• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gary Hooper

Reassurances about his future?

Well it doesnt say much then in the period of him signing a new contract & being shipped out on loan immediately, then seeing Barnard, Revell, Walker & Kanu all arrive.

In football there's always an element of bull being used I suspect here that Tilly and Ron have used some.

Well Kanu won't be here next year and I doubt that Charlie Mac or Matt Harrold will either. And with Lee Barnard's terrible injury record I think Hoops can and will get game next season.

I just don't see why he'd sign a new two year contract and then be loaned out to a Club who have no chance of being able to afford to take him off of us for a decent price unless it was purely to get him games. You're suggesting that Ron Martin and Steve Tilson have cynically lied to him to make a few quid for the Club and I just can't buy that.

I agree Kanu wont be here esp if Reading get relegated but expect Tilly to add an experienced striker to our ranks over the summer.

Assuming we sign Walker as well then Hoops is still down the pecking order, I just cant see him getting more than a fleeting sub appearance at best.

Its far better to loan him out rather than let him linger in the stiffs of course hence him being shipped out to Hereford.

And who's to say the bulls couldnt afford him? Should they get promoted then they will have money in the coffers and might be tempted to make an offer.

I dont either think that Tilly or Ron have lied to him intentionally but at the end of the day football is a business and anyone under the age of 24 with a decent amount of talent will be safeguarded.

The last time that Hereford United spent money on a player was August 1997(thank you Soccerbase), and that was a nominal fee. They're skint.

The last time that Hereford United spent money on a player was August 1997(thank you Soccerbase), and that was a nominal fee. They're skint.

Or since 1997 (apart from past couple of seasons) they've been in the conference battling away, now they are on the verge of a promotion and will get some kind of money should they get promoted.

Just out of interest how much do people think Gary Hooper is actually worth?

Its very hard to value players in this league... when you hear Barnard fetched just 40k you would say Hooper is worth hardly anything but I think having scored a few goals in League 2 you could be looking at just under 100k!?!

At the other end of the scale wasn't Harrold 150k... that makes Hooper a steal at 50k ;) I hope he stays - but if we go up I don't think he will!!!

Good move for Hoops. WIggy you are talking balls as always, it was the right decision to let him on loan. But you only have to look how many goals people like Jack Lester have scored to see the massive gulf between League 2 and Championship.

Personally cant see why the is so much fuss.

Hooper would not start ahead of Barney, Walker or Kanu in a million years at the moment. We clearly see promise so have shipped him out on loan to get him some more experience and confidence.

Scenarios are as I see it

1) He comes back full of confidence in himself ready for play offs
2) Hereford by some miracle come up with some cash and buy him
3) As he is in the shop window another club buy him

Stop me if I am wrong but what is the problem with any of the above. Not like we have struggled without him is it.

Personally cant see why the is so much fuss.

Hooper would not start ahead of Barney, Walker or Kanu in a million years at the moment. We clearly see promise so have shipped him out on loan to get him some more experience and confidence.

Scenarios are as I see it

1) He comes back full of confidence in himself ready for play offs
2) Hereford by some miracle come up with some cash and buy him
3) As he is in the shop window another club buy him

Stop me if I am wrong but what is the problem with any of the above. Not like we have struggled without him is it.

Exactly. Also, you could say that sending him out on loan was a masterstroke because it has worked, and he is now scoring goals.

Exactly. Also, you could say that sending him out on loan was a masterstroke because it has worked, and he is now scoring goals.

agreed... it doesn't seem like hoops has be complaining. i think he still could have a future at southend, more likely if we didn't get promoted but he definitely has something about him, but like kightly, it doesn't ever mean that we will turn him into a class player, maybe he needs a drop and a kick up the a*se

Back