• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane FA Cup Memories

To further emphasise how magnificent that afternoon was: just look at Swindon’s record that season:
In the FA Cup,they’d already managed to overcome both Canterbury and Grantham!(sorry!-joking!).
They famously stormed through to Wembley where they beat Arsenal in the League Cup,and in gaining promotion to the old 2nd Division,at Home they lost only one game and conceded only 7 goals.We were Division 4 of course.
We all watched on from their “end”.
I remember coming back from Swindon game with my mate the late Bob Jenning dreaming who we were going to get in the next round , it had to be a BIG club , the rest is history .

I've just edited my reply above, Ozzie and it shows all the matches they broadcast and you are right about the QPR game being televised.

It's on that link of listed matches.

Now to find it in the archive.
This would be a great find ...must be in the top 5 SUFC matches for people of a certain age ,would love to see and relive the goal celebrations

Im sure,like you Trigg...the game was great...but what we would pay for a video-dvd ,not so much the game....but 90 minutes just watching the "PAK"-North bank
I forget-dont care what i done yesterday,last month..but i still remember the "bird"i sha--ed,that night(friday),before the game.Then early morning saying"goodbye",im off quick,getting ready for the QPR game
Great times

To further emphasise how magnificent that afternoon was: just look at Swindon’s record that season:
In the FA Cup,they’d already managed to overcome both Canterbury and Grantham!(sorry!-joking!).
They famously stormed through to Wembley where they beat Arsenal in the League Cup,and in gaining promotion to the old 2nd Division,at Home they lost only one game and conceded only 7 goals.We were Division 4 of course.
We all watched on from their “end”.
And who else were in their end?..How many Shrimpers? Is that another "end" that has-had the "hump"with us???

Indeed, 50 years ago today and I can't think of a better FA Cup result in those 50 years since.

Villa 71 must come close .

Not that close for me. Villa was a first round match (they were in the Third Division at the time as were Swindon when we beat them), it was at home and we only won by one goal not two.

Both teams recovered from their Cup disappointment to win promotion.

Still the only time we've played Villa, just 117 times less than we've played Swindon.

Although this match was half a centuary ago sometimes it seems like only yesterday so what are your memories of the match. Can you remember the following chant from the match? "Poor Donny Rogers lies dead on the floor kicked in the b......s by Sir Gary Moore".

*Useless Information: Fifty years ago today No.1 in the U.K. charts was The Marmalade with "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" whose lead singer sadly died a few days ago. "Sad but True"

It was inspired by Dave Davies' debut single "Death of a Clown" (for Clown, insert Town). He was a member of the Kinks and is still alive, I believe.

Not that close for me. Villa was a first round match (they were in the Third Division at the time as were Swindon when we beat them), it was at home and we only won by one goal not two.

Both teams recovered from their Cup disappointment to win promotion.

Still the only time we've played Villa, just 117 times less than we've played Swindon.
What comes close .

Hi Guys! Please forgive me if it’s the wrong place to ask that, but I found this Tshirt (seems like it’s 2010/11) and since I’m not a football fan, I have no idea if it has any value and if these autographs are real. Maybe someone wants to buy it? I will appreciate any information,thank you:)

Attachments

• 5B8033F6-C23B-4F01-8016-66BCF0295E71.jpeg
    5B8033F6-C23B-4F01-8016-66BCF0295E71.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 17
  • F3C5135B-85C4-446D-ACD1-978357C954FF.jpeg
    F3C5135B-85C4-446D-ACD1-978357C954FF.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 17
My final post in memory of the 50th.Anniversay of our magnificent F.A.Cup run in the 1968-69 season. Having played non-leaguers Kings Lynn (9-0) and Brentwood Town (10-1) at Roots Hall in the first two rounds we scored a total of 19 goals, we then went to high flying league cup finalists Swindon Town and came away with a surprise but well merited 2-0 victory.
Hopes were very high for a home draw against one of the big boys from Division 1 (premier league for the younger generation), alas it was not to be and sadly we were drawn away to another Third Division side Mansfield Town.

