• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Game of thrones -season 8

I thought that at 1st but later there it unsullied standing in in the snow in a courtyard of ruins, unless the ash has left a white snow like carpet.

So all those killed by Danny come back to life? Cool, that's one big motha-funkin curve ball.

I thought that at 1st but later there it unsullied standing in in the snow in a courtyard of ruins, unless the ash has left a white snow like carpet.

I’m going to rewatch that bit tonight... I didn’t pick up on that

For the third episode in a row I was massively underwhelmed.

The cinematography was shocking for episode 3, but they got it spot on last night, with some simply spectacular scenes.

And that’s about it. I can’t really muster up any more excitement for the episode.

- Dany’s heel-turn has been rushed & non-sensical.

- Why did Jaime leave Cersei in the first place? His whole character arc of redemption & reinvention has just been made to look stupid

- What was the point in Cersei’s prophecy? Or her pregnancy? Her’s and jaime’s deaths were crap, and not deserving of the stature of characters, they were.

- Tyrion grassing up Varys made no sense, nor did Varys’ actions. The Master Of Whispers, suddenly becomes The Master Of blabbing - loudly - to anyone willing to listen.

- Even CleganeBowl, which admittedly was shot well, felt like a let down.

Some parts of the final season have been good. But overall, they’re in danger of ruining one of the best tv series of all time. I know it was always gunna be hard to top what they’d done so far, but Jesus Christ, it feels like this final season has been written by an intern, on his/her lunch break. They had two-years & a blank chequebook to come up with an epic and fitting end for this series.

And this is the best they could do?

I agree with everything you've said here. I also think the episode was very predictable, almost too predictable which is unusual for GOT. The reason most people love the show is because they don't stick to the usual script, but I felt like they did here. Dani changed to the villian way too quick for me and like you've said, all very rushed.

I'm hoping there is still a twist, I noticed on the trailer for the final episode it was very winter like in kings landing. Is winter still coming?

I think that ship has sailed tbh.
I agree with everything you've said here. I also think the episode was very predictable, almost too predictable which is unusual for GOT. The reason most people love the show is because they don't stick to the usual script, but I felt like they did here. Dani changed to the villian way too quick for me and like you've said, all very rushed.

Precisely.

You just knew that Arya, The Hound & Jaime would find their way into the inner sanctum of The Red Keep, with little-to-no fuss.

You knew that Drogon would wipe out The Iron Fleet, despite it being portrayed as some kind of floating death machine. I didn’t for one second think that dragon was in any danger of being brought down, to be honest.

You knew that Arya would escape every falling piece of rubble, and every belch of dragon flame.

You knew Jaime wasn’t going to die at the hands of Euron.

But the biggest predictable part of that episode, was Dany’s switch. I genuinely think the writers must have been rubbing their hands with glee, and slapping each other on the back in congratulations, with that concept. They would have been expecting the viewers to be in total stunned shock. I wasn’t. Was anyone? It was fairly predictable as they’d used the previous couple of episodes as settings for it, i.e. threatening the show-favourites, Tyrion & Jon. As soon as she did that, her fate was sealed.

To tell the truth, I don’t mind the storyline of Dany turning bad. But those wheels should have been put in motion 2-3 seasons ago. Not 2-3 hours ago. Now it just doesn’t make sense and isn’t keeping with her character. Oh she’s lost two dragons & her hairdresser? Well, it seems a reasoned and logical response to slay the hundreds of thousands of people you’ve been dying to rule over, for the past 7 seasons. Sure. Women, eh?

Poor, lazy writing IMO, and that’s something this show has never had previously. Strange though, because when the book material dried up, and Benioff & Weiss were allowed to run free in their own direction, they did an excellent job in progressing the story & still producing shocks, twists, turns whilst upholding an excellent plot line. Which makes me wonder if they were stoned when they wrote this pile of ****

Yep, it’s snowing. However, it also started to snow at the end of season 7 when Jamie was on his way up north so a bit odd it suddenly stopped.

For seven years we heard that Winter is coming.

That lasted one day. I wish our winters here were that bad

Yep, it’s snowing. However, it also started to snow at the end of season 7 when Jamie was on his way up north so a bit odd it suddenly stopped.

