beautiful relationship though was it? They were second in the league last year and with Man City barely having any English players, and two of Chelsea's best now retired, it makes sense for him to look to Liverpool.

NB - I ****ing hate Liverpool. But there is no denying they have some decent English players.

Worries me that we can't do any better at centre back than Jagielka, a reasonable PL player but not international class. If he had done his job last night, this thread would have been a lot more upbeat.

Not saying this was the reason, just pointing it out. The fact that he knows the Liverpool players well, knows what they can do, and the fact Liverpool have so many English players was a deciding factor I think.

Correct on Jagielka, not the greatest CB but we don't have an abundance of CB's. They mainly seem to be imported in from abroad, but that's the way the teams in the PL roll

Back