• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex 2017 (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.
102 needed off 18 overs @ 5.66.

We've taken 50 off the last 10, so we're on course.

Still 4 down.....

bugger now 5 down - Ryder out. 98 needed off 17.3 overs

Blast....Now 251-7

We need to up up our game if we want to hold on for a draw.

Up next Napier.... double or quits time.

Happy with the draw on the whole. I guess If i had minor complaint, I would have liked to have seen Cook & Napier picking up some non risky extra runs though (especially in the last 3 overs), rather than just standing around in the hope the that the ball would have gone for a 4.

Obviously, would have made no difference to the outcome, but none the less.

All credit due though to Cook though for his 127

Such a shame to waste Porter and Napier's effort with the ball.

With only one going up draws are no good.

But some very impressive individual displays against the favourites for promotion.

But some very impressive individual displays against the favourites for promotion.

Difficult conundrum, I guess, as a win would have been massive, but losing to a potential title contender would have possibly been worse.

I think if we hadn't lost Bopara just before lunch and needed that 157 at tea with 2 down, we would have had a dart.

The real damage was that 46 runs last wicket partnership yesterday/this morning.

Still, great stuff from Jamie Porter. :clap:

I Agree, However, It wasnt a really wasted 4 days, I remember pre season and posting just about a week or so ago, that Sussex were favourites to gain promotion, so I knew this would always be a tough one.

I think where we kind of let ourselves down was (in particular order):

1. Poor performances from Browne as an opening batsman in both Innings. Shocking.. I was expecting 30+ at least

2. Cook's First Innings (if I hear one more word about the new helmet.. im going straight to Phil Brown for some more poor excuses!)

3. Napier being dropped down the batting line up for the 2nd innings, considering his 45 from the 1st innings, I would have put him in before Foster.

4. Essex was happy not to even slightly try to bowl out Sussex in the afternoon of day 3, incase of bringing in a night watchman.

5. Losing Bopara before lunch, was a bit of a game changer in my opinion.

6. Advising Ryder to play it safe.. it was clear he was frustrated by the tactics, & could have added many more points on the board.

7. Last few overs we were clearly batting for a draw and were non risk takers (fair enough) but I would still like to have seen them them pick up the odd run or two rather than stand on the crease, for batting averages if not else.

Anyway, in summary, it's all good and well, one win & one draw (against the hot favourites, and although it's early days, we are still sitting high in the table). Bring on Northamptonshire at the County Ground :thumbsup:

Difficult conundrum, I guess, as a win would have been massive, but losing to a potential title contender would have possibly been worse.

I think if we hadn't lost Bopara just before lunch and needed that 157 at tea with 2 down, we would have had a dart.

The real damage was that 46 runs last wicket partnership yesterday/this morning.

Still, great stuff from Jamie Porter. :clap:

Spot on. That really hurt.

As did the bowling on the first morning. Dixon had a 'mare. Not sure we'll see him next match. I think Masters and Quinn will come in for him and Napes (rested rather than dropped).

And obviously still early days but Jamie Porter's en route to becoming an Essex legend.

Aren't Sussex favourites? If that it is the case, then a draw at their place is actually a good result.

Interestingly the game finished with us needing about 60 with 3 wickets, which I would call a proper draw. It wasn't as if either side got away with it due to the weather or anything like that. Both teams could legitimately argue that they could have won that given more time.

A draw is a good result I think, would have taken it before the match. Sussex 2 draws now, a win against Northants will be a very good start to the season IMO.

Good day's work, that.

335-3 and no-one got more than 65.

Consistency personified.

Good day's work, that.

335-3 and no-one got more than 65.

Consistency personified.

Went after tea yesterday and Northants looked beaten already, no noise at all, half hearted LBW appeals, poor body language and going through the motions. Think we'd have hammered them if it wasn't for this weeks weather. Will be a draw

Went after tea yesterday and Northants looked beaten already, no noise at all, half hearted LBW appeals, poor body language and going through the motions. Think we'd have hammered them if it wasn't for this weeks weather. Will be a draw

Doesn't look very promising does it...

Declared on 441-8 this morning, Ravi top scored with 76.

Northants 0-2 after 3 overs, Masters with both wickets in the 1st over.:happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back