• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Indeed. And that leaves Southend where?

Hopefully in the top part of the league!

Perhaps once Hall and Bilel are off the books and some of the injuries are sorted we will still be in a position to fight for promotion ......... we still have Fred, Bomber, Tomlin and Benyon. Good days.

Hopefully with Eastwood, Harris and Corr back to full fitness.

Indeed. And that leaves Southend where?

Hopefully in the top part of the league!

Perhaps once Hall and Bilel are off the books and some of the injuries are sorted we will still be in a position to fight for promotion ......... we still have Fred, Bomber, Tomlin and Benyon. Good days.

... who have averaged 5 League goals each over the last 18 months. If Britt moves on, he'll need replacing.

Here we go ...... a different point of view ....... obviously pleased that Britt is scoring goals and then some more goals ........... but I can't say that I am happy that it is a loan player getting us points rather than our own contracted players.

What is the point of the loan system? Watford get a player developed "for free" and may make millions from it whilst we (S.U.F.C.) get a temporary lift from the situation, the club is left without an asset come the end of the loan period. Without the loan system in place, might it not be the case that Britt and other talented youngsters would be in lower league clubs on contracts and then being sold on .............. you know, like it was for many years before the loan system. I've lost count of the number of loan players who have scored against us so perhaps it just evens itself up over time.

So, good for Southend United in the short term (? until Christmas) ...... but what about the longer term, I ask?

This argument has been had over on the Watford forums for years now.

I do understand your point of view, however, with the current financial climate and with the plethora of young talent available at these big clubs like Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea etc, it makes perfect BUSINESS sense to go to these clubs and 'loan' a few gems in order to climb the leagues and ultimately gain promotion (in an ideal world) and then once you've gained valuable revenue from being in a higher division you can then re-invest that money into your youth set-up.

Obviously I can't comment on the situation at Southend, because I have no clue about what goes on at your club.

Over the last 5 years (post Boothroyd era), we have had to beg, borrow and steal players from Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea in order to keep us in the Championship. We've done this with success as we're still a permanent Championship fixture, and have been since 1997 (when we dipped into League One for one season).

When Boothroyd signed Adam Johnson from Boro on loan, he did exactly what Britt has done for you so far. He scored goals, made goals and generally looked a class apart from anything in the division. Sadly for us, he was re-called by Southgate before Christmas and we couldn't get him back in January. Had we kept him for the season we'd have won promotion at a canter (we finished 6th that season and lost to Hull in the play-off semi's. Johnson left us when we were top of the league by about 10 points). Hopefully that won't happen to you with Britt.

Losing AJ back to Boro ultimately cost us £80,000,000 of Premiership money!! Incredible when you put it into that context.

On the flip side, we managed to loan Tom Cleverley from United a few years ago, and he was pivotal in ensuring we stayed in the league. Had it not been for his 10 goals from midfield we'd have definitely been relegated.

Take the loan system for what it is. Yes it's short-term initially, however, i'm sure club owners would say it does serve a long term purpose in a clubs future if the loans are successful.

Also to add to my above post, when Boothroyd got us promoted we invested a lot of the Premiership prize money in something called 'The Harefield academy', which has been a huge success in producing players of the same ilk as Assombalonga. Which was kind of my point about loaning players for immediate success and being able to afford to invest in your own youth academy, so you can produce players like Ashley young(sold for £10,000,000 if you add on the sell on from Villa to Utd), Sean Murray (who is a class act), Marvin Sordell (left for £4,000,000), Britt Assombalonga, Jonathan Bond, Tommie Hoban and Bernand Mensah. All of the above mentioned players will play for top clubs one day and make our club in the region of £50,000,000 in transfer fee's alone.

Also to add to my above post, when Boothroyd got us promoted we invested a lot of the Premiership prize money in something called 'The Harefield academy', which has been a huge success in producing players of the same ilk as Assombalonga. Which was kind of my point about loaning players for immediate success and being able to afford to invest in your own youth academy, so you can produce players like Ashley young(sold for £10,000,000 if you add on the sell on from Villa to Utd), Sean Murray (who is a class act), Marvin Sordell (left for £4,000,000), Britt Assombalonga, Jonathan Bond, Tommie Hoban and Bernand Mensah. All of the above mentioned players will play for top clubs one day and make our club in the region of £50,000,000 in transfer fee's alone.

