• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane FA Cup Memories

From what I've read of him, I think of Hollis as an earlier version of Goater or Angell. Tall, ungainly, awkward but ever so effective. Is that fair?

If you want to know more about Roy Hollis, Sam McCrory and others from the 1958/59 season, SUEPA should invite Bill Punton down from Norwich.

I had the pleasure of sitting with him at a table he hosted in hospitality when we played at Norwich a few years ago.

He had some great stories from those days including superb tales about Bud Houghton and other stories about the players and Fred Spring (senior) at The Cricketers.

Need to hurry though because he must be in his mid eighties now.

If you want to know more about Roy Hollis, Sam McCrory and others from the 1958/59 season, SUEPA should invite Bill Punton down from Norwich.

I had the pleasure of sitting with him at a table he hosted in hospitality when we played at Norwich a few years ago.

He had some great stories from those days including superb tales about Bud Houghton and other stories about the players and Fred Spring (senior) at The Cricketers.

Need to hurry though because he must be in his mid eighties now.

I bet he did!:Smile:..................but I'm certainly sure there are one or two stories he wouldn't tell!!! :Winking:

57-58 we scored 90 league goals.

Blimey. That's quite something. Never realised it was that many

Just a thought back to those times, when the Cup really was something. Do people remember the rosette sellers outside the ground. You used to get one with a tin form of FA Cup in the middle. ( Do IRC, sometimes Southend printed on a card?)
Back in those days chanting was a little less imaginative than now days. 2-4-6-8 who do we appreciate or 1-2-3-4 who do you think we're (shouting?) for. Each chant would be followed by S-O-U-T-H-E-N-D, SOUTHEND!
Remember I had a wooden rattle which, as I wasn't that tall, would occasionally cause people to duck around me when we scored. Don't know what happened to that but I then acquired a 'lethal' one with a metal frame. Would certaibly be considered an offensive weapon today!..... it's still somewhere downsrairs in my mess. :Smile:

The greatest cup competition in the world is nearly upon us again.

What are your fondest memories in the FA Cup - someone must be old enough to remember us winning a match in it!
Following on from my previous posts on this thread (#56)1968-69. S.U.F.C. v Kings' Lynn 9-0 and (#143)1968-69. S.U.F.C. v Brentwood Town 10-1. It was 50 years ago today that we played at the County Ground the home of League Cup finalists Swindon Town (who beat Arsenal 3-1 in the final a few weeks later) in the 3rd. Round of the F.A.Cup. The following match report was taken from a national newspaper the following day:- "SWINDON FIGHT BACK FOILED BY ROBERTS". Swindon the Wiltshire whirlwinds who face Arsenal in the L.C. Final at Wembley on March 15th. crashed out of the F.A.Cup to a Fourth Division Southend team that bubbled over with fight in this truly emotional battle, and Swindon the Third Division giants who had crushed Derby County & Burnley on the way to the League Cup Final could have no reason for complaint. They were out-skilled, out-fought and at times completely over-shadowed by the snappy young men of Southend who had already scored 19 goals in the two previous rounds of the competition. Heroes? the whole Southend team Villians? There was none in a sporting and thrilling match that brought out the very best the F.A. Cup can produce. If one had to single out any one for particular praise it must be TREVOR ROBERTS, the brave and agile Southend goalkeeper who foiled supreme efforts by Don Rogers and Peter Noble as Swindon turned on the pressure in a late second half attempt to draw level. But the way big MIKE BEESLEY drilled his men at the back there hardly ever seemed the chance of Swindon hitting back decisively. Southend were always crisper in movement and more inventive in their approach on a sticky difficult pitch that made good soccer a tough proposition. But the 18,828 crowd got it and it was in plentiful supply through-out this stirring clash. Southend's overlapping full backs looked dangerous from the start but, after only 14 minutes left back GRAHAM BIRKS raced along the wing and flashed over a low centre for goal-scorer supreme BILLY BEST to volley home. Swindon tried all they knew to come back, Skipper Stan Harland was delicate in his prompting and John Smith cunning in his scheming, but the pay-off punch was lacking. Southend could and should have gone 2-0 ahead after 44 minutes, but Chico Hamilton's cross was wasted by big Gary Moore. But Southend had no need to fluster as just 33 seconds
after the interval a classic movement led to their second goal. The ball went from full back TONY BENTLEY to BEST on the right wing whose cross was headed down by MOORE and HAMILTON was there to slip the ball home. Not one Swindon player had touched the ball until keeper Downsborough picked it out of the net. Although this match was half a centuary ago sometimes it seems like only yesterday so what are your memories of the match. Can you remember the following chant from the match? "Poor Donny Rogers lies dead on the floor kicked in the b......s by Sir Gary Moore". For many fans of a certain age this match often goes down as one of our all time great performances in the F.A. Cup, mind you there has been few of them over the last 50 years. Having won at Swindon sadly we were paired with Mansfield Town who then beat us rather luckily by 2-1 at Field Mill. If my memory serves me well it took me ages to recover from that defeat mainly because Mansfield were then drawn at home to West Ham United who they walloped by 3-0 something I always hoped we might do do. *Useless Information: Fifty years ago today No.1 in the U.K. charts was The Marmalade with "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" whose lead singer sadly died a few days ago. "Sad but True"

Excellent report BBTLLO,
My memories of that wonderful day are that I went with my late Dad & Grandfather, both ardent Blues fans, on one of the supporters club coaches ( I was 11 1/2 at the time ).
We sat in their main stand, I'm sure our 'Pak' were in the Swindon end, & the only other memory I have, is that of my Grandad having an argument with the Swindon fan sitting next to him!.
And yes, we all went to Mansfield in the 4th Rd, but that's another story for a yet to posted recollection.

