• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Froch vs Groves

Much improved from Carl, his Jab and timing more or less nullified Groves speed. Everyone talks about Groves technical ability, but Froch was excellent last night. And that's before that finish.

Atmosphere re was excellent as well, although the boos for Khan was almost as loud as anything for the fighters. Good job Wembley doesn't have a roof though, as it would of been blown off when Froch delivered the KO.

GBJ: I think you owe me bragging rights ;)

Much improved from Carl, his Jab and timing more or less nullified Groves speed. Everyone talks about Groves technical ability, but Froch was excellent last night. And that's before that finish.

Atmosphere re was excellent as well, although the boos for Khan was almost as loud as anything for the fighters. Good job Wembley doesn't have a roof though, as it would of been blown off when Froch delivered the KO.

GBJ: I think you owe me bragging rights ;)

Okay, he we go... Props to you mate, you called it, hope you had a few quid on it.

First, Credit to Froch, he performed very well & capped it off with a killer shot. For whatever reason, Groves wasn't the same last night, as he was in the first fight & Froch capitalised on that. FWIW, in the stadium I thought the fight was level. Neither really outshone the other and there were a few rounds which you could have given to either fighter. I'll have to rewatch it though.

Atmosphere was electric, the noise was deafening at times. The View wasn't great, but then I didn't expect much in a football stadium.

Not really sure where either fighter goes now. Froch wants a Vegas showdown, which can only mean a rematch with Ward (highly unlikely IMO) or JCC (highly likely). He definitely doesn't want no part of GGG & a fight with DeGale wouldn't sell in America.

Groves, I just don't know at the moment. Domestic scraps with the likes of Rocky Fielding perhaps? Rematches with Paul Smith or Kenny Anderson (once his ban is up)??

NeedyChillyKudu.gif

Okay, he we go... Props to you mate, you called it, hope you had a few quid on it.

First, Credit to Froch, he performed very well & capped it off with a killer shot. For whatever reason, Groves wasn't the same last night, as he was in the first fight & Froch capitalised on that. FWIW, in the stadium I thought the fight was level. Neither really outshone the other and there were a few rounds which you could have given to either fighter. I'll have to rewatch it though.

Atmosphere was electric, the noise was deafening at times. The View wasn't great, but then I didn't expect much in a football stadium.

Not really sure where either fighter goes now. Froch wants a Vegas showdown, which can only mean a rematch with Ward (highly unlikely IMO) or JCC (highly likely). He definitely doesn't want no part of GGG & a fight with DeGale wouldn't sell in America.

Groves, I just don't know at the moment. Domestic scraps with the likes of Rocky Fielding perhaps? Rematches with Paul Smith or Kenny Anderson (once his ban is up)??

Yeah I had a couple of quid on a stoppage plus the eigth. Agree, not the same Groves, for me this time, because he was so successful with the mind games last time around, he focussed on that too much, and actually wasn't as good in the ring.

I had Froch 5-2 up, but I admit, that at least two of those Froch rounds were close enough to go either way, and vice versa for Groves. But Froch's jab was excellent, and his timing was too, it went a long way to nullifying Groves speed, and left him looking like he had no b game.

Ditto on the atmosphere and view, although we managed to crash in the vacated press area, so had little tables with SKY monitors!

I think Froch has one more fight, but don't think he'll get his Vegas shot, he'll fight DeGale and earna decent wedge in the UK, whilst boxing is in it's purple patch of popularity and probably retire to marry Rachael. Actually, he could take on Bika and try and get one more belt, that could be his way in to Vegas? Bika has been mouthing off at press conferences that he wants a shot at the winner. Problem is, he'll be inundated with mandatories.

George still has a decent career in front of him. ward had already offered him a fight, and he has two (albeit) failed world title fights on his resume. His stock has definitely risen. I think a domestic dust up would be a backwards step, even Rocky fielding, a dangerous opponent. Groves is high up on all bar the WBC rankings, so take advantage, I'd even try and push ahead of Smith in aiming for Abraham, a fight against Dirrell, would put him in place for that, but also shoot him up the WBC ranking, closer to Bika, should Froch ignore him. Gilberto Ramirez is a name I've heard in both division's too, he seems to be highly ranked, I don't know anything about him though. He's still a good boxer, so should continue to aim high, just concentrate on the gym this time.

Edit: Just looked up Ramirez, turns out he's an unbeaten 22 year old prospect. Maybe not the best of opponents's for a bounce back fight, nor Dirrell really, but that's what he should be aiming for, maybe two fights down the line.

Last edited:
Yeah I had a couple of quid on a stoppage plus the eigth.

Nice. I had a "few" quid on a Groves stoppage

Agree, not the same Groves, for me this time, because he was so successful with the mind games last time around, he focussed on that too much, and actually wasn't as good in the ring.

I had Froch 5-2 up, but I admit, that at least two of those Froch rounds were close enough to go either way, and vice versa for Groves. But Froch's jab was excellent, and his timing was too, it went a long way to nullifying Groves speed, and left him looking like he had no b game.

Dont get me wrong, apart from the one glaring error, where he came square on, I don't think Groves made too many mistakes, he just didn't have that intensity and pressure like the first fight. Considering the punch stats I'm shocked you could get such a wide score!! Froch himself, only thought he was 1-2 points up. Based on punch stats i think it's hard not to put groves marginally ahead. Not that it really matters anyway lol, but it's lucky it didn't go to points, as I believe we'd have an even more controversial finish than the first.

Ditto on the atmosphere and view, although we managed to crash in the vacated press area, so had little tables with SKY monitors!

Always sweet when things like that happen. Just adds to the whole buzz of it. We had a good time in VIP section, we had as many free drinks as we wanted :)

I think Froch has one more fight, but don't think he'll get his Vegas shot, he'll fight DeGale and earna decent wedge in the UK, whilst boxing is in it's purple patch of popularity and probably retire to marry Rachael. Actually, he could take on Bika and try and get one more belt, that could be his way in to Vegas? Bika has been mouthing off at press conferences that he wants a shot at the winner. Problem is, he'll be inundated with mandatories.

George still has a decent career in front of him. ward had already offered him a fight, and he has two (albeit) failed world title fights on his resume. His stock has definitely risen. I think a domestic dust up would be a backwards step, even Rocky fielding, a dangerous opponent. Groves is high up on all bar the WBC rankings, so take advantage, I'd even try and push ahead of Smith in aiming for Abraham, a fight against Dirrell, would put him in place for that, but also shoot him up the WBC ranking, closer to Bika, should Froch ignore him. Gilberto Ramirez is a name I've heard in both division's too, he seems to be highly ranked, I don't know anything about him though. He's still a good boxer, so should continue to aim high, just concentrate on the gym this time.

Edit: Just looked up Ramirez, turns out he's an unbeaten 22 year old prospect. Maybe not the best of opponents's for a bounce back fight, nor Dirrell really, but that's what he should be aiming for, maybe two fights down the line.

For Froch, I don't think you can look past a bout with JCC in Vegas. Possibly with DeGale on the undercard & a showdown with those two next summer.

As for groves, I'm worried about his mental stability. Lots of fighters lose that edge after losing (especially in the manner it's happened to groves)

Back