• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

watfordfan

Delighted to hear that Britt Assombalonga is doing the business for you so far this season.

Currently at Watford we have a good forward line of Vydra, Deeney, Foresteri, Beleck and Geijo, so actually a season loan at Southend would be great for both him and you.

What have been his biggest strengths? I saw his goal down at Plymouth, and what a fantastic finish that was!

Anyway, good luck for the season, and I think if you do keep Britt for the season, he's a shoe-in to score 25 goals and that could be enough to take you back to League One.

Cheers.

Hi Watfordfan and welcome.

Looks to me like everyone's a winner with his loan here.

Britt is enjoying himself getting goals, gaining valuable first team experience whist leaning the finner points of the game from a manager who has seen and done it all. I'm sure he is also picking up tips from the likes of Eastwood, Harris etc.

SUFC are obviously benefitting from his goals.

Watford (whilst as you point out not in need of his services currrently) will gain from having an improving more confident player on their books.

It's a win, win, win situation.

Great having him here and we all hope to keep him for the season (at least). He's quick, tricky and strong and always looking for the ball. He also doesn't just wait to receive it but will also hunt out the ball. Probably one of our best loanees ever.

It's great for Britt to gain experience at a big club like Southend-- and he's revelling in the cauldron pot of League 2-- but I wonder if he can maintain that focus when he returns to a small town club like Watford. To be frank, I can see us snapping up Britt for around 500k in the summer.

He's rubbish, couldn't hit a barn door at close range :winking:

Absolutely. However Elliot Benyon is like a league 2 Wayne Rooney and it well worth a swap as he'll bang them in for fun in the Championship. He's definitely bound to be in the national squad.

Have I pushed it too far :unsure:

Delighted to hear that Britt Assombalonga is doing the business for you so far this season.

Currently at Watford we have a good forward line of Vydra, Deeney, Foresteri, Beleck and Geijo, so actually a season loan at Southend would be great for both him and you.

What have been his biggest strengths? I saw his goal down at Plymouth, and what a fantastic finish that was!

Anyway, good luck for the season, and I think if you do keep Britt for the season, he's a shoe-in to score 25 goals and that could be enough to take you back to League One.

Cheers.

Scoring at his current League rate would give him over 30 !!

The danger (for us) is that Watford might be looking to take him up a level.

Last season he had 3 months of Conference Football, by the end of the current loan he'll have had three months of League Two and they might want him to spend a similar spell in League One.

Hopefully they'll leave well alone and let him extend his loan (without his goals we'd be 19th) and also hopefully we pay any money due to Watford promptly !

Yes you dont want Britt back. There is a player called Blair Sturrock who is available on a free who will do just as good a job for you. If not, if you could coax Drewe Broughton out of retirement he has similar attributes- pace, power, deadly finishing and he wears cool sweatbands too. Either way you definitely dont want Britt back.

Totally agree, he's rubbish - only scores tap-ins and only scores them because he gets told where to stand.

Won't do anything for your lot this season, so in the interests of yourselves, we'll keep him until May. Don't want to, but we'll do it as a favour...

:winking:

Totally agree, he's rubbish - only scores tap-ins and only scores them because he gets told where to stand.

Won't do anything for your lot this season, so in the interests of yourselves, we'll keep him until May. Don't want to, but we'll do it as a favour...

:winking:

Exactly - but as said previously , we would reluctantly accept a swap for Benyon if pushed

Cheers.

Good to see you are still giving local lads a chance in your forward line.:smile:

Scoring at his current League rate would give him over 30 !!

The danger (for us) is that Watford might be looking to take him up a level.

Last season he had 3 months of Conference Football, by the end of the current loan he'll have had three months of League Two and they might want him to spend a similar spell in League One.

Hopefully they'll leave well alone and let him extend his loan (without his goals we'd be 19th) and also hopefully we pay any money due to Watford promptly !

Being 19th in the division, having played all those games with only 10 men (and some with only 9!) would actually be quite impressive.

Being 19th in the division, having played all those games with only 10 men (and some with only 9!) would actually be quite impressive.

I'd assumed for the purposes of this simplistic and not ever so serious statement that someone like Benyon would have played instead and not scored (a reasonable assumption based on empirical evidence). I'd also not taken into account assists (eg the third one on Saturday) so actually without him, I suspect we would be even lower and hopefully we are already in negotiation to extend his loan.

Here we go ...... a different point of view ....... obviously pleased that Britt is scoring goals and then some more goals ........... but I can't say that I am happy that it is a loan player getting us points rather than our own contracted players.

What is the point of the loan system? Watford get a player developed "for free" and may make millions from it whilst we (S.U.F.C.) get a temporary lift from the situation, the club is left without an asset come the end of the loan period. Without the loan system in place, might it not be the case that Britt and other talented youngsters would be in lower league clubs on contracts and then being sold on .............. you know, like it was for many years before the loan system. I've lost count of the number of loan players who have scored against us so perhaps it just evens itself up over time.

So, good for Southend United in the short term (? until Christmas) ...... but what about the longer term, I ask?

Here we go ...... a different point of view ....... obviously pleased that Britt is scoring goals and then some more goals ........... but I can't say that I am happy that it is a loan player getting us points rather than our own contracted players.

What is the point of the loan system? Watford get a player developed "for free" and may make millions from it whilst we (S.U.F.C.) get a temporary lift from the situation, the club is left without an asset come the end of the loan period. Without the loan system in place, might it not be the case that Britt and other talented youngsters would be in lower league clubs on contracts and then being sold on .............. you know, like it was for many years before the loan system. I've lost count of the number of loan players who have scored against us so perhaps it just evens itself up over time.

So, good for Southend United in the short term (? until Christmas) ...... but what about the longer term, I ask?

Bit like renting a place rather than owning it i suppose, but in the meantimes, its somewhere to live, and its a f**king good house!

Get your point completely and in an ideal world , I agree with you.
But , for better or worse , the loan system is here.
As you say the benefits for the Prem League / Championship clubs is much higher in that their player gets competitive games and experience, rather than pointless reserve fixtures.
The 'potential' financial benefit for us ( as pointed out in an earlier post ) is that if stayed all season , his goals could potentially get us promoted.

Yes you dont want Britt back. There is a player called Blair Sturrock who is available on a free who will do just as good a job for you. If not, if you could coax Drewe Broughton out of retirement he has similar attributes- pace, power, deadly finishing and he wears cool sweatbands too. Either way you definitely dont want Britt back.

They've missed out on Blair- he's signed for Bishops Stortford.

Back