• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fossetts farm to start being built in june?

I dont think RM has ever got used to being a Football Chairman/property developer. As a property developer he would be very used to stretching the truth a tad, embelishing proposals, giving/hinting at non existant start dates to keep people off his back etc. The problem with combining this role with being the Club Chairman is that 8,000 people, as opposed to half a dozen, are directly involved, with many(quite rightly IMO) ready to shoot him down as deadline after deadline passes.
To be honest I think he tells us far too much and likes to hear himself talk, I just hope he does walk the walk - if not we are out of business.

I dont think RM has ever got used to being a Football Chairman/property developer. As a property developer he would be very used to stretching the truth a tad, embelishing proposals, giving/hinting at non existant start dates to keep people off his back etc. The problem with combining this role with being the Club Chairman is that 8,000 people, as opposed to half a dozen, are directly involved, with many(quite rightly IMO) ready to shoot him down as deadline after deadline passes.
To be honest I think he tells us far too much and likes to hear himself talk, I just hope he does walk the walk - if not we are out of business.

That's about how I see it. That last bit about telling us too much is a bit of treadmill he has got himself on unfortunately and I hope that if/when things to do start happening on FF he starts to back off from the whole blogs/official statements thing.

I'm pretty sure most if not all of this has been completed. Quite some time ago actually.

Certainly the pylons have been removed and cables layed underground. Pretty sure I saw the water and gas bods digging the road up around there as well...

I think once the Prospects deal is sorted. The fences and JCB's will be on-site pretty sharpish.

I'd be absolutely stunned if they had committed cash to completing these works with the amount of uncertainty surrounding the remainder of the loose ends at Roots Hall. Bear in mind, this will all be coming out of Ron Martin's pocket.

I'd be absolutely stunned if they had committed cash to completing these works with the amount of uncertainty surrounding the remainder of the loose ends at Roots Hall. Bear in mind, this will all be coming out of Sainsbury's pocket.

Edited for factual purposes ;)

I think this is all fantastic, we are no nearer now with getting a new stadium than we were under Uncle Vic, yet still still sttiiiiilll were all getting alittle bit jittery waiting for the first hole to be dug etc ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

brillinat keep up the good work people this and the potential targets thread are keeping me and my family fully amused at the mo, without the pleassure of seeing Scott Vernon tring to be a footballer

I don't think Fossetts Farm will ever happen, and have said that for some time, but saying that we're no closer than we were under Vic simply isn't true.

I don't think Fossetts Farm will ever happen, and have said that for some time, but saying that we're no closer than we were under Vic simply isn't true.

Beefy, as you seem to have been one of the more wiser voices on here during the last 12 months financial problems, I'm wondering if you don't think FF will happen, what future, if any, do you see for SUFC? Does Ron Martin repay the advance from Sainsburys on RH and we carry on at RH?

Depends on three key things for me...

1 - How quickly (or indeed if) a deal can be reached/closed out with Prospects
2 - If Ron has already done a deal on a fixed price with a Contractor, and if their lead-in time for mobilisation on site is fairly quick thereafter
3 - We won't actually see much physical work on the stadium per se if there are mains services beneath the site which require diversion. Can anybody confirm/deny this? If this is the case, you may have to rely on what are called 'statutory undertakers' (i.e. public/private service providers - people like BT, Thames Water etc..) to come in and complete the works first, and trust me, these guys are NEVER in a rush to start or complete works.

According to the responses of all three, the timeframes for taking posession of the site for construction works could vary wildly.
If Ron needs to tender for a Contractor for whatever reason, you could be looking at at least a couple of months for one to be appointed.
IIRC there were electricity pylons on site and the cables were diverted along Eastern Ave & Sutton Road. There are no gas mains on site, can't comment on water

Beefy, as you seem to have been one of the more wiser voices on here during the last 12 months financial problems, I'm wondering if you don't think FF will happen, what future, if any, do you see for SUFC? Does Ron Martin repay the advance from Sainsburys on RH and we carry on at RH?

I haven't got a clue. The only positive future I can see for us as a Club is if Ron can get us onsite and build us a new ground. Until anyone else comes out of the woodwork as a realistic alternative with a feasible plan for how to make a loss-making football club, with no assets, viable then the only hope we have is to pray that Ron doesn't drop any one of those financial bombs that he's going to have to keep juggling until we get to the new ground. I think with the economy the way that it is and the delays that we've had it's just going to be too much for him.

There's no easy option here. Staying where we are isn't an option unless Martin Dawn just decide to give us back the ground (and why would they do that?) and the only reason why we weren't at this exact stage nine years ago was because we had the potential of a new ground on the horizon.