Yeah I thought that the fine weather back at kings landing was due to the night king being defeated. The theme seems to have been winter foreshadowing the dead.

It's probably nothing, just me wanting a twist and coming up with a wild theory. Everything I've predicted so far has been well wide of the mark. I'll try one final wild theory though haha:

So Bran was odds on with the bookies to rule Westeros before the final series started. Bit of a leftfield choice to put money on without inside information? What if Bran is something more powerful than the night king and the night king did not come to kill Bran but instead came on his instruction? What if Bran is judgement and decides if men deserve to live? the living rallied and united and therefore the man who see's all and knows all lets the living live and hopes they heed the lesson. But Dany goes and slaughters the innocent and Bran changes his mind and decides that the living will not change and need to wiped out and he reveals himself as a night king on roids and brings winter.

Or something along those lines. Not sure that can be covered in one episode but the way they have rushed through the plot so far means there is a chance of a very eventful finale.

Daenyrs has been loved & adored pretty much whereever she's been - even when she killed the Masters in Slavers Bay she thought she was on the right side of history. Now in the north she's mistrusted and disliked, usurped by her lifelong quest by her nephew (that she was shagging). I don't think it's too far a reach to see that she's gone mega-rogue. The Targaryns were apparently only a step away from madness (maybe due to inbreeding!).

What if Dany decided to do the same thing to other cities in Westeros? Thinking that no-one on this continent cares I'm there despite being the most powerful and being the reason the night king was stoppedand just flew off to systematically wipe every city off the map, then just fly back to Essos where she is appreciated. How would they stop that?

Jon will kill Dany as it's set up for "I loved you" moment as JS thrusts his big sword into her (ooer). Bran could warg into the dragon's mind and get it to fly into a mountain.

the issue for me is that:

- you can take an overview perspective of the general plot and see how it's a satisfying conclusion to the story and what it was trying to say in general. In particular, that the characters had logical development and where they ended was generally as a result of their decisions and characters. Dany going mad, Bran being king, Jon having to kill Dany and heading north, Sansa as queen of an independent North - in general that feels a sensible ending.

- also, you can look at many episodes from a standalone perspective, in particular 2, 3, 5 and 6, which do work in terms of either the character pieces (2 and 6) or actions pieces (3 and 5), and feel they really work as an episode of TV drama/action. Last week was like Children of Men at times and a truly visceral moment of TV (and even with faults and issues, was a good episode that shows Dany flip her lid and destroy KL).

so those are two good things, but it's not satisfying because the way that they had to knit the plot they were working towards, with the key set pieces they had to have in mind as stand alone 60-90min episodes, with a reduced number of episodes, meant they just weren't able to logically and clearly get the story resolved in a sensible way. They had too many loose ends that they couldn't resolve properly, along with deus ex machinas they needed to introduce to enable the story to progress quickly enough.

I actually think the task was impossible, the scale was too big and the challenge to complex to really have been improved significantly from what we've been left with. So on the whole it's ok I guess.

Also the nods to fan service were just too much really, along with the ending of the episode - do we really need Pod popping up as kingsguard, or Bronn bantering about brothels? They'd both done nothing for the plot this season at all, so just leave them be. The only thing that could have have been left I guess but actually was pleased it wasn't was the Brienne note about 'Protecting his Queen' in the Knights book, that was well done.

Last edited:
Watched it. Almost completely satisfied with how the characters/plot ended up. How you can protest it when the original author has basically said that's where he wants it to go is beyond me, to be honest.

But, the writing this season has been *horrendous*, laced with try-hard attempts at humour and pandering to social media. Cinematography has been superb and the score has, as ever, been some of the best on television... but **** me the writing has been woeful. It's as if they entrusted the last season with a teenager writing fan fiction.

Have now watched it so I won’t spoil it for those that haven’t but I feel a little “flat” if I am honest
I agree with some of the above regarding the writing and as a complete final of a series thought the stories and ending would have a more “wham” to them.
In saying that I shall no doubt re-watch the last series again and slightly disappointed it shall be no more. This has been one of the best series I have ever watched.

Back