• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

secondalibi

Coach
I apologise if this topic has already been discussed, but I was speaking to a friend of mine (who is a Grays supporter) the other day about various things and the subject of Gary Hooper came up. I told him about his u-turn regarding signing a 2 year deal. My friend is convinced that Gary would have signed a 2 year deal, and probably want to, but he has a problem.......his Dad!!?? From what I can gather Gary's old man is a bit of a pain. He has a habit of sticking his nose in where it's not needed. Apparently when Gary left Grays, the club were upset at losing a good player, but were relieved that they wouldn't have to deal with Mr Hooper senior anymore. Now I don't know if this is true, but I have a few friends who support Grays and they all agree about this, Mr Hooper is in full control with Gary's career. Surely Gary is old enough to do what he wants, but it appears that his decisions are possibly being made for him?

- G

I have heard something very simillar to what you are saying. It does appear that his father has an unhealthy interest in his son's footballing career.

Pushy Dad's always get in the way, sounds like it could be a good reason why he took the U turn and influence by the family sounded more likely than it being anything to do with his agent.

His agent recommended he sign the 2 years so its possible.

Hardly a shocker that a 19 year old takes advice from his Dad though.

an interesting point but i think when it comes down to it if he isn't a registered agent there is only what he can influence as a 'parent'... it's garys call and perhaps he needs to have a word with his dad and ask him to support his choices instead of trying to exercise his dreams and apsirations through him. also this story could be made up and gary wants to be playing 1st team football which people probably wouldnt hold against him. IMO he is good enough to be in our first team next season if he knuckles down and gets off to a good start. the ball is in his court IMO

Agents get a lot of stick. They are not all bad, most aren't in fact. If your agent advises something then there has to be some forceful reason to make you go against it. Quite why his dad (or himself we don't know) would want him to only sign a one year deal is beyond me. If he doesn't sign this contract he is in grave danger of slipping back down to non-league football.

My work colleague younger son is involved with the Grays website and this has mentioned on there site numerous times

A distance relative of mine was at one time involved with Grays and Mr Woodward and this mentioned at a party when we where discusiing the
players that had left grays for us and the infulience that he had over him
at the time he was a grays player

My work colleague younger son is involved with the Grays website and this has mentioned on there site numerous times

A distance relative of mine was at one time involved with Grays and Mr Woodward and this mentioned at a party when we where discusiing the
players that had left grays for us and the infulience that he had over him
at the time he was a grays player

you talk some crap Jolly :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:

Yes we've heard about this problem before, apparently his dad is an absolute nightmare to deal with.

Insider knowledge and all that bollox, yeah, but I know that there are two main influences in Gary Hooper's life and on his footballing career. His pushy and interfering dad being one of them. The other is his uncle who is.....a season ticket holder at Leyton Orient. I know that T and B are more than a little concerned about what outside advice he may be getting, and they don't know what to think about him. They also have a feeling that, for a while at least, Luke Guttridge was trying to influence Hooper's decision. Both were probably recommending Borient.

Insider knowledge and all that bollox, yeah, but I know that there are two main influences in Gary Hooper's life and on his footballing career. His pushy and interfering dad being one of them. The other is his uncle who is.....a season ticket holder at Leyton Orient. I know that T and B are more than a little concerned about what outside advice he may be getting, and they don't know what to think about him. They also have a feeling that, for a while at least, Luke Guttridge was trying to influence Hooper's decision. Both were probably recommending Borient.

Assuming there is this influence from father and uncle which has made gary
request a one year deal instead of the two year deal on the table if the money on offer is better than borient why go there

Borient are going to struggle next term to complete

Before people put a thread on Shrimperzone where they are carrying out character assasinations, it would be nice if it was based on facts rather than third hand here say.
I know MR Hooper Snr and I can assure you the contents of this thread are total rubbish and some of you should be ashamed of what you have written.
As with regards to the boy turning down a 2 year deal, you shouldnt have a go without knowing all the facts.
Lastly has it ever crossed your mind of the distress you might cause to people when you write stuff that is not true.

From what i have heard, it was all down to "an option" in his contract which he signed when he first joined the club. Im not fully sure of the details etc... but people on here know i dont spout bull****!

Back