• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Evening Echo

Like all local papers they are really struggling, hard copy sales well down. They often have full page ads in the paper almost pleading for new readers to take out subscriptions. Like many businesses this virus epidemic could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Like all local papers they are really struggling, hard copy sales well down. They often have full page ads in the paper almost pleading for new readers to take out subscriptions. Like many businesses this virus epidemic could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

As Frankie Boyle said "“Many British newspapers are on the verge of going bust, so there’s never been a more important time to not buy one.”

I think they need to be very careful.

I have a subscription for having the physical paper delivered every day and just use online to catch up during the day when I've got a few minutes between e-mails, etc.

Them asking for a subscription for online and giving a yearly price has made me compare the two subscriptions.
The physical paper works out at £171.60 p.a., the online version £52 p,.a.

Now, do I pay them an additional £52 p.a. for the ability to look at a few articles online that I can read in the paper tomorrow making a total cost of £223.60 per annum or do I dump the paper and save myself £119.60 p.a. and read everything online?

The way I'm thinking is virtually everything I read in the paper is on the website so I can save the £119.60 because that will cover the mobile phone contracts for myself and my wife for 10 months...
And when the lockdown comes to an end my local cafe has a copy of the Echo for everyone to read so I can read it when I pop in for my morning coffee anyway...

Now, if they were to write to me as a loyal paper subscriber and say that they were now going to charge a subscription for online and would I want it, as a loyal subscriber, for a discounted rate, maybe £1 per month, I might be inclined to do it. At the moment they're just looking greedy and in danger of losing my paper subscription.

Last edited:
I used to deliver it as a young lad about a year after it first came out. The problem was it was much bigger and hard to get through some letter boxes without damaging their newspaper. Some people would complain if you folded it to much, but how else were you meant to get it through the smaller letter boxes? It was in black and white for years.
That mosaic Serpent at Southend hospital was put up by my uncle Len Johnson. He was a Master tiler. It's a symbol of medicine and healing. He said it was like doing one of the biggest jigsaws in the world.

Echo.png

I used to deliver it as a young lad about a year after it first came out. The problem was it was much bigger and hard to get through some letter boxes without damaging their newspaper. Some people would complain if you folded it to much, but how else were you meant to get it through the smaller letter boxes? It was in black and white for years.
That mosaic Serpent at Southend hospital was put up by my uncle Len Johnson. He was a Master tiler. It's a symbol of medicine and healing. He said it was like doing one of the biggest jigsaws in the world.

Echo.png

So did Rob Noxious I believe.I can certainly remember when it first came out (when I was in the 6th form).Signed up for a monthly sub.on the 1st of May so if it folds-pun intended- (which I certainly hope it doesn't)- it won't cost me too much.

Last edited:
The problem with the on-line version of the Echo is firstly the adverts and then reading news other than football stuff which I otherwise may not get to find out about. It's far easier to browse a newspaper than it is to surf a web site. I use an add blocker so I don't get inundated with online ads, but the browsing bit is lost on line. I suppose the x number of times you visit is down to x cookie counts? If so maybe a regular refresh of the browser may cure that issue.

As Frankie Boyle said "“Many British newspapers are on the verge of going bust, so there’s never been a more important time to not buy one.”

"According to the tabloids, weather forecasters are predicting a Summer heatwave. Please remember not to look directly at the Sun, as it’s bad for your health. The same goes for the Mail and the Express."

I did morning for the nationals for several year, and some months of the Echo. As I recall we had to collect the money on the doorstep in the early 70's.

I did morning for the nationals for several year, and some months of the Echo. As I recall we had to collect the money on the doorstep in the early 70's.
So did I and the thing was if a customer wasn't in, you still paid the paper agent the total and then it was down to you to collect because it was your wages what a bloody cheek,always was a **** paper.

I suppose the x number of times you visit is down to x cookie counts? If so maybe a regular refresh of the browser may cure that issue.

Thanks! That prompted me to remove cookies on just the Echo website, and now I can view the stories again - for the time being at least. Google something like "delete cookies for current website + [name of your browser]" to find out how to do it. It worked for me on Firefox.

Isn't about time the Owners/Moderators of this site banned the Evening Echo from posting on here.
It is the only poster expecting you to pay to read their comments.
Definitely open to doing that. But is it the problem actually being reported? Is it just a case or registering and the content is free? Don’t know why but I can’t replicate the issue when I access it. I can still see the stories.

Back