• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just donated, makes me sick to my stomach that what should have been a great and fun day out has ended in tragedy and caused such grief to his family.

I am sure that we all hope that he pulls through but that won't lessen or take away the grief that they have felt to date, it's times like this when the football world pulls together.

I am still failing to understand the collective hand-wringing regarding this incident. I am sure that Mr Dobbin's family are going through hell, and I would not want to be in their position for one moment, neither do I condone those who injured him so grievously. However, there is no evidence to suggest that this is anymore than an act of thuggery, similar to countless assaults that take place every weekend in every town centre in Britain, and we are not collecting money for every poor ******* who takes a kicking from a bunch of ****ed up toerags.

If we accept the newspaper version, and this was retribution for the earlier incidents in the Spread (and I very much doubt that), then I would also postulate that the media portrayal of Mr Dobbin as an innocent shirt wearing fan who was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time is at best, misleading. From the pictures that we have seen, he was not wearing colours, and though he hardly looks to be a 'dresser', he looks to be closer to the latter than a 'shirter', he also looks like he's had a few adult beverages. I would guess that he and his friend were at the very least 'loud' and possibly provocative outside the Railway, judging by what happened next. I don't believe a group of people would leave their drinks to assault passers by who are walking quietly with their heads down. The assault is obviously disproportionate to the assumed provocation, and nobody deserves to be on the brink of death for showing out a little. I am of course speculating, but I would suspect that I'm closer to the mark than the accepted narrative on this.

I don't think we should do anything until his situation is resolved (hopefully with a good outcome). I'd like to know more about the circumstances as well. Imagine the uproar if it turned out that the guys responsible for him getting beaten up were among those clapping for a minute in support of him.

The cases mentioned in this thread where other clubs have done this at an appropriate minute in the match are, unless I'm mistaken, clear-cut cases of illness or death.

Also, if this were to go ahead, it'd need to be communicated well. I imagine a poorly supported gesture could have the opposite effect to that which is intended.
We have had a minute applause before when many have had no idea what it is for. That has not stopped them joining in wholeheartedly. Sometimes ( not seen enough) people can ,apply common sense and decency. This would be very well supprted in my opinion and very much appreciated by the family judging by his sister's comments.

I am still failing to understand the collective hand-wringing regarding this incident. I am sure that Mr Dobbin's family are going through hell, and I would not want to be in their position for one moment, neither do I condone those who injured him so grievously. However, there is no evidence to suggest that this is anymore than an act of thuggery, similar to countless assaults that take place every weekend in every town centre in Britain, and we are not collecting money for every poor ******* who takes a kicking from a bunch of ****ed up toerags.

If we accept the newspaper version, and this was retribution for the earlier incidents in the Spread (and I very much doubt that), then I would also postulate that the media portrayal of Mr Dobbin as an innocent shirt wearing fan who was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time is at best, misleading. From the pictures that we have seen, he was not wearing colours, and though he hardly looks to be a 'dresser', he looks to be closer to the latter than a 'shirter', he also looks like he's had a few adult beverages. I would guess that he and his friend were at the very least 'loud' and possibly provocative outside the Railway, judging by what happened next. I don't believe a group of people would leave their drinks to assault passers by who are walking quietly with their heads down. The assault is obviously disproportionate to the assumed provocation, and nobody deserves to be on the brink of death for showing out a little. I am of course speculating, but I would suspect that I'm closer to the mark than the accepted narrative on this.

thank god the majority don't have the same views as you. Yes we don't know the full facts but I am struggling to think of a set of facts that mean that I do not have complete sympathy for Simon and his family. Yes bad things happen every day, we all choose what charities and causes we donate time and money to. I would rather people helped when they could rather than do nothing. .I can only imagine the hurt your comments would make to the family if they were to read them.

thank god the majority don't have the same views as you. Yes we don't know the full facts but I am struggling to think of a set of facts that mean that I do not have complete sympathy for Simon and his family. Yes bad things happen every day, we all choose what charities and causes we donate time and money to. I would rather people helped when they could rather than do nothing. .I can only imagine the hurt your comments would make to the family if they were to read them.

I clearly stated that I have sympathy for his family and that he didn't deserve what had happened to him. And are you so certain that 'the majority' think as you do?

I'm astounded by the tone of your response. You are replying as if you are in possession of the facts (which none of us are). But you are forgetting the most important issue (other than Mr Dobbin is injured), is the fact that his wife and children may be without a Husband and Father for the rest of their lives. By the he way I have donated. I hope you have too? They don't need comments like this right now.

I clearly stated that I have sympathy for his family and that he didn't deserve what had happened to him. And are you so certain that 'the majority' think as you do?

You may care to see the article in the Echo today. The police state that the guy was 'a completely innocent victim who was simply trying to make his way home'. Their words, not mine. I have no reason to doubt what they are saying, and I do think the majority on here agree with United we stand, I certainly do.

I'm astounded by the tone of your response. You are replying as if you are in possession of the facts (which none of us are). But you are forgetting the most important issue (other than Mr Dobbin is injured), is the fact that his wife and children may be without a Husband and Father for the rest of their lives. By the he way I have donated. I hope you have too? They don't need comments like this right now.

I believe that my use of the words 'speculate' and 'postulate' implies that I am not in possession of all the facts and neither am I claiming to be. I have not donated and I do not intend to.

You may care to see the article in the Echo today. The police state that the guy was 'a completely innocent victim who was simply trying to make his way home'. Their words, not mine. I have no reason to doubt what they are saying, and I do think the majority on here agree with United we stand, I certainly do.

And how did the police come to this conclusion? They are appealing for witnesses, so it would appear that they are guessing, as we all are. I'm just guessing with a little cynicism.

And how did the police come to this conclusion? They are appealing for witnesses, so it would appear that they are guessing, as we all are. I'm just guessing with a little cynicism.

Not really a lot of point asking me that question. They had no need to make that statement, but they did. Obviously, you are entitled to your opinion, I just find it more than a little provocative for no real reason. So I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I believe that my use of the words 'speculate' and 'postulate' implies that I am not in possession of all the facts and neither am I claiming to be. I have not donated and I do not intend to.

Speculating and postulating. And the point of that is? Instigate debate? Behave.

I believe it's very common to accept one view of an incident without questioning that view. I'm not sure if mindless acceptance of a particular narrative is altogether decent.

It's not mindless but just accepting that there are a few innocent victims here (i.e. His family) who probably could do without reading your opinions at this time. (And if it was my Dad I'd be searching forums like this for any crumb of evidence ).

maybe a little sensitivity ? Remember there but by the grace of god go us all

I thought my original post on this thread was quite sensitive. I made it quite clear that I had sympathy for Mr Dobbin's family and that I didn't condone in any way what had happened to him. He doesn't have to be an angel to deserve sympathy, does he?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back