• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Furious Southend United fans locked team out Roots Hall following big defeat at Colchester United (2020)

This whole incident is shameful. Imagine having a hard time at work and coming home to a baying mob. What impact would that have on your mental health or confidence to do your job or improve your performance.

We live in a world where mental illness is at the forefront, however a small minority believe it’s acceptable to bully and harass a group of mainly young individuals if they don’t like what they’ve seen or if a performance isn’t up to their expectations.

I’m sure every player in that coach was feeling extremely disappointed by the Col U result and knows things must improve, but in my experience the way to lift anyone who’s going through a very low period is to give encouragement and support. Not slamming their faces in the dirt and making them feel totally worthless.

Shame on those individuals involved.
The difference is we dont know how u perform at your job but with a professional football team its in the media and we know the results.And normally we would pay to be entertained and to see good results.A professional footballer knows this and just comes with the job title! It is what it is and they have to expect fans to criticise.

The difference is we dont know how u perform at your job but with a professional football team its in the media and we know the results.And normally we would pay to be entertained and to see good results.A professional footballer knows this and just comes with the job title! It is what it is and they have to expect fans to criticise.
Criticise yes, lock the gates of the club on property they dont own? Problay not, have objects thrown at the vehicle they are in? Probably not either.

For me that went far to far and i hope the cameras that are around the car park an din the club shop picked up faces (likely not social distancing) and they are reported.

Massively dissapointed in the team for sure but even more so by our own fans

If peoples work colleagues turned up at someone’s property (they would know how someone works and at what levels) and decided to pelt you with eggs and lock you out of your property, I am guessing People would not like that.

Hry ho each to their own i guess, world gets stranger as the years go by

Last edited:
So, what would those condemning have done to make it plain as day how fans feel?
I'm not talking about ranting on here, or writing to Ron.
Something else that would have drawn the same national reaction/impact without the omelette and lock?

Fans can't go to games; Ron is mostly inaccessible, despite his protestations, and protests anywhere are against the law. So, what's left?

Artist Tracy Emin reckons: 'the squeakiest wheels get the most oil'.
Substitute egg for oil.

Last edited:
To be honest it wasn't really the young lads on the coach's fault was it. They were on the end of a men against boys miss-match. It was the result of months and years of pent up frustration at the club in general.

I'm shell-shocked by this - I've been trying to resist posting my frustration but finally I've cracked.

Having finally poached Weymouth's manager and coach and whisked up some supporter enthusiasm, a few weeks pass and Ron Martin now finds himself in a scramble to avoid the drop otherwise he will be fried.

Said manager should have parked the bus at Colchester and locked their attack out to deprive them of the eggstacy of beating their local rivals.

This club is now rotten to the core and it leaves a bad smell everywhere.
[/QUOTE)

Feel like we’ve gone off the boil under MM. Maybe we should have gone for Currie ?

Did the yellow and white stuff running down the window and the window with a brand new hole in it now give you a clue?.
pS: I was on that train in Athens (after we won 2-0?) and the police had their riot shields on the windows inside the train to protect us all if I’m not wrong. Mad old times.
No riot shields where we were in the carriage, teenage lad with his dad next to us had one come through the window and hit him on the head. You get my point then that teenagers in a coach not expecting any object to be thrown at it won’t know what’s coming next.

I have to say that I am pretty disgusting and disappointed by this moronic behaviour, especially given the youngsters on that coach, who are willing to play, but in all honesty are too young and too inexperienced to handle the position they find themselves in. The fact is, this was a nothing game, with nothing to play for except getting it out of the way, and getting some much needed match time for a few of them. The result, though a hefty loss, was not important. If it had been a friendly against Braintree, which would be as equally unimportant, would you still lock them out of the ground and chuck eggs...?

I will say it again. This mess IS NOT THEIR FAULT! This is totally on the chairman, so he is the person to get angry at, not the players, or the manager and his team for that matter!

In my humble opinion, anyone who condones this abuse of our young squad doesn't deserve to call themselves fans. I know people are upset about how this season is panning out, even before we lose 6-1 to ColU. But, showing this sort of childish behaviour is worse than the team losing. I am ashamed to be a Southend fan if that is the sort of thing people want us to be associated with.

What if that was your 17 or 20 year old son, trying to build a career in a notoriously cut throat environment? What if it pushes that same talented kid to give up, and it ruins his career before it even gets going? What if he is already struggling and it pushes him over the edge...? What if he really cant deal, and it ends in tragedy...?

This squad are wholly aware that their performances are not good enough, they dont need a stupid bunch of w**kers setting up childish protests to tell them.

