• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Friday Discussion - Academic Qualifications

Can't be arsed to read this thread, but I graduated today if anyone is interested :) Cap, gown, hood the works!

You do know that mead honey based or vodka is still a viable work round ;)

Though having just looke in my Quaran , its refers to basiclly not drinking to much of it and has been interpretation as to much how odd ?

Nah, I just stick to the brown or rocks. Works much better.

Indeed, congratulations. I didn't particularly enjoy my graduation ceremony, It was right at the beginning of August when we had that hot spell, so I'm walking around Brighton wearing thick robes, a hood and a silk cap... Then crammed into the Brighton Centre for 3 hours listening for that 5 seconds you're actually up there.

Good laugh the night before/after though...

Qualifications mean **** all. Left school before my GCSE's, returned to take them and then left again. I'm pretty satisfied with what i've acheived since, whilst all the mongs who went a-levels, uni etc are only earning say £30k a year working their nuts off for 40 hours a week.

Qualifications mean **** all. Left school before my GCSE's, returned to take them and then left again. I'm pretty satisfied with what i've acheived since, whilst all the mongs who went a-levels, uni etc are only earning say £30k a year working their nuts off for 40 hours a week.

Completely depends on your line of work. Over the years I have interviewed several hundred people and have sifted through literally thousands of CV's. Everyone looks at CV's differently. To me the most important thing is the covering letter, or something that makes them stand out If I have 10 CV's in front of me with similar experiecne then I am looking for the one point that makes a candidate stand out . It is incredible how many don't bother wioth covering letters, don't bother to change their CV to meet the requiremtns of the job, don't bother, or don't realise that they should put an executive summary at the top telling me why they are perfect for the role.

A load of agencies give out crap info to candidates. I have interviewed people who ahve reprsented England at swimming, rowing and ice skating. The agencies said don't put it on the CV its not relevant . IT is bloody relevant, it shows commitement, it shows an ability to learn , it shows they are 'winners' s and most importantly it makes them different/better to every other CV i have in my pile

Completely depends on your line of work. Over the years I have interviewed several hundred people and have sifted through literally thousands of CV's. Everyone looks at CV's differently. To me the most important thing is the covering letter, or something that makes them stand out If I have 10 CV's in front of me with similar experiecne then I am looking for the one point that makes a candidate stand out . It is incredible how many don't bother wioth covering letters, don't bother to change their CV to meet the requiremtns of the job, don't bother, or don't realise that they should put an executive summary at the top telling me why they are perfect for the role.

A load of agencies give out crap info to candidates. I have interviewed people who ahve reprsented England at swimming, rowing and ice skating. The agencies said don't put it on the CV its not relevant . IT is bloody relevant, it shows commitement, it shows an ability to learn , it shows they are 'winners' s and most importantly it makes them different/better to every other CV i have in my pile
I don't see how the first line relates to the rest of what you said? But I agree with it all. My work is in a field dominated by those with degrees, and quite frankly my lack of spending 5 years up my own arse, and instead developing common sense, is my strong point.

I don't see how the first line relates to the rest of what you said? But I agree with it all. My work is in a field dominated by those with degrees, and quite frankly my lack of spending 5 years up my own arse, and instead developing common sense, is my strong point.

As common sense is a byword for learned experience in relation to specific cultural and social ideals , its not always that relevant in every situation.

No degree for me and I've managed plenty of people far more qualified than myself. This is a bit of a generalisation but I've come across two types of graduates - those who accept that their degree counts for little once they're in the workplace and those who think it gives them a divine right to success. I even had one idiot (a temp) who asked me what university I went to, when I told him I didn't he looked down his nose at me and said "then why are you managing me?". I sacked him a month or so later (not because of that comment, because he was useless).

No degree for me and I've managed plenty of people far more qualified than myself. This is a bit of a generalisation but I've come across two types of graduates - those who accept that their degree counts for little once they're in the workplace and those who think it gives them a divine right to success. I even had one idiot (a temp) who asked me what university I went to, when I told him I didn't he looked down his nose at me and said "then why are you managing me?". I sacked him a month or so later (not because of that comment, because he was useless).

Typical graduate attitude unfortunately. Problem is, it rubs up seniors, colleagues and customers the wrong way... leading to one outcome!

Back