• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Saw Sam Mendes's Empire of Light earlier.Wonderfuld British film on so many levels.My brother -in -law (who saw the film,which is set in Margate,a few weeks ago in Avignon) said the seaside scenes reminded him of SOS.Never been but can see the comparison.
A good film----A real shame that the lovely cinema was a film set.

The resistance banker - subtitles
Currently on Netflix. True story of how two brothers funded the Dutch resistance during WW2. I didn’t know the story so can’t comment on accuracy Highly recommend the film to anyone with an interest in WW11. Make sure you watch the credits with home cine film of the brothers

I think someone has mentioned it before-
The bombardment- Netflix

True tragic story of the RAF mistakenly bombing a school In Denmark near the end of WW2.
Film is centred on the civilians not the RAF and is not a “typical” war film from that respect.

Shows how easily a plan can go wrong and the consequences.

7/10 could have been better,
Th resistance banker I saw earlier in the week was better if you have time for one ear film that is about the civilians rather than typical soldiers fighting

Having been dragged up on Westerns and the completely woodern John Wayne, I developed a deep hatred of these films. However, the one exception is the brilliant Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid. Watching it now, great film.

Having been dragged up on Westerns and the completely woodern John Wayne, I developed a deep hatred of these films. However, the one exception is the brilliant Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid. Watching it now, great film.
Try wattching the Randolph Scott -Budd Boetticher Ranown cycle of westerns. All shot on location, all less than 80 minutes, no wasted words. The Tall T, Comanche Station and Seven Men Fron Now the pick. Supporting actors like Lee Marvin, Richard Boone and Lee van Cleef.

Try wattching the Randolph Scott -Budd Boetticher Ranown cycle of westerns. All shot on location, all less than 80 minutes, no wasted words. The Tall T, Comanche Station and Seven Men Fron Now the pick. Supporting actors like Lee Marvin, Richard Boone and Lee van Cleef.
Thanks for the tips but I can't. The scars John Wayne left run too deep. The one thing I can never forgive my dad for. He thought Wayne was great, I couldn't stick him.

For me the best the chemistry Paul Newman and Robert Redford in this movie makes it worth watching on its own.

Did not watch it today (yet) but it is my most watched movie and despite having the DVD do every Christmas which for me it is almost as part of as Xmas pudding.

I saw this oddball Polish docu. at the cinema today (and I enjoyed it).
1680987512244.jpeg

I saw the directors cut of "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" at the cinema a real treat that lasted for 179 minutes.
Haven’t knowingly seen the directors cut, but a great film. The best of the trilogy, and I love the others so high praise

Thanks for the tips but I can't. The scars John Wayne left run too deep. The one thing I can never forgive my dad for. He thought Wayne was great, I couldn't stick him.
I know what you mean , I just don’t “get it” with John wayne ( and Richard burton). My dad also loved westerns , and western books and we used to watch them together loads ( thanks for bringing back some happy memories ). On the other hand, Lee can cleef, Charles bronson, Lee marvin, James coburn 😀

Fall- Netflix 2022
Two girls climb 2000ft radio mast and get stuck.
Lots of cliches , lots off “seen that before, or “that’s just dumb” (however having seen some stuff on Russian thrill seekers it seems nothing is off limits to some people)
HOWEVER
I really enjoyed it and even the wife started watching and liked it ( she doesn’t watch films)It’s really well filmed, they built a 100ft tower on top of a 2000ft plateau so much of it is clever camerawork and not green screen.
Several times I felt physically sick watching it.

So all in all, it’s not a great film and won’t be put forward for any awards on acting,screenplay etc but I would still very much recommend watching it.
A few little ‘didn’t see that coming’ moments which was good.

Saw William Wyler's 1953 Roman Holiday for the first time lat night on France's Arte TV channel.Enjoyable ,romantic film, if perhaps a little dated by today's standards.Must say I rather thought the ending referenced the ending of one of my all time favorite films,The Third Man.Quite posibly given that Dalton Trumbo was apparently the scriptwriter.Certainly the eternal city deserved a credit for the wonderful street scenes and the sight of Gregory Peck riding a Vespa.

Back