• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Gateshead 1-1 Southend United

Fair dos, saying 100% he was to blame is not correct. But his error was the primary contributor to the goal. That is a fact. To put the blame on their goal on our defending is disingenuous; any pressure on them came form Mooney having zero interest in challenging for a ball he lost control of under minimal pressure.

Whether or not he wants out of the club is another matter and, IMO, has no impression on one’s view of his contribution to the game. Everyone else in this squad is pulling up trees and performing miracles. We don’t have the squad size for players that aren’t contributing or giving 100%. So my perspective of things is that we have a tiny squad but out of all of them, only Mooney is not giving 100% and his avoidable error lead to their goal. How he gets a start ahead of Wood I have no idea.

Your fact is opinion.

So the ball to Mooney was perfect? The defenders, brook and Kensdale were perfect?

After watching it again I'm even less blaming Mooney.

The finish was superb by the way.
But I wouldn't pin it on Mooney.

I thought their goal all started with a rather ropey pass from Cards to be honest. Then it just went to **** from there, with a number of bad movements and decisions from several players, all contributing to the goal. Not taking anything away from Wearne either. It was a terrific drive and hit from the lad.

Your fact is opinion.

So the ball to Mooney was perfect? The defenders, brook and Kensdale were perfect?

Wouldn’t you ? I would… Mooney could have put his foot through the ball rather than simply flick his toe at it !!! Most of his other teammates wouldn’t have given up possession so easily. 😕

With regards to Mooney's challenge or not; it's his body language that worried me.
A shrug of the shoulders and a half jog won't do it for a side busting a collective gut to defy the odds.
Note, the gesture from Kensdale (?) when the goal is scored. His outstretched arms while @D1versity's camera pans back to Mooney, arms outstretched also, says much.
Playing badly or well is one thing; barely trying is another.

Your fact is opinion.

I think you are right in the sense others also could have done better however I think what is the most annoying part of it is how Mooney doesn’t appear ready for the ball to come anywhere near him, he also appears half heartedly to challenge for the ball and then doesn’t even attempt to put pressure on the player who beats him to it.

On the live BBC Essex commentary Glen Pennyfather put the blame for the goal on Mooney for not making a committed challenge when we lost the ball..

Yes Mooney should have done better, win that ball and we were dangerous, however it was a good challenge on him and a very well taken goal by a player full of confidence and bang on form.
Would Dan have done better if he was playing with confidence and playing more minutes, undoubtedly BUT atm we can't, in the situation, provide that.

Sorry but moonie just does not cut it .We brought him in as a goal scorer from mid field i thought But i dont think he want to be at southend his game ratio is very poor As soon as the embargo gets lifted .Hopefuly we will find a better replacement .

For me does Mooney 'fit' the way we play? No. Has Mooney shown any sign of being able to adapt to meet the demands of the team? No. Does Mooney display a body language that gives his team mates, or less importantly us, confidence that he's up for the collective fight that being part of the SUFC family requires at this time ? No. We all can see there is a player in there but currently overall he's like an Amazon package delivery, in the right street just not the right house! I hope we are soon in a position to make a positive change for not only the team but the lad himself because he is clearly unhappy here!

Wouldn’t you ? I would… Mooney could have put his foot through the ball rather than simply flick his toe at it !!! Most of his other teammates wouldn’t have given up possession so easily. 😕
If he'd gifted possession away in our box sure - but it was in the opposition half and debatable it was even gifted away - the pass to him was poor.

How about Kensdales wave of a toe instead of a challenge?

Overall I think it's a quality finish. We are going to concede goals and don't need to find a victim for each one.

On the live BBC Essex commentary Glen Pennyfather put the blame for the goal on Mooney for not making a committed challenge when we lost the ball..

Mooney’s instinct is to try and beat a man. If it works that’s better than a committed challenge as it’s us in the position Gateshead found themselves in.

However it didn’t work. That’s not him bottling a challenge it’s him trying to make things happen.

@ShrimperStats made a good comparison between him and Bridge. Bridge wouldn’t have tried to beat his man there. He’d have looked to take a touch earlier and lay it off. Mooney tries to let the ball roll in order to draw the man in because if he then beat him it opens things up.

Mooney’s instinct is to try and beat a man. If it works that’s better than a committed challenge as it’s us in the position Gateshead found themselves in.

However it didn’t work. That’s not him bottling a challenge it’s him trying to make things happen.

