• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It’s a bad day at the office and a team with so many of the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] team squad involved should have done better but at the end of the day it is little more than a friendly. The positive I hope that comes from this is we have a serious look at Alex Read, 52 goals last season and 24 already this season is phenomenal, even if it is at Ryman North level. Dwight Gayle wasn’t banging them in like that when he was in the Essex senior league! Someone will take a gamble on this guy soon and we need a goalscorer.
You may be right but what sort of deal would we offer him ? I would imagine one with lots of if's and but's based on performances / goals etc. If I was Read I would opt for stability and wait for a proper offer to come along, I honestly don't think PB and RM would offer a decent deal to a non league player. The problem for Read would be if he signed then wasn't given the chance to show what he can do with a decent run in the side.

You may be right but what sort of deal would we offer him ? I would imagine one with lots of if's and but's based on performances / goals etc. If I was Read I would opt for stability and wait for a proper offer to come along, I honestly don't think PB and RM would offer a decent deal to a non league player. The problem for Read would be if he signed then wasn't given the chance to show what he can do with a decent run in the side.

I’ve never seen the guy play so I sent out a few messages to guys I know who played against him last season. I know a few Witham town players who were in the side that beat Harlow in the play off final last season. Word is he has had 7 day approaches as far up as the conference but hasn’t wanted to speak to any of them which makes them think he must be on a good deal at Harlow. So we would need to offer a decent package IMO, not silly but decent. 2 of the 3 guys I spoke to said if he goes pro they would put money on him to be the league’s top scorer next season and they all think he’s got what it takes. One quote “He’s got everything Beckford and Gayle had when I played against them, maybe more, he’s got a good chance”

It’s a bad day at the office and a team with so many of the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] team squad involved should have done better but at the end of the day it is little more than a friendly. The positive I hope that comes from this is we have a serious look at Alex Read, 52 goals last season and 24 already this season is phenomenal, even if it is at Ryman North level. Dwight Gayle wasn’t banging them in like that when he was in the Essex senior league! Someone will take a gamble on this guy soon and we need a goalscorer.

Yes it was ANOTHER bad day at the office.

Our manager had the opportunity last night of taking a serious look at Alex Read playing against a defender who he had spent a fair bit of money on.

The fact that he chose do media work shows where his interests really are.

Yes it was ANOTHER bad day at the office.

Our manager had the opportunity last night of taking a serious look at Alex Read playing against a defender who he had spent a fair bit of money on.

The fact that he chose do media work shows where his interests really are.

I don't buy into the whole grouping this together with the 1st teams run of bad form as it is a reserve game and a mixmatch team. But I do agree that Brown had a chance to look at a Striker who should be on our radar if Bob Shaw is worth his job and that for me is the failiure.

Would love it if we took a chance on Read. Even if we did I'm sure it would be same old **** from Brown and he wouldn't even make the bench. Brown out.

If he is deemed good enough then it would be easy to broker a deal for him - the promise of pre season friendlies over the next 2/3 years is a money spinner for Harlow, the offer/promise of a couple of decent youths on loan. Then we sort the financial part out, for a club like Harlow that should be easy enough to sort and for the player he must have aspirations to go pro.

If he is deemed good enough then it would be easy to broker a deal for him - the promise of pre season friendlies over the next 2/3 years is a money spinner for Harlow, the offer/promise of a couple of decent youths on loan. Then we sort the financial part out, for a club like Harlow that should be easy enough to sort and for the player he must have aspirations to go pro.
Based on last nights result the last thing they need is players from SUFC

Has anyone actually considered that part of the deal of Brown being here is that he is allowed to do his media work which will no doubt enable us to save some money on his salary?

He's an ex-Prem manager and has some excellent contacts. He raises the profile of the club, which is ALWAYS a good thing and what on earth does anyone think he would learn by being at a game live that he couldn't get from a) a video, b) reports from his staff and c) reports from his own team?