It was 50 years ago today that we played at the County Ground the home of League Cup finalists Swindon Town (who beat Arsenal 3-1 in the final a few weeks later) in the 3rd. Round of the F.A.Cup.

Indeed, 50 years ago today and I can't think of a better FA Cup result in those 50 years since.

was not the game v Swindon shown livbe in the Shrimpers club??
My mum would not allow me to go to Swindon alone,so she took me to see "The jungle book" at the cinema....God i hate that film..

Oh timely, bump.

Yesterday was the 10th anniversary of this

[video]

That day had everything, Chelsea fans with the hump over us getting one of their pubs, a cracking equalizer, the case of the missing flag and me getting very drunk after with our very own Callum.

Thanks again to Number 11 for getting me a ticket, I haven't forgotten that kindness.

The same date..1975...(4 Jan),we played QPR at home,another great game and the NORTH BANK !!
That was the only time,thank GOD,i was hit by a police truncheon.
When that 2nd goal went in...and then not given penalty ??,which may have made it 3-2.
I think the game was shown on TV the next day (Anglia)....anybody knows how i can get hold off a video-dvd of the game??Have tried-looked,but never found out

The East Anglian Film Archive have old stuff from TV.

I did email them a while back and they said they would look for any old canned footage from the Match of The Week programmes, but they never came back to me sadly, though they may have been waiting for me to give them a list of matches I think were on TV. I can't recall exactly now, as things superceded this and I left it for another time to research.

They might still be worth a try.

Edit : Ozzie, you are right. This link shows all matches broadcast on Match of the Week and there it is on 4th January 1975 :Thumbs up: :-

http://carousel.royalwebhosting.net/itv/Anglia.html

Last edited:
Hi Andy,thanks,i did try.I also wanted an away game at Cambridge,that was on TV.We won 3-2 there....but they never got back to me either!!!

I've just edited my reply above, Ozzie and it shows all the matches they broadcast and you are right about the QPR game being televised.

It's on that link of listed matches.

Now to find it in the archive.

Following on from my previous posts on this thread (#56)1968-69. S.U.F.C. v Kings' Lynn 9-0 and (#143)1968-69. S.U.F.C. v Brentwood Town 10-1. It was 50 years ago today that we played at the County Ground the home of League Cup finalists Swindon Town (who beat Arsenal 3-1 in the final a few weeks later) in the 3rd. Round of the F.A.Cup. The following match report was taken from a national newspaper the following day:- "SWINDON FIGHT BACK FOILED BY ROBERTS". Swindon the Wiltshire whirlwinds who face Arsenal in the L.C. Final at Wembley on March 15th. crashed out of the F.A.Cup to a Fourth Division Southend team that bubbled over with fight in this truly emotional battle, and Swindon the Third Division giants who had crushed Derby County & Burnley on the way to the League Cup Final could have no reason for complaint. They were out-skilled, out-fought and at times completely over-shadowed by the snappy young men of Southend who had already scored 19 goals in the two previous rounds of the competition. Heroes? the whole Southend team Villians? There was none in a sporting and thrilling match that brought out the very best the F.A. Cup can produce. If one had to single out any one for particular praise it must be TREVOR ROBERTS, the brave and agile Southend goalkeeper who foiled supreme efforts by Don Rogers and Peter Noble as Swindon turned on the pressure in a late second half attempt to draw level. But the way big MIKE BEESLEY drilled his men at the back there hardly ever seemed the chance of Swindon hitting back decisively. Southend were always crisper in movement and more inventive in their approach on a sticky difficult pitch that made good soccer a tough proposition. But the 18,828 crowd got it and it was in plentiful supply through-out this stirring clash. Southend's overlapping full backs looked dangerous from the start but, after only 14 minutes left back GRAHAM BIRKS raced along the wing and flashed over a low centre for goal-scorer supreme BILLY BEST to volley home. Swindon tried all they knew to come back, Skipper Stan Harland was delicate in his prompting and John Smith cunning in his scheming, but the pay-off punch was lacking. Southend could and should have gone 2-0 ahead after 44 minutes, but Chico Hamilton's cross was wasted by big Gary Moore. But Southend had no need to fluster as just 33 seconds
after the interval a classic movement led to their second goal. The ball went from full back TONY BENTLEY to BEST on the right wing whose cross was headed down by MOORE and HAMILTON was there to slip the ball home. Not one Swindon player had touched the ball until keeper Downsborough picked it out of the net. Although this match was half a centuary ago sometimes it seems like only yesterday so what are your memories of the match. Can you remember the following chant from the match? "Poor Donny Rogers lies dead on the floor kicked in the b......s by Sir Gary Moore". For many fans of a certain age this match often goes down as one of our all time great performances in the F.A. Cup, mind you there has been few of them over the last 50 years. Having won at Swindon sadly we were paired with Mansfield Town who then beat us rather luckily by 2-1 at Field Mill. If my memory serves me well it took me ages to recover from that defeat mainly because Mansfield were then drawn at home to West Ham United who they walloped by 3-0 something I always hoped we might do do. *Useless Information: Fifty years ago today No.1 in the U.K. charts was The Marmalade with "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" whose lead singer sadly died a few days ago. "Sad but True"
To further emphasise how magnificent that afternoon was: just look at Swindon’s record that season:
In the FA Cup,they’d already managed to overcome both Canterbury and Grantham!(sorry!-joking!).
They famously stormed through to Wembley where they beat Arsenal in the League Cup,and in gaining promotion to the old 2nd Division,at Home they lost only one game and conceded only 7 goals.We were Division 4 of course.
We all watched on from their “end”.

Back