Exactly, if Assombalonga's goals get us promoted then we will be able to get better players and most likely have higher income via getting more fans through the gates. Anyone remember when we got Dervite on loan. Wasn't a coincidence that our defence became almost unbreakable when he came in, and we just missed out on promotion. If he was here the whole season, I reckon we would have gotten at least a play-off place, and with promotion to the Championship, we would have been able to keep hold of some of our players and been able to attract quality players.

I would hope that we can keep Britt for the season, I agree however with what a few have said about the loan system, I don't like it either but it is becoming a bit of a way of life in the lower leagues, I'm afraid.

Keeping the subject to Watford, they currently have, IIRC, 11 loanees themselves from Italy and there was a very interesting article in the Telegraph over the weekend about how their new Italian owners saw it as a necessary step towards their longer term plans, an approach which had been very successful with their other club Udinese, who had been in a Watford position but are now pushing for a Champions League place. Their philosphy would point to three or four of those loans becoming permanent but also they like to develop their own players and like to put them on long term contracts, even up to five years in some cases; so couldn't see Britt becoming available too soon....

Found the article if you fancy an interesting read:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ride-says-the-clubs-new-owner-Gino-Pozzo.html

Marvellous :thumbsup: - a decent discussion with differing points of view and no-one saying "get used to it" for example.

My thanks to you all. :clap:

It's a different game at the top to the bottom.

Half a dozen of our best players will sell for £500,000 not £50,000,000.

:hijacked:
:off topic:

Totally off the subject, I used to see your ex Adrian Mariappa every day. He used to drop his daughter off at nursery at the same time I dropped my son off. I don't know what his reputation was like, but he was always very quiet and polite, almost shy. A real gentleman...

Delighted to hear that Britt Assombalonga is doing the business for you so far this season.

Currently at Watford we have a good forward line of Vydra, Deeney, Foresteri, Beleck and Geijo, so actually a season loan at Southend would be great for both him and you.

What have been his biggest strengths? I saw his goal down at Plymouth, and what a fantastic finish that was!

Anyway, good luck for the season, and I think if you do keep Britt for the season, he's a shoe-in to score 25 goals and that could be enough to take you back to League One.

Cheers.

Blimey, you have a forward line of anagrams.

Didn't see this thread as in a rush. A revelation here but as I put elsewhere I have heard Watford may be looking at loaning him out to a L1 club from January to see if he quickly makes the grade there. If so come the summer they'll (watford) will use him frequently themselves or look yo get a good fee for him.

I would also throw "into the ring" the fact that Britt is only 19 and still has a great deal of time to learn and gain experience.

There is nothing like banging in the goals to breed confidence ......... and nothing like not scoring each week to undermine that confidence.

It could be that time at a club like Southend (where he is scoring goals) may, in the longer term, be better for Britt than being at a club in a higher division where he may not be scoring goals ........ or even be in the starting XI.

What I mean, in first half of 2008/09 season, Lee Sawyer was fantastic for us, then Chelsea whisk him off us and send him out on loan to Coventry, he didn't get much of a game/sat on the bench, not good when he need games.

Hate to say it on here but he may end up down at the WHCS in January if Watford want him to have league one experience, we signed Gavin Massey on a 3 year deal this season from them he is the same age as Britt and presumably they know one another well so it would be a good fit for the lad. We have the two young lads from Arsenal at present who go back to their parent club at the end of December and Ibehre goes back to Mk Dons at the same time so we will be in the market for some more loanee forwards.

Hate to say it on here but he may end up down at the WHCS in January if Watford want him to have league one experience, we signed Gavin Massey on a 3 year deal this season from them he is the same age as Britt and presumably they know one another well so it would be a good fit for the lad. We have the two young lads from Arsenal at present who go back to their parent club at the end of December and Ibehre goes back to Mk Dons at the same time so we will be in the market for some more loanee forwards.

Yeah thanks for that.
Keep your opinions to yourself please.................:sad:

After the big time of Southend it would crucify the kid to make him play for league one fodder like Colchester. Watford are not that daft.

Back