The following details complete my recollection of that day some 50 years ago this weekend.
Sat. 25th. January 1969. Mansfield Town 2(0), Southend United 1(1). Attendance: 16,160.
Goalscorers: Mansfield Town Dudley Roberts(2), Southend United Billy Best.
Mansfield Town line-up: Hollins, Pate, Hopkinson, Quigley, Boam, Waller, Keeley, Sharkey, Ledger(Jones), Roberts & Goodfellow.
Southend United line-up: T.Roberts, Bentley, Birks, Clayton, McMillan, Kurila, Baber, Best, Moore, Hamilton & Chisnall.

There is no match report on this game (due to the fact that I don't have one) but in the 57 years that I have been following the Blues this match ranks as one of my biggest ever disappointments and at that time I can clearly remember how upset I was at losing so narrowly and then finding out the following Monday (that's when the draw was made back then) that Mansfield had been drawn at home to W.H.U. who they then thrashed 3-0.
It was rather a sad end to what had been an incredible run of F.A.Cup matches and with us also failing to gain promotion that season it only added to the misery.

Those cup results did however throw up some interesting/amazing facts and figures.

*Gary Moore & Billy Best both scored hat-tricks against Kings Lynn and Brentwood Town.
(I believe this to be the only time this has happened in F.A.Cup history?).
*Billy Best's five goal haul against Brentwood Town happened in just 19 minutes.
(I believe this to be the quickest 5 goals by 1 player scored in succession in F.A.Cup history?).
*Billy Best's last 3 goals against Brentwood Town were scored in just 3 minutes(87,88,89min).
(I believe this to be the fastest ever hat-trick in the F.A.Cup.(excluding preliminary rounds).
*Billy Best's scored 10 goals in 4 matches in the F.A.Cup that season the most by a single player since the Second World War at that time?.
(Ted McDougall also scored 10 goals in just 2 matches in 1971-72, 9 coming against Margate and ironically the 10th. came against Southend United in a 2-0 win.
*Finally looking through our F.A.Cup results over the years I believe the 2-0 victory over Swindon Town at the County Ground on the 4th. January 1969 was the last time we triumphed away against a team from a higher division?? (we also managed to win 6-1 at Third Division Bournemouth that season in the league cup).

Hopes were very high for a home draw against one of the big boys from Division 1 (premier league for the younger generation), alas it was not to be and sadly we were drawn away to another Third Division side Mansfield Town.

A disappointing draw indeed, although after dispatching Swindon hopes were still high. Mansfield had only avoided relegation to the Fourth Division the previous season due to Peterborough United being relegated instead for illegal payments.

Logistically too, it was a poor draw to as train was our preferred travel at that time. The Beeching axe, some 4 and a half years prior, had put paid to Mansfield's station and Nottingham followed by a local bus was to be the route. (The bus journey back afterwards was not without incident!).

The weather turned just before their next round match against West Ham and it was postponed 5 times before it eventually went ahead for what was probably the greatest night in their history.

I have fond memories of Chesterfield away - Tesfaye Bramble scoring at Saltergate (a draw counted as an upset back then) and then a decade or so later Anthony Straker morphing into Gareth Bale at their new ground as we romped to a 3-1 victory.

That was a great day - fantastic terrace surge and conga when Tes scored....

My final post in memory of the 50th.Anniversay of our magnificent F.A.Cup run in the 1968-69 season. Having played non-leaguers Kings Lynn (9-0) and Brentwood Town (10-1) at Roots Hall in the first two rounds we scored a total of 19 goals, we then went to high flying league cup finalists Swindon Town and came away with a surprise but well merited 2-0 victory.

