• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ Oct. 30 2006,12:14)]I can't imagine the likes of Lampard, Cole or Ferdinand have anything even remotely interesting to say and I'm not likely to find out as I won't be touching any of them with a bargepole.
You never know, FL might let it slip how he's conned the world he's one of it's best footballers when in reality he's about as cultured as Gordon Connolly with 2 left feet!
laugh.gif

From BBC Sport Football Gossip Column - 21/11/06

Arsenal fans have launched a campaign to boost sales of former cult hero Perry Groves' autobiography so it outsells that of Ashley Cole, who left Arsenal for Chelsea. (Mail)

Personally I think Perry Groves is an arrogant **** having witnessed him first hand in Col******r a few years back, but at the end of the day here's hoping the Arsenal fans campaign comes off, just to **** on Cashley Cole's chips
tounge.gif

As mentioned previously, Garry Nelsons two

Fred eyre-Kicked into touch is a great read about lower league football.

Roy Keane, Stan, Ian Wright were good reads, so was Jimmy Greaves.
Bob Wilsons book showed there are other things outside of football and how its not just about the superstars

Didn't even finish Bill Shankley's (despite the first Southend United reference by page 20 !)

I seem to recall the first Kevin Keegan biog likening playing at Roots Hall to playing at wembley to a lower league player .

I thoroughly enjoyed Tales from the Boot Camps by Steve Claridge and still find it amazing that he got away with playing football as a career for so long ... and that he hasn't gambled away his own life in a crazy bet against some Mongolian herder. A great read; definitely recommended.

Walking on Water by Brian Clough is an outstanding read; I was lent a signed copy by one of Cloughie's friends who lives here in Jávea ~  I think he agreed to part with such a treasured possession over the fourteenth pint of Guinness ~ and couldn't put it down; it was just so enjoyable.

I tried to read My Side by David Beckham but just can't get past the second chapter. It's so boring and dull, a bit like the man himself so I suppose it's been well-written to reflect his own character. However, I can definitely recommened El Becks : A Season in the Sun by Alex Leith as a fantastic account of Beckham's first season at Real Madrid. Why? Because the author isn't trying write a story specifically about Beckham; he uses the Beckham name (phenomena?) to travel the length and breadth of the country following the fortunes of Real Madrid and "exploring the centuries old rivalries and fierce underlying politics that define Spanish football". I can't stop reading it since I first bought it about two years ago. Try it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Oct. 30 2006,11:51)]Garry Nelson's books are a fascinating insight into what its like away from the premier$hite glare - I can't believe an Orient fan mentioned him before any of us.
One of these days you lot will stop being astounded by my genius....
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jonny_Stokes @ Nov. 21 2006,11:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Oct. 30 2006,11:51)]Garry Nelson's books are a fascinating insight into what its like away from the premier$hite glare - I can't believe an Orient fan mentioned him before any of us.
One of these days you lot will stop being astounded by the amount of time I spend on a Shrimpers messageboard
Maybe one day, but I can't see it myself.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Nov. 21 2006,12:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jonny_Stokes @ Nov. 21 2006,11:04)]
[b said:
One of these days you lot will stop being astounded by the amount of time I spend on a Shrimpers messageboard
Maybe one day, but I can't see it myself.
Hook, line & sinker!
Got to be happy with that one HKB!
laugh.gif

I have to say I didn't find it any good at all ~ somewhat laboured and the many attempts to tug at heartstrings made it quite painful.

how old is Ashley cole.. 24?? how can you write an autobiography, a life story, at such a young age?? Its pitthful!

Stan Collymore's book is the first book I have sat down and read the whole way through, thought it was cracking.

Getting Shaun Goater's for Christmas, can't wait.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ Nov. 21 2006,13:22)]Stan Collymore's book is the first book I have sat down and read the whole way through, thought it was cracking.

Getting Shaun Goater's for Christmas, can't wait.
Tsk, modern schooling today!!!!!!

laugh.gif

I dont know if anyone has read Terry Butchers book but it is possbily the most mind numbing experience I have ever had.

I met him in person with the ex Mrs DtS and he spent more time looking at her Charlies than he did signing my book.

wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Nov. 21 2006,14:00)]I dont know if anyone has read Terry Butchers book but it is possbily the most mind numbing experience I have ever had.

I met him in person with the ex Mrs DtS and he spent more time looking at her Charlies than he did signing my book.

wow.gif
To be fair Dave, I haven't seen the ex-Mrs DtS but you probably spent more time looking at your ex's charlies then you did reading his book.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Nov. 21 2006,14:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Nov. 21 2006,14:00)]I dont know if anyone has read Terry Butchers book but it is possbily the most mind numbing experience I have ever had.

wow.gif
To be fair Dave, I haven't seen the ex-Mrs DtS but you probably spent more time looking at your ex's charlies then you did reading his book.
Any of you that go out in Croydon on a regualr basis can have a good look in the fleash as the dirty bint is now working as a lap dancer in one of the mens clubs.

mad.gif
mad.gif

Collymore's is genuinely very good. Gives a very honest insight into his life, but i do feel theres too much about "Ulrikagate" and the like, but thats to be expected.

I thought Ulrika Johnson was an attention seeking so and so before i read the book, and am even more convinced. I wonder what the sympathisers would say if they heard Collymores side of the story...

Also gives some... interesting... insights into some of his team mates. Ian Wright being the tosser i think he is, and David James being a complete and utter nut job.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Nov. 21 2006,14:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Nov. 21 2006,14:07)]To be fair Dave, I haven't seen the ex-Mrs DtS but you probably spent more time looking at your ex's charlies then you did reading his book.
Any of you that go out in Croydon on a regualr basis can have a good look in the fleash as the dirty bint is now working as a lap dancer in one of the mens clubs.
Quality!

*digs out train-timetable to Croydon*

Which particular "ballet" establishment, Dave?

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 21 2006,15:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Nov. 21 2006,14:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Nov. 21 2006,14:07)]To be fair Dave, I haven't seen the ex-Mrs DtS but you probably spent more time looking at your ex's charlies then you did reading his book.
Quality!

*digs out train-timetable to Croydon*

Which particular "ballet" establishment, Dave?

laugh.gif
For your eyes only I think.....

Honestly well worth a tenner of anyone's money I can assure you.
upside.gif

Back