• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Gateshead 1-1 Southend United

what an empty soulless s ** thole
give me a rundown Roots Hall any day
You're right: it's soulless, but far from a s*******. It's been refurbished three times since inception in 1955, same year as Roots Hall was opened.
BUT it was always intended as an athletics track, and even Heed supporters don't like the place as a football ground.
That missing roof meant to cover away fans?
Remember, Gateshead Council own the place but govt cuts means they currently haven't the funds to replace.
That said, think how many foreign grounds have a track between pitch and stands?
The Stadio Olimpico in Rome for starters - and they house two teams!
Imagine, having to not only share but stare into the distance once every second week!

Haven’t been to an away match for a couple of years but travelled up from North Wales (400 miles round trip) to visit Gateshead FC for our first time.
Both sides played good football and cancelled each other out.
Tremendous work rate from Southend and well supported yet again.
The ground is awful and the layout means its impossible to generate any atmosphere.
Freezing cold weather but luckily it didn’t rain as there is no cover on the meccano like roof.
Got home before 9 and relaxed in the knowledge that this Southend side and management is as good as any of the past, and I have supported and watched them since the 50’s.

what an empty soulless s ** thole
give me a rundown Roots Hall any day

I was at work, so I watched it on the National League stream, and the Gateshead fans sounded in good voice, and couldn’t hear our fans.

Admittedly, the camera was in the “home” end with the fan fans opposite so unlikely to hear our fans across there.

No commentary for the game though, not sure if that’s the norm for Gateshead.

Terrific point. I’d have taken a point before the game, then seeing the line ups I’d have been praying for a point, and actually it was a game with two decent footballing sides. They moved the ball quicker than us, and created better openings, however Kanu should have done better, and Wood hit the bar. They had the one on one which Martin did excellently for, and hit the woodwork.

A bit like the Man City Liverpool match, a point was arguably a fair result, but we’d be happier with it then Gateshead will.

I was at work, so I watched it on the National League stream, and the Gateshead fans sounded in good voice, and couldn’t hear our fans.

Admittedly, the camera was in the “home” end with the fan fans opposite so unlikely to hear our fans across there.

No commentary for the game though, not sure if that’s the norm for Gateshead.

Terrific point. I’d have taken a point before the game, then seeing the line ups I’d have been praying for a point, and actually it was a game with two decent footballing sides. They moved the ball quicker than us, and created better openings, however Kanu should have done better, and Wood hit the bar. They had the one on one which Martin did excellently for, and hit the woodwork.

A bit like the Man City Liverpool match, a point was arguably a fair result, but we’d be happier with it then Gateshead will.
For last season's game there was home commentary.Don't think we missed the 2 Geordies though.Personally I was happy with BBC ssex's commentary in the 2nd half (Thanks Spaceman).

You're right: it's soulless, but far from a s*******. It's been refurbished three times since inception in 1955, same year as Roots Hall was opened.
BUT it was always intended as an athletics track, and even Heed supporters don't like the place as a football ground.
That missing roof meant to cover away fans?
Remember, Gateshead Council own the place but govt cuts means they currently haven't the funds to replace.
That said, think how many foreign grounds have a track between pitch and stands?
The Stadio Olimpico in Rome for starters - and they house two teams!
Imagine, having to not only share but stare into the distance once every second week!
I said on the live game thread, there's nothing worse in football than a football ground with an athletics track.

For last season's game there was home commentary.Don't think we missed the 2 Geordies though.Personally I was happy with BBC ssex's commentary in the 2nd half (Thanks Spaceman).
Yep, I started with BBC Essex. For some strange reason the BBC commentary has suddenly become available on my mobile here again. I sometimes find the task of connecting impossible with that head-banging situation of going around in circles. Them saying, "you have to sign on to hear commentary"........I sign on.........which brings a repeat of, "you have to sign on to hear commentary." .........and on and on.:Angry: The last couple of games, no problem! I didn't quite manage to get the image and commentary in sync., the image always being five seconds in advance. Strange, celebrating the goal before the commentary had accorded it!:Smile:

I actually found that watching without a commentary team was far better than with it. It was a real eye opener to realise that Heed fans chanting was done by so few. Perhaps they all travel to home games in a mini bus.

My opinion on yesterdays hard fought point is that it was a similar game that played out when we played Rochdale away.

- Opposition had chances to extend their lead after they had scored.
- Our first half tactics were exposed and we were happy to be only facing a 1 goal deficit going into the 2nd half.
- King Kevin made some half time tactical changes with the starting XI, without having the luxury of doing it with substitutions.
- Equalizer came during a good period of sustained pressure.
- Once it was scored we were comfortable and could have nicked all 3 points.

In general, a fair result against a team that is playing good football at the moment. One of the better teams that I have seen us play this season.

Yep, I started with BBC Essex. For some strange reason the BBC commentary has suddenly become available on my mobile here again. I sometimes find the task of connecting impossible with that head-banging situation of going around in circles. Them saying, "you have to sign on to hear commentary"........I sign on.........which brings a repeat of, "you have to sign on to hear commentary." .........and on and on.:Angry: The last couple of games, no problem! I didn't quite manage to get the image and commentary in sync., the image always being five seconds in advance. Strange, celebrating the goal before the commentary had accorded it!:Smile:

Yogi as I said I didn't start with BBC Essex since Spaceman Spiff's original link didn't work (for some reason) Only switched at HT.Good to hear the BBC Essex service has been OK for the last few games.I miss the old Ifollow days when you could choose home or away commemtary.

I actually found that watching without a commentary team was far better than with it. It was a real eye opener to realise that Heed fans chanting was done by so few. Perhaps they all travel to home games in a mini bus.
Not here -having some problems with the printer these days.While it's true we haven't been able to change the team much this seasoon (for obvious reasons) yesterday there were a couple of changes.

Back