• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Formula One to return to BBC TV

Aberdeen Shrimper

The BBC has secured the television rights to show Formula One in the UK from the 2009 season.

The five-year deal marks the return of the sport to BBC screens 12 years after ITV began broadcasting Grands Prix.

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone said: "I am delighted to conclude this new deal with the BBC.

"It is an exciting time in Formula One and the BBC has some innovative new ideas to consolidate and expand our UK fan base."

The deal covers all platforms and will see F1 broadcast on the BBC Sport website, as well as on TV and radio.

Let us know what you think about F1 returning to the BBC.

At least us F1 fans wont have to put up with the bloody adverts just as an overtaking manoeuvre is happening or just as a car spins of the track at 150 mph

The BBC has secured the television rights to show Formula One in the UK from the 2009 season.

The five-year deal marks the return of the sport to BBC screens 12 years after ITV began broadcasting Grands Prix.

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone said: "I am delighted to conclude this new deal with the BBC.

"It is an exciting time in Formula One and the BBC has some innovative new ideas to consolidate and expand our UK fan base."

The deal covers all platforms and will see F1 broadcast on the BBC Sport website, as well as on TV and radio.

Let us know what you think about F1 returning to the BBC.

At least us F1 fans wont have to put up with the bloody adverts just as an overtaking manoeuvre is happening or just as a car spins of the track at 150 mph

Plus the great opening credit music is back!!

Good news from my point of view - completely agree that the adverts have been a big pain in the posterior!

OMG!!! This is the best thing to have happened to F1 for a long time. At last I can't stand it on ITV. Just hope they show the qualifying, cause as we all know ITV pawn it off to one of there other digital channels which my crappy freeview cannot pick up :(

Great news but I'm not sure what they will do about the commentary.

Brundle is a must but not James Allen! Murray Walker only has so many years left in him (to live) so I think its best BBC makes a clean break and looks to the future.

Outside of Brundle I think John Watson and Ben Edwards have always been a solid combo and they do a good job on A1Gp and they used to be good back in the days of F1 on Eurosport.

As for qualifying, I wouldn't be surprised if they "pawn it off" to BBC3 if they can't fit it on BBC2.

Oh and they must must must must keep the same theme music as before!

What about Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell maybe one of them to give a shot at the commentary.

Was just about to suggest Damon, I think he used to be quite involved before when it was on the Beeb.

And I wouldn't mind listening to him rabbit on through the race, so I think he would be one of the better options?? Unless they are taking Brundel and Blundel from ITV as part of the contract.

I'm not really an F1 fan, but it has always baffled me that ITV interrupted the "action" with ad breaks. They wouldn't do it with football.

Back