• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Furious Southend United fans locked team out Roots Hall following big defeat at Colchester United (2020)

I find this makes me particularly sad. I'm embarrassed that people think that a game of football played badly justifies this sort of threatening behaviour. I'd be embarrassed if it was done to our senior squad. I'm even more so because the team on the night had so many players who weren't regulars and were youngsters.

How sad and pathetic do you have to be to do something like this? Anyone who was chucking eggs at that coach needs to go and spend some time trying to develop a sense of proportion. And some basic human empathy.

I love this team and I have done for more than 40 years. But for ****'s sake, it's just a game of football.

Shame ifollow didn’t cover Roots Hall gates and Car park instead of the embarrassment of the Lego Stadium, Col U looked decent on a similar budget. As for the eggs, harmless like our attack.......these players can’t even control a football.......who ever actually thought they would make footballers needs to resign!

Because I watch what's going on right now around me in this country.
Bit harsh that fella, some shops round my way banned the sale of eggs and flour to youngsters which means that if had to be people over the age of 18 at least. The noose is tightening on these yobbos, I’d bring back the birch myself, make example of the old gits.

the youngsters could not know if it was eggs or bricks. I'm sure quite an unnerving experience. I get the frustration and gate locking but causing damage and cost with intimidation of youngsters .... No use to anyone
Greatest of respect from an age of a lot younger than 20-21 I knew the different between an egg and a brick ...

Agree with this.

I can’t really put too much blame on these players tbh. It’s not their fault they’re out of their depth. They’re all we have at the end of the day.

Forget this notion that another manager could get more out of them, as that’s just not the case at this point in time. I don’t wanna hear about how Sol got them playing, or what an experienced guy might have brought to the table, the truth is that for most of these players, this is the pinnacle of their careers... and that goes for more “senior” players too, not just the youngsters.

Egging the coach isn’t exactly helpful, and not something I’m condoning, but it’s hardly a Besiktas or Lazio style response either. It’s just a waste of eggs if I’m honest.

Will it make these players play better? Absolutely not. Will it make MM study the data any harder? I doubt it. But it does show Ron Martin - in case there was any doubt left - that the fans are close to breaking point, and simply will not tolerate this for much longer.

Please Ron, no more stories. No more tales. We see right through it. Take some responsibility. Hold your hands up & say, I’ve ****ed up, but I’m working on it. Show us that you’ve acknowledged your mistakes & you’re going hell for leather to put them right. Please, ffs.

It’s probably a godsend for him that fans aren’t allowed into the stadium right now. The attendances would have plummeted & the response to some of these performances would have been vitriolic to say the least.

I’m not expecting us to be a footballing powerhouse or challenge for titles... All I want is for us to function like a proper club for a change. Being skint is understandable, but being under an embargo for a year, is not.
We should be challenging for titles especially in league 2! We are a big club in this league with a great fan base and massive potential.We shouldn't be having to suffer like we are.

Greatest of respect from an age of a lot younger than 20-21 I knew the different between an egg and a brick ...
As a travelling England supporter for many years I’ve experienced being ‘egged’ on a bus in Glasgow and ‘bricked’ on a train in Athens. I can tell you from my experience it’s hard to tell the difference from a noise and general panic perspective. It’s quite obvious to the person throwing the eggs but to the young lads on the coach not expecting anything at all to be thrown at it they won’t have known what the hell was going on.

I personally find this report embarrassing for our club, even on top of the constant embarrassment we have to suffer on and off the pitch.

As a travelling England supporter for many years I’ve experienced being ‘egged’ on a bus in Glasgow and ‘bricked’ on a train in Athens. I can tell you from my experience it’s hard to tell the difference from a noise and general panic perspective. It’s quite obvious to the person throwing the eggs but to the young lads on the coach not expecting anything at all to be thrown at it they won’t have known what the hell was going on.

I personally find this report embarrassing for our club, even on top of the constant embarrassment we have to suffer on and off the pitch.
Did the yellow and white stuff running down the window and the window with a brand new hole in it now give you a clue?.
pS: I was on that train in Athens (after we won 2-0?) and the police had their riot shields on the windows inside the train to protect us all if I’m not wrong. Mad old times.

We should be challenging for titles especially in league 2! We are a big club in this league with a great fan base and massive potential.We shouldn't be having to suffer like we are.
We have no divine right to be challenging for anything. We have spent our entire existence flitting between leagues 1 and 2 with an very occasional interlude in the Championship. Our current record, both on and off the pitch, suggests we are not a big club and we're suffering now more than ever before. I make you right on the great fan base though.

This whole incident is shameful. Imagine having a hard time at work and coming home to a baying mob. What impact would that have on your mental health or confidence to do your job or improve your performance.

We live in a world where mental illness is at the forefront, however a small minority believe it’s acceptable to bully and harass a group of mainly young individuals if they don’t like what they’ve seen or if a performance isn’t up to their expectations.

I’m sure every player in that coach was feeling extremely disappointed by the Col U result and knows things must improve, but in my experience the way to lift anyone who’s going through a very low period is to give encouragement and support. Not slamming their faces in the dirt and making them feel totally worthless.

Shame on those individuals involved.

Last edited:
I think locking the gates is quite funny, harmless and makes a point. Throwing things at anyone or anything is quite different though, I can imagine that being quite scary and it really is only a game. Hopefully MM is right, and Saturday will show him to be a master tactician.

Funny? I don't. I think it is childish, almost as childish as the team we put out.

I don't think the protest was against the youth players but more likely the manager, think yourself lucky Ron that we are in not allowed in the ground, we the fan's have just had enough.

So then direct the protest at the people you're protesting against, not a bunch of kids who have nothing to do with it.

I would explain to him that if he followed in the footsteps of most of his colleagues this would be a regular thing and if you worked hard then the same fans would be clapping you on and off the coach.

that good enough for you clever clogs?.
I was merely admiring the mans intelligence.
Does calling him clever clogs have to be taken the wrong way?.

Well many thanks for calling me clever clogs and admiring my intelligence, it really is much appreciated. :ROFL: I still think this shouldn't have been aimed at a team bus after a match in a tournament we were already out of and filled with many youngsters not ready for professional football.

If it puts Ron Martin in an uncomfortable position then fine by me. He has caused the locking gate, the eggs etc. and he deserves a damn sight more to come......every sickening statement he blames everyone else accept himself, ex managers, players but never HIMSELF..........

That's my favourite post of yours ever

I think it SHOULD be embarrassing for our club.
I'm hoping everyone reads that Southend fans are fed up to the back teeth of two seasons plus of getting beaten.
We are not Macclesfield or Bury; we have decent average gates of 6,000, but we are left with a team that's so bad we expect to lose every game, even against Boreham Wood while getting fobbed off with head-in-the-sand statements from the top.
Right or wrong, everyone now knows that patience has run out.

My fear about something like this is that bigger clubs such as Spurs and Arsenal will see their talent not being supported / protected and therefore not lend them to us. Let's be honest staying up could come down to just a few points that these could be the difference of.

My fear about something like this is that bigger clubs such as Spurs and Arsenal will see their talent not being supported / protected and therefore not lend them to us. Let's be honest staying up could come down to just a few points that these could be the difference of.

I think this will become a given.

i have the answer to our terrible form if someone on here can contact zone member [ cultist of sooty ] ask him to drive to walsall then as the team leave the coach wave your magic wand over the players . this will solve our away form. as for the chances of chairman ron waving a cheque around to solve our problems my money will be on sooty !

Ron's more likely to sue.

Funnily enough so have I ... also being hit by a metal bar ( which I realised there and then wasn’t a cucumber )

Back