@ShrimperStats made a good comparison between him and Bridge. Bridge wouldn’t have tried to beat his man there. He’d have looked to take a touch earlier and lay it off. Mooney tries to let the ball roll in order to draw the man in because if he then beat him it opens things up.
All well and good.
Note his reaction after he loses the ball - that's the real issue.

Note to Mooney - fans want you to play with extreme caution at all times - never 'try anything' in case you lose the ball. You'll never create a chance by playing this way, but more importantly you won't lose possession so we won't be able to pin conceding a goal on you.
I've now written this four times in various places: losing the ball is one thing; it's what he did next that irked.

I’m mystified. Every season in recent history fans seem to feel the need to find a scapegoat. I, guessing Mooney is praying for Powell to get fit so the spotlight can return to him. I’ve seen their goal endless times. The pass to him wasn’t the best but it was in their half. Should he have done better? Yes. Could one of three defenders have prevented the shot coming in? Yes.

Perhaps if he had a bit more support that might be a start. I don’t but any bollocks about not wanting to be here. Even if he wants out he is ultimately a professional. I suspect his fellow pros and SUFC players (and management) don’t see things the same way as some on here.

I’m mystified. Every season in recent history fans seem to feel the need to find a scapegoat. I, guessing Mooney is praying for Powell to get fit so the spotlight can return to him. I’ve seen their goal endless times. The pass to him wasn’t the best but it was in their half. Should he have done better? Yes. Could one of three defenders have prevented the shot coming in? Yes.

Perhaps if he had a bit more support that might be a start. I don’t but any bollocks about not wanting to be here. Even if he wants out he is ultimately a professional. I suspect his fellow pros and SUFC players (and management) don’t see things the same way as some on here.
If Mooney is thinking that then that sums up exactly why he doesn’t deserve to be here. It’s not about finding a scapegoat at all but any player who hadn’t been getting the game time they think they should be busting a gut to impress. All we want is players to put the effort in and that’s why there is so much love between the players and the fans because they are unbelievable characters who are are so driven and determined and even if they make a mistake we know they will bust a gut to try at least to win it back. I don’t think anyone can justify Mooneys reaction after the ball went and that’s the issue. Even if he tried to track back we would have appreciated that but he basically stood there with his arms out and gave up.

I think you have to accept that being unhappy affects positive mentality. A professional mindset is not well supported if there are thought processes that undermine the individuals constitution. From what I have been told, Kev and his team have had cause within recent weeks to be very 'protective' of the player. Nothing is ever as clear cut as it may seem and we all have our private battles at times. Let's hope better times are ahead for him soon.

If Mooney is thinking that then that sums up exactly why he doesn’t deserve to be here. It’s not about finding a scapegoat at all but any player who hadn’t been getting the game time they think they should be busting a gut to impress. All we want is players to put the effort in and that’s why there is so much love between the players and the fans because they are unbelievable characters who are are so driven and determined and even if they make a mistake we know they will bust a gut to try at least to win it back. I don’t think anyone can justify Mooneys reaction after the ball went and that’s the issue. Even if he tried to track back we would have appreciated that but he basically stood there with his arms out and gave up.

That's not shown on the TV footage. His momentum is taking him away from the player who wins the ball - looks like Mooney turns and jogs back (like all of our players that are ahead of the ball at this point) - player nearest the ball and facing the player(Noor? Taylor?) doesn't close down, but rather backs off.

No player always busts a gut to win ball back - I distinctly remember later in the game Noor losing the ball and making no effort to win it back. Look at Kensdale here at 2:03 - is he busting a gut to get back after clearly loosing the ball? Mooney didn't even have the ball under control due to the poor pass and he's being blamed for losing it!

I've now written this four times in various places: losing the ball is one thing; it's what he did next that irked.

1701085834530.jpeg

He’s lost the ball. He’s now facing the wrong way with his momentum taking him further away from the play.

He’s now got no chance of closing down the man with the ball. The ball is then swiftly moved forward before any of our deeper midfielders can get back, let alone Mooney.

What he does next is irrelevant because his decision to try and beat the man has taken him out of the game.

View attachment 30032

He’s lost the ball. He’s now facing the wrong way with his momentum taking him further away from the play.

He’s now got no chance of closing down the man with the ball. The ball is then swiftly moved forward before any of our deeper midfielders can get back, let alone Mooney.

What he does next is irrelevant because his decision to try and beat the man has taken him out of the game.
What he does next is drop his head, and half shrug.
What Kensdale, in a few seconds after the ball is picked out of the net, does is remonstrate with him; arms outstretched.
What Mooney does is much the same. Is he saying sorry, or something else?
That's a question for him, one supposes.

Back