With hindsight, the clever thing to do would have been to have gone into Administration in 1999(?). The moment that Jobson decided to sell the ground instead we found ourselves on this slope.

I too believe this will be more likely to happen, although I think that it's just as unlikely as the new stadium becoming a reality.

Sadly I'm a dreamer (like many) and hope that Uncle Ron does the business for us, and the new stadium launches us into a bright future. Full houses, Premiership football etc etc, it's what we all hope/dream about for our club, but realistically we are (and to a degree, always have and will be) more likely to end up being Blue Square Premier rather than Barclays Premier.

As much I really want to listen to my heart and give Ron a chance, my head says that as a businessman, he's just seen us as a massive opportunity to make some mega bucks, and once he's achieved what he set out to do, he'll eff off and leave us close to death. Once he's dotted the I's and crossed the T's on FF he'll take his cut, he'll then get his cut from RH, job done, money made, and then leave us in the hands of anyone, and most likely someone who can't afford to keep us going or complete FF, and we'll end up homeless and either be no more and end up ground sharing with Borient, Dagenham, or depending on what league we're in by then, maybe Chelmsford.

Our new stadium wont turn us into, or automatically enable us to emulate Reading, Wigan or Hull, as we lack a chairman who is passionate about this club and will put money in to make dreams a reality unlike those clubs, and although he or his company might have injected some cash, it's nowhere near the figure they'll get once the FF and RH deals are finalised.

I too believe this will be more likely to happen, although I think that it's just as unlikely as the new stadium becoming a reality.

Sadly I'm a dreamer (like many) and hope that Uncle Ron does the business for us, and the new stadium launches us into a bright future. Full houses, Premiership football etc etc, it's what we all hope/dream about for our club, but realistically we are (and to a degree, always have and will be) more likely to end up being Blue Square Premier rather than Barclays Premier.

As much I really want to listen to my heart and give Ron a chance, my head says that as a businessman, he's just seen us as a massive opportunity to make some mega bucks, and once he's achieved what he set out to do, he'll eff off and leave us close to death. Once he's dotted the I's and crossed the T's on FF he'll take his cut, he'll then get his cut from RH, job done, money made, and then leave us in the hands of anyone, and most likely someone who can't afford to keep us going or complete FF, and we'll end up homeless and either be no more and end up ground sharing with Borient, Dagenham, or depending on what league we're in by then, maybe Chelmsford.

Our new stadium wont turn us into, or automatically enable us to emulate Reading, Wigan or Hull, as we lack a chairman who is passionate about this club and will put money in to make dreams a reality unlike those clubs, and although he or his company might have injected some cash, it's nowhere near the figure they'll get once the FF and RH deals are finalised.

It is a nice post, but have you been in some sort of coma for awhile?

I haven't got a clue. The only positive future I can see for us as a Club is if Ron can get us onsite and build us a new ground. Until anyone else comes out of the woodwork as a realistic alternative with a feasible plan for how to make a loss-making football club, with no assets, viable then the only hope we have is to pray that Ron doesn't drop any one of those financial bombs that he's going to have to keep juggling until we get to the new ground. I think with the economy the way that it is and the delays that we've had it's just going to be too much for him.

There's no easy option here. Staying where we are isn't an option unless Martin Dawn just decide to give us back the ground (and why would they do that?) and the only reason why we weren't at this exact stage nine years ago was because we had the potential of a new ground on the horizon.

With hindsight, the clever thing to do would have been to have gone into Administration in 1999(?). The moment that Jobson decided to sell the ground instead we found ourselves on this slope.

But Sainsbury's naming themselves as co-developers of Fossets has changed everything. They clearly want Roots Hall very much, and to get it they have to usher SUFC into a Shinny New Stadium. Now they are commited to this whole project it isn't about RM juggling anymore, it's about Sainsbury's pulling RM's strings.

Sainsburys getting involved was an extremely positive step, but to be honest I'd have expected more progress on the Prospects issue by this stage (although I'm no expert on how long these things take). They want it to happen but that doesn't mean that it will happen. We've borrowed from next season's income to cover last seasons expenses and I worry about what will happen if we're not on site by the time that the next season kicks off.

Last edited:
would be nice to get an update every once in a while on how everythings going.

i clearly remember rm stating work would begin late june. considering it was a q & a pretty much questioning his running of the club anways it was a risking statement to say considering we all know the odds are against anything happening for quite some time.

Matty, I just checked my post of my notes taken at the Q and A session and I have noted 'on site in the summer' not June, I also checked some of the Q&A thread and others have also quoted Summer. No one corrected me on this at the time . I'm not saying he has not said June at some other time, but I don't think it weas at the Q&A

Either way he didn't promise that we'd be on site then. He said that that was the hope/plan.

Back