• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Extensions / Planning Permission

DTS

The Business
Morning all,

OK so the Mrs and I are considering getting a two story extension done. We are at really early stages in so much as we have only started meeting architects yesterday.

Basic plan appears to be to go out the side of or house (were detached) and then build an extra bedroom and study upstairs with an undetermined room/rooms below. This extension would potentially run the majority of the length of our house.

Were getting prices to do the work at the end of next week. Just wondering if any zones have got experience of doing this type of thing and could give me a ball park of what a total cost could be as I haven't got a clue at this stage. I'm torn because I would like the space but we don't really need it and I don't want to go above the celling for our road which were probably almost at.

Cheers all.

Mail me over the plans and i will work a price out for you as a stick to judge the others by,get at least 5 prices and check thier work out,ask your friends if they have used any good ones.

Don't bother with planning permission. Just paint your extension is disruptive pattern camouflage so it doesn't show up in Google Earth. If you dont want any objections from your neighbours start a cover story that you used to be in the SAS about six weeks before starting construction.

You'll probably be fine for planning permission if there is a precedent set for it already on your road etc. Expect the neighbours closest to you to object, even if it doesn't affect them whatsoever, however, most of this will probably get thrown out, as most objections are ludicrous and/or don't even make any actual sence (for example, when my parents had there car port extension, the neighbours on the other side of the road, 3 houses up the hill claimed the side window would impinge on their privacy...i mean seriously!).
Also if the objections are semi serious, try and get the final 'stamp' called on a night when there is something big going through that council meeting, as that will mean anyone who wants to really object would have to sit through 2 hours of discussion on the knocking down of the day nursary, before they got to your property, which will get signed off nice and easy, as everyone will just want to go home!

You'll probably be fine for planning permission if there is a precedent set for it already on your road etc. Expect the neighbours closest to you to object, even if it doesn't affect them whatsoever, however, most of this will probably get thrown out, as most objections are ludicrous and/or don't even make any actual sence (for example, when my parents had there car port extension, the neighbours on the other side of the road, 3 houses up the hill claimed the side window would impinge on their privacy...i mean seriously!).
Also if the objections are semi serious, try and get the final 'stamp' called on a night when there is something big going through that council meeting, as that will mean anyone who wants to really object would have to sit through 2 hours of discussion on the knocking down of the day nursary, before they got to your property, which will get signed off nice and easy, as everyone will just want to go home!

That depends though. The council sometimes delegate planning permission to a more local authority, who advise.

Once upon a time I was on the planning committee in Hildenborough. There was one thing we were told to look out for: will the expansion be over-the-top for the number of current residents?

Back