I am beyond furious about this.

I have to say that I am pretty disgusting and disappointed by this moronic behaviour, especially given the youngsters on that coach, who are willing to play, but in all honesty are too young and too inexperienced to handle the position they find themselves in. The fact is, this was a nothing game, with nothing to play for except getting it out of the way, and getting some much needed match time for a few of them. The result, though a hefty loss, was not important. If it had been a friendly against Braintree, which would be as equally unimportant, would you still lock them out of the ground and chuck eggs...?

I will say it again. This mess IS NOT THEIR FAULT! This is totally on the chairman, so he is the person to get angry at, not the players, or the manager and his team for that matter!

In my humble opinion, anyone who condones this abuse of our young squad doesn't deserve to call themselves fans. I know people are upset about how this season is panning out, even before we lose 6-1 to ColU. But, showing this sort of childish behaviour is worse than the team losing. I am ashamed to be a Southend fan if that is the sort of thing people want us to be associated with.

What if that was your 17 or 20 year old son, trying to build a career in a notoriously cut throat environment? What if it pushes that same talented kid to give up, and it ruins his career before it even gets going? What if he is already struggling and it pushes him over the edge...? What if he really cant deal, and it ends in tragedy...?

This squad are wholly aware that their performances are not good enough, they dont need a stupid bunch of w**kers setting up childish protests to tell them.

Well if that was my 17 year old or 20 year old son id be telling them to find another career!! Nobe of those southend youngsters are good enough and results have proven that.They have been given chance after chance and they are not proving they are good enough to play professional football.

Last edited:
Well if that was my 17 year old or 20 year old son id be telling them to find another career!! Nobe of those southend youngsters are good enough and results have proven that.They have been given chance after chance and they are not proving they are good enough to play professional football.

I can only hope you either don’t have kids yet or don’t have them in the future.

I mean I can pretty safely assume you don’t already have them because if you did you’d have a little better understanding of supporting them caring for them and protecting them instead of that callous remark.

I can only hope if you have kids in the future you remember this and look back and realise that you just had no understanding at this time.

I can only hope you either don’t have kids yet or don’t have them in the future.

I mean I can pretty safely assume you don’t already have them because if you did you’d have a little better understanding of supporting them caring for them and protecting them instead of that callous remark.

I can only hope if you have kids in the future you remember this and look back and realise that you just had no understanding at this time.
I just want the best for southend united and this group of youngsters arent the future of the club,most will be lucky to make non league! Harsh but true.wouldent u agree they have had many chances not just this season but last to?

I just want the best for southend united and this group of youngsters arent the future of the club,most will be lucky to make non league! Harsh but true.wouldent u agree they have had many chances not just this season but last to?

No I wouldn’t.

Which of these young players had plenty of chances last season?

Young players take varying times and ages to improve and develop and reach their full potential mainly physically and tactically but also psychologically and emotionally.

Get that wrong or expose to often too early and the damage can be irreparable.

I’m not judging who will and who won’t make it eventually, I have my own thoughts on that and I may be wrong or I may be right but judging them on right now in this environment isn’t fair and I’d venture as far as saying you’d be far from qualified or experienced in youth development in or out of elite sport to judge it?

So how about we let the people at the club decide that for us and we go about trying to support them as best we can?

No I wouldn’t.

Which of these young players had plenty of chances last season?

Young players take varying times and ages to improve and develop and reach their full potential mainly physically and tactically but also psychologically and emotionally.

Get that wrong or expose to often too early and the damage can be irreparable.

I’m not judging who will and who won’t make it eventually, I have my own thoughts on that and I may be wrong or I may be right but judging them on right now in this environment isn’t fair and I’d venture as far as saying you’d be far from qualified or experienced in youth development in or out of elite sport to judge it?

So how about we let the people at the club decide that for us and we go about trying to support them as best we can?
I think results will decide if they are good enough for professional football.most or nearly all of the 23s from last season have now been given an opportunity either in league 1 and now in league 2.I think a relegation last year and now bottom with no wins from 15 tell most people they arent good enough! U cant honestly tell me any of our youngsters inuding kelmen and Hutchinson are any good? Selling those 2 was the best bit of business by ron ever.

Last edited:

If my son had turned in 11 performances like that, me and the missus would be pelting him with eggs as he came up the drive

If my son had turned in 11 performances like that, me and the missus would be pelting him with eggs as he came up the drive

But the team that played against Col U included a different set of youngsters. The ones that haven't broken into the first team yet. Why take it out on them ?

Back