There is little loyalty in football and half the people on here seem to want Brown out of work. I would imagine that his priorities are making sure he is looked after and his media stuff will see him through long after the inevitable sacking that he will receive one day from here unless we get promoted, in which case his media work will be irrelevant.

People, get real, please.

Has anyone actually considered that part of the deal of Brown being here is that he is allowed to do his media work which will no doubt enable us to save some money on his salary?

He's an ex-Prem manager and has some excellent contacts. He raises the profile of the club, which is ALWAYS a good thing and what on earth does anyone think he would learn by being at a game live that he couldn't get from a) a video, b) reports from his staff and c) reports from his own team?

There is little loyalty in football and half the people on here seem to want Brown out of work. I would imagine that his priorities are making sure he is looked after and his media stuff will see him through long after the inevitable sacking that he will receive one day from here unless we get promoted, in which case his media work will be irrelevant.

How can he lecture the team on loyalty or commitment when he swans off moonlighting the whole time?

What comes first: SUFC or his media activities?

What raises the club's profile is winning matches and scoring goals, something we're not doing under his management.

I couldn't care less about "his contacts". He should try getting some glasses instead so he can see the dross we are currently enduring.

There is little loyalty in football and half the people on here seem to want Brown out of work.

He's an ex-Prem manager and has some excellent contacts.

I certainly don't want to see him out of work. I could think of several clubs I'd be happy to see him managing.

These good contacts don't seem to be doing us any great favours in the loan market.

Premiership for less than two seasons of his 9 years in management. Quickly sacked by Derby after a run of bad results, sacked by Hull after a massive run of bad results, sacked by Preston after a massive run of poor results. If he could do a quarter of as good job as he talks, we'd be well away.

I certainly don't want to see him out of work. I could think of several clubs I'd be happy to see him managing.

These good contacts don't seem to be doing us any great favours in the loan market.

Premiership for less than two seasons of his 9 years in management. Quickly sacked by Derby after a run of bad results, sacked by Hull after a massive run of bad results, sacked by Preston after a massive run of poor results. If he could do a quarter of as good job as he talks, we'd be well away.

Yes, I think you're right, he certainly talks a good game. He thinks the strikers will come good, but does nothing about it. American Football has offence and defence coaches. We could learn from that. Our team and training is being run by 3 defencive coaches including Phil Brown. Nothing different is being done in training to improve the strikers. Even the trees behind the goal are getting fed up by being pounded by wayward footballs.

I saw Harlow score 6 on their G4/whatever surface a few weeks ago and my mucker who follows them teased me that they would do us when the draw was made. A decent, neat side, but with a suspect pairing in the heart of defence. I did wonder if their lofty league position was mainly down to their home pitch, maybe not. Read scored a hat-trick that day and reminded me of a bustling Keith Mercer, though not quite League level IMHO.....and hear hear to buffalowolf's comments re Mr Brown's abscence....

I saw Harlow score 6 on their G4/whatever surface a few weeks ago and my mucker who follows them teased me that they would do us when the draw was made. A decent, neat side, but with a suspect pairing in the heart of defence. I did wonder if their lofty league position was mainly down to their home pitch, maybe not. Read scored a hat-trick that day and reminded me of a bustling Keith Mercer, though not quite League level IMHO.....and hear hear to buffalowolf's comments re Mr Brown's abscence....

You are not alone in that opinion, just had the final report on him back and whereas the other were very impressed, this one not so much:

Yeh I know him, played against him a lot of times, he was at Brentwood a couple years ago as well. He's a strange one mate as you said he score so many goals but to be honest he ain't a lot else, never seen him play well whenever I've played against him. Scores too many goals to be a bad player though, don't think he's much better than one more level up though. I'm surprised nobody has taken a chance on him- even local teams like Billericay etc.

Fbm exhorts us to get real but it is PB who should get real. He had an opportunity to see some players (whom he had urged to make him take notice) in a match situation but instead chose to co-commentate on BBC national radio. He got it wrong. Very wrong. Shame on you PB. The supporters of this club (and the numbers attending are dwindling) deserved better, as did the players he should have been watching.

Back