• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Games where that one opposition player destroyed us

Rickie Lambert scored 4 against us for Bristol Rovers.

Junior Agogo I remember tore us apart as well.
I remember this one for two reasons:
1/ When the team is read out and one opposition player gets the biggest cheer, MARK HIM!
2/ I overheard one of the students sitting near us in the away end say to his mate ("I can't believe you got me up on a Saturday to watch this"

Not checked if this one already mentioned ,but Lee Hodges for West Ham in a friendly in the 90s. He was a one man show. The rest were mediocre at best. We went on to sign him!

Nicklas Bendtner was a bloody nightmare playing at RH on loan for Birmingham in our last Championship season. didn't score but was instrumental in a 4-0 win, won everything.
I thought he did score?
I remember him flicking the Vs when we (West Stand) started with the ‘Arsenal Reject’ chants

Easy question, without a doubt Lee Trundle at Roots Hall against Swansea.
He was subbed late on and the whole of Roots Hall stood up and clapped him off, he was unreal that day.
When we gained promotion playing our last match at Swansea , as we left the ground in our coach Mr Trundle was outside the offices and clapped us all the way past.

We obviously returned the applause.

There was a very quick and skilful left back for Southampton, in our last game away to them in the Championship. Tore us to shreds. Think he name was Bale. Not sure what ever came of him ? :Think:
Think he moved to spurs, and then to Spain, where he won a few insignificant trophies. Not sure though.

Stanley Matthews in the 1949/50 FA Cup

F.A.Cup Round 3
Saturday 7th January 1950
Blackpool 4-0 Southend United.

The inevitable happened, Southend proved no match for First Division Blackpool and made their exit from the F.A. Cup in the third round proper. It was a great occasion and Blues will be the first to admit that they were beaten by a far superior side.

United were hypnotised by the twinkling feet of Stanley Matthews who delighted the home crowd by taking the ball right up to the Blues defenders and then taking it away again. The goals came from Matthews’s brain and a firm half back line which took a firm grip of the game. For thirty minutes Southend made a fight of it and threw everything they had into the game and at this stage there was little between the sides, then Blackpool obtained their first goal shortly followed by their second and Blues were out of the game.

Before the kick off the United supporters flag ,with the attendant rattles and horns was paraded round the ground in fine style, then Blackpool in celebration of Stan Matthews selecting the club colours for his racing stable paraded a donkey round the grounds decked in the distinctive tangerine and white colours.

The ground was soaked by two days rain and was extremely heavy, but Blues kicked off with a rush and held their own until the 33rd minute. United were surprised by a long throw into the goalmouth which was driven into the net, straight from the kick off Wakefield burst threw but the ball was cleared to Matthews  who brought the ball up the wing and crossed for Mortensen to fire through a crowd of players to score the second. There was no further score in the first half but the second resumed with Blackpool still in control and the third goal followed ten minutes after the interval, Matthews beautifully sending in a free kick which was headed home. The final goal was a penalty after Frank Walton, who had the unenviable task of marshalling Matthews, brought him down in the area. The attendance 24,532.

Team: Hankey; Loughran and Walton; Wallbanks, Sheard and French; Jones, McAlinden, Wakefield, Morris and Clough.

Blackpool were knocked out by Liverpool 2-1 in the Quarter-finals. Arsenal beat Liverpool in the Final.

Blackpool won their only FA Cup in 1953, three years later. The 1953 line up was:
George Farm, Eddie Shimwell, Tommy Garrett, Ewan Fenton, Harry Johnston (c), Cyril Robinson, Stanley Matthews, Ernie Taylor, Stan Mortensen, Jackie Mudie and Bill Perry.

Apart from Cyril Robinson (who joined Blackpool in 1951) and Ernie Taylor (who joined from Newcastle in 1951) and Bill Perry (who joined from Johannesburg in early 1950), the others all would have been in the squad that played Southend.

Last edited:
A young Gareth Bale running rings round us at Southampton away in our one season in the Championship, may have even been our last game of the season if my memory is correct, I think we were all but down at that point and I can just remember the sheer speed of him.

A young Gareth Bale running rings round us at Southampton away in our one season in the Championship, may have even been our last game of the season if my memory is correct, I think we were all but down at that point and I can just remember the sheer speed of him.
That was the 2006-07 season when we lost 4-1 (after going 1-0 up) at St Mary’s on the last day of the season.

Bizarrely, IIRC we also got relegated in the 2009-10 season (from League One), also finishing the campaign at St Mary’s, also losing after going 1-0 up!

Back