The following details complete my recollection of that day some 50 years ago this weekend.
Sat. 25th. January 1969. Mansfield Town 2(0), Southend United 1(1). Attendance: 16,160.
Goalscorers: Mansfield Town Dudley Roberts(2), Southend United Billy Best.
Mansfield Town line-up: Hollins, Pate, Hopkinson, Quigley, Boam, Waller, Keeley, Sharkey, Ledger(Jones), Roberts & Goodfellow.
Southend United line-up: T.Roberts, Bentley, Birks, Clayton, McMillan, Kurila, Baber, Best, Moore, Hamilton & Chisnall.

There is no match report on this game (due to the fact that I don't have one) I do! but in the 57 years that I have been following the Blues this match ranks as one of my biggest ever disappointments and at that time I can clearly remember how upset I was at losing so narrowly and then finding out the following Monday (that's when the draw was made back then) that Mansfield had been drawn at home to W.H.U. who they then thrashed 3-0.
It was rather a sad end to what had been an incredible run of F.A.Cup matches and with us also failing to gain promotion that season it only added to the misery.

Those cup results did however throw up some interesting/amazing facts and figures.

*Gary Moore & Billy Best both scored hat-tricks against Kings Lynn and Brentwood Town.
(I believe this to be the only time this has happened in F.A.Cup history?).
*Billy Best's five goal haul against Brentwood Town happened in just 19 minutes.
(I believe this to be the quickest 5 goals by 1 player scored in succession in F.A.Cup history?).
*Billy Best's last 3 goals against Brentwood Town were scored in just 3 minutes(87,88,89min).
(I believe this to be the fastest ever hat-trick in the F.A.Cup.(excluding preliminary rounds).
*Billy Best's scored 10 goals in 4 matches in the F.A.Cup that season the most by a single player since the Second World War at that time?.
(Ted McDougall also scored 10 goals in just 2 matches in 1971-72, 9 coming against Margate and ironically the 10th. came against Southend United in a 2-0 win.
*Finally looking through our F.A.Cup results ove the years I believe the 2-0 victory over Swindon Town at the County Ground on the 4th. January 1969 was the last time we triumphed away against a team from a higher division?? (we also managed to win 6-1 at Third Division Bournemouth that season in the league cup).

Don't know how the uploads will look -the cutting is falling apart.
We were wearing red -both sides changed colours if I recall.

Their first goal had an offside in the build up.

Mansfield1-1.jpgMansfield 2-1.jpgMansfield 3-1.jpg

Bits of the Programme -when pen pictures were informative

View attachment 7112View attachment 7113View attachment 7114
Have only just noticed after seeing the above match programme posted!! I was wondering if any "Shrimpers Fans" out there who have a copy of the above can check it out as the match was actually played on Saturday 25th. January 1969.(not the 22nd. as shown). Also to right the wrong from my post yesterday Mansfield Town's first goal was scored by Dominic"Nick"Sharkey and not by Dudley Roberts who did score the winning goal. Oh well it was 50 years ago, maybe the memory is not quite what it was??

Have only just noticed after seeing the above match programme posted!! I was wondering if any "Shrimpers Fans" out there who have a copy of the above can check it out as the match was actually played on Saturday 25th. January 1969.(not the 22nd. as shown). Also to right the wrong from my post yesterday Mansfield Town's first goal was scored by Dominic"Nick"Sharkey and not by Dudley Roberts who did score the winning goal. Oh well it was 50 years ago, maybe the memory is not quite what it was??

The date on the Programme is wrong - it should have been Saturday 25th January.

( And Bob Ledger was definitely off side in the build up to the first goal.)

Did you note the match stats? - 38 goal attempts but then each side had 5 forwards in those days

Don't know how the uploads will look -the cutting is falling apart.
We were wearing red -both sides changed colours if I recall.

Interesting to see the goal attempts broken down meaningfully in order of merit:

Goals
Woodwork
Well saved
Just wide
Easily saved
Well wide

Too much effort for the modern reporter -suppose it's much easier to reprint a few